PDA

View Full Version : Centermount vs standard mount

Burns310r
07-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Is there any advantage other than looks on the centermount? I think the center mount may be more anoying due to having to remove the air box and not run a rear number plate. I guess i dont see what the problem is with running it off to the side.

Also im running a LRD BB adjuable on my ESR 330PV TRX 9 engine, and it just doesnt feel like its right for the porting.

So im thinking i may switch to a ESR TRX9 pipe, i have heard they are really good pipes.

Anybody have any experiance with switching from a LRD BB pipe to an ESR pipe on a ESR motor?

The bike is a MX build.

Thanks

J250r
07-20-2011, 09:27 AM
I think I've heard that centermount pipes keep the engine at significantly lower temperatures

SilverLake250R
07-20-2011, 09:38 AM
They do help lower temperatures, similar to a regular big bore pipe, and I have heard they add a little response. I have one and love it, besides the exhaust on my rear fender. Also, they are LOUD.

Burns310r
07-20-2011, 09:42 AM
You do have to remove the air box though correct?

danhung11
07-20-2011, 09:43 AM
I, too, like the centermounts. I think it's a preference thing, I kind of like the smoke and fumes coming out from directly underneath me. :D I have a 5 centermount if you are interested, I can send it if you like the fitment. If not, just send it back with my packaging. I think the shipping would probably be ~$22.

Thanks,
Dan

Burns310r
07-20-2011, 09:46 AM
your wanting to sell the pipe? How much?

Im really trying to take advantage of my Porting to. Mis matching porting with the pipe probably wont work the way im hoping.

Anybody use a Center mount for MX? Do you not run an airbox? No rear number plate?

I think running an open filter would cause some problems on the track. Especially practice when they water the crap outta the track.

wilkin250r
07-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Burns310r
Mis matching porting with the pipe probably wont work the way im hoping.

No, it won't. It's like saying you don't want your big 454 chevy engine to be too loud, so you run it through an exhaust system designed for a honda civic. You're not going to get powerful and quiet, what you're going to get is garbage. You're going to blow out the exhaust so it will still be loud, but the exhaust can't breath so it will also be gutless.

Your porting and your pipe NEED to compliment each other. High rev porting is done with big ports, get rid of the exhaust quickly. But that same aspect also just kills the low-end power, it just can't do it. A low-rev pipe is tuned to provide pressure waves at low RPMs, those pressure waves just aren't timed right for high revs. So your pipe is trying to build power at low revs, but your porting won't let it. They're fighting each other. When your porting finally wants to come alive at high revs, the pipe won't let it. They're fighting each other again.

What you end up with isn't the best of both worlds, it's the WORST of both worlds. It runs like crap at low rpms and runs like crap at high rpms. It's just garbage everywhere.

Langbolt
07-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey Burns310R,

If you're running the LRD Adjustable Big Bore pipe.....How do you have it Adjusted ?

The midsections should be brought right in as far as they can for TOP END

If they're out too far.....like Wilkin250R said....they'll be fightin' each other....

It might be a bit of Trial & Error.

Good luck

:devil:

wilkin250r
07-20-2011, 10:25 AM
And yes, centermount exhaust pipes do indeed leave your filter exposed. I would say for your application, a regular mount pipe would be better than a centermount.

Centermount pipes do indeed have an advantage over regular mounting. If you don't know basic pipe terminology, check this article here: Two Stroke Engine Explanation (http://www.atvriders.com/articles/twostroke.html) and pay special attention to the last paragraph and what the stinger section is.

I can't give you a full explanation of pipe design in one post, but the stinger diameter and length have a significant impact on the power delivery, as well as the heat retained in the pipe. A centermount pipe is able to give you a shorter stinger section than a standard side-mount pipe, which gives you a little less backpressure, and also holds less heat in the pipe. That's why they're also recommended for big-bore engines, because the centermount pipes breath a little better than side-mount pipes because of that shorter stinger section.

But even with all that, I'd still probably reccomend a regular side-mount pipe for your application, simply because of the airbox.

danhung11
07-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Burns310r
your wanting to sell the pipe? How much? $200 Shippped, includes everything you need.

Im really trying to take advantage of my Porting to. Mis matching porting with the pipe probably wont work the way im hoping. - Correct, wilkin250r answered your questions. The TRX5 is a midrange pipe.

Anybody use a Center mount for MX? Do you not run an airbox? No rear number plate? Yes, you can still run a numberplate. You just will be covering the back of it with exhaust crap.

I think running an open filter would cause some problems on the track. Especially practice when they water the crap outta the track.

I've never seen large puddles on a MX track, that could be dangerous. In addition, the air filter is tucked up in there pretty well. I've run this setup on MX platforms for a while now. I like the CFM plate over the ESR, I have one I bought that is modified for a Centermount. Will throw it all in there for $200 shipped.

wilkin250r
07-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by danhung11
I like the CFM plate over the ESR, I have one I bought that is modified for a Centermount.

I want pictures of this CFM plate. Where did you get it from?

danhung11
07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I want pictures of this CFM plate. Where did you get it from?

Here is a modified one for centermount, I did.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/100_2164.jpg

Here is unmodified one for side mount.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/100_2231.jpg

danhung11
07-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Sorry Erik - they are listed on eBay from time to time.

troybilt
07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
I must be the odd balll, cuz I prefer the airbox, but its just personal preference no way in a racing application, MX/XC/Desert would I run an open element though, again just my personal preference. Dan has had great luck with his filter setups and they are simple in design which I really like! I'd say go for it and give it a try...

atvmxr
07-20-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm with troy. airbox all the way for MX. in TX they really overwater the tracks and puddles are common.

Anyone every go out for the first or second practice at a National? plenty of puddles!!! ;)

danhung11
07-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
I'm with troy. airbox all the way for MX. in TX they really overwater the tracks and puddles are common.

Anyone every go out for the first or second practice at a National? plenty of puddles!!! ;)

I'm surprised there is actually water down in Houston area these days...LOL!

Burns310r
07-20-2011, 01:15 PM
They practice sessions can get pretty darn muddy. I think a TRX9 regular pipe might just be what I need.

Anybody have one they want to trade a LRD BB Adjustable pipe for? (It is off one of Nate Frees Pro Am bikes)

sangheraent
07-20-2011, 04:05 PM
where I live they water the track when it gets super dusty even if it hasn't rained in a month there are puddles on the track for at least half an hour after they water it. I would never run without an air box on an mx track.

but every track is different. my friend runs without an airbox on his yfz and he swears that water will never get there. (hes only had it on for 1 dune trip, and I bet his bike will blow)

wilkin250r
07-20-2011, 07:44 PM
I wonder if that's where mine came from. I've got some sort of aluminum plate on mine as an airbox eliminator, using the stock 86 intake boot from the plate to carb. It looks REALLY similar to that, and I've never seen another one. I was always wondering where it came from.

I'm going to have to investigate that a little more, because I really like it. I also like your modifications for the centermount pipe, I'm probably going to do something really similar on my 340PV, I'm going to try TRX5 centermount pipe on it, I think it will give me a little better power then the Duncan Eliminator I have now.

Langbolt
07-21-2011, 10:25 AM
wilkin250R

Look here:

Filter Bracket (http://www.jlatvproducts.com)

250R Parts section

Part# BB250

:devil:

etccb
07-22-2011, 07:59 AM
That is or works the same.
The # is BB250K.