PDA

View Full Version : CCP Steering Stabilizer Review

CJM
07-19-2011, 05:12 PM
I wanted to report back good news since I installed one of the ccp stabilizers about a month ago.

This thing really does work. I was skeptical to a degree b/c it really didnt seem like it did much just testing it out sitting on the quad and I didnt perceive much difference while riding-but it does work!

The bumps and such I feel less to a degree, but the fatigue you get and arm pump are GONE. I have it pretty much cranked up to the highest setting then backed off a hair. I can ride all day long and get zero arm pump, my hands do not hurt and it smoothed out the washes and whoops to a degree.

Ex: Went riding to hazelton PA and its all rocks pretty much. Everyone else complained about thier hands going near numb from all the bumps-I was fine the entire time and had no problems. I also found the quad a tad more controllable period and if you run over things like a stump it doesnt grab the bars out of your hands.

Its well worth the money these things cost. While I cant speak of a stick typ stabilizer, the ccp puck style took me 15 mins to install and was worth every penny I paid for it.

inv3ctiv3
07-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Couldn't agree more I love mine! I think it was one of the first mods I ever did and love it.

tri5ron
07-19-2011, 05:29 PM
hahaha,...
So do I get to say...
"told ya so" ?

DnB_racing
07-19-2011, 05:34 PM
stabilizers are one of those odd things ..kinda weird in the way that its hard to notice something if nothing happens, no pump or hard square hits,just a smooth ride

its not like you notice it being much better, but you dont notice the bad...

you really notice how good they are when you take it off, then you wonder how you ever got by without one

CJM
07-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
hahaha,...
So do I get to say...
"told ya so" ?

Yea Ron, you win lol..

honda400ex2003
07-19-2011, 07:57 PM
sounds pretty nice as usual! glad to hear you finally picked one up and you are happy with it.

steve

CJM
07-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Its well worth the coin even if I did score it used in super shape. :devil:

honda400ex2003
07-19-2011, 08:08 PM
even better!

steve

dxcody
07-20-2011, 11:43 PM
my buddy just spend 500 on a used Precison Pro and he loves it and tells me i need one all the time.. not gonna lie i give him a ton of **** for using one, mostly because he brags about how much faster he is with it which is dumb because i have always been taught that nothing makes you faster except yourself. and i wouldnt ever spend 500 bucks on one, sounds like ill get a ccp if i ever get one.

tri5ron
07-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
. not gonna lie i give him a ton of **** for using one, mostly because he brags about how much faster he is with it which is dumb because i have always been taught that nothing makes you faster except yourself.
no matter how good you ride,or think you can ride,.....

... you can only be as fast, as your equipment ALLOWS you to be.

your buddy is not blowing smoke up your A$zz.
He IS able to ride faster with a stabilizer.
That's just the cold hard truth, of the advantages it provides.

You'll never really understand it, until you put one on your own machine, and experience it for yourself.

No B.S. here,...
... trails that were beating the crap out of me in the top of third, to the middle of forth,
I am now blowing through them PEGGED in FIFTH,... and wishing I had a SIXTH !!!

Stop giving your buddy a hard time, and buy the CCP.
then you can give him some more crap for spending $500, and you'll have spent only $200, for the same gains.

what do you have to lose ???

trust me, you don't have anything to lose, other than some arm pump, and upper body cramps.

what do you have to gain ???

lets see,...
better handling, less fatigue, more control, and better lap times.

Hmmm,.... seems like a no-brainer to me.

btw, looking at your sig,...
you should first consider upgrading your front shocks.
They will ALSO help you to ride much better and faster.

Then add the stabilizer, and be ready for a greatly improved performance envelope from your bike, that you couldn't even imagine now.

While your at it,
you might want to consider a 450r carb, +6 timing key,any decent slip-on, head pipe weld grind, and a better air filter.

but then again,... what the hell do I know ?

I'm only getting over 32whp, ( that's ON THE GROUND),... proven on a calibrated dyno,.... out of mine,...
.... on the STOCK PISTON and CAM.

my quad can ride better than I can,... and that's the way I like it.

dxcody
07-21-2011, 07:49 AM
lol oh i trust you ron,
and i totally agree on likeing the machine to be better than yourself, i would rather know my limits than the machines limits for sure.
One thing i never really got is, why do MX guys use stabilizers?? FOr ruts?

mx Eli
07-21-2011, 02:26 PM
stabilizers for mx are a godsent. they the same thing as they do on a trail but on a track they help u go as fast as possible without the bars ripping out of your arms.

Speed37
07-21-2011, 09:28 PM
my quad can ride better than I can,... and that's the way I like it. [/B][/QUOTE]
Didnt know a quad could ride itsself :D
But you need suspension first! anyone who knows a lil about racing will tell you. Well first i need to upgrade, so lol

chronicsmoke
07-22-2011, 05:56 AM
I wonder how the Precision compares to the CCP?

Most guys that buy a Precision say that the CCP is junk, but maybe they are trying to justify their 5-600$ purchase?

I have my CCP set almost all the way hard, and I dont need anymore dampning.. Maybe they are that much better.. but at 500$, I'll stick with my CCP

dxcody
07-22-2011, 06:05 AM
on CCP when you set it does it make it hard to turn? like stiff like the stick ones? the prec. steering is normal its not tight and everything unless you run into something, but i dont know what the difference is between the regular and the pro, more settings maybe?

chronicsmoke
07-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
on CCP when you set it does it make it hard to turn? like stiff like the stick ones? the prec. steering is normal its not tight and everything unless you run into something, but i dont know what the difference is between the regular and the pro, more settings maybe?

No they dont make it hard to turn.. when you have the front tires in the air, you can feel the resistance at the bars, but I dont notice it when the tires are on the ground..

What I notice the most is that you have to correct the bars to point straight out of a turn, they dont do it automatically from the forward momentum.

Everybody that rides it says it's hard to ride, until they do 2-3 laps that is :D

DragonGunner
07-22-2011, 10:06 AM
I've used for years a Denton "stick" stabilizer.....how many of you guys used this type of stabilizer before using the CCP? If you had no stabilizer then any is better than done...so how does CCP compare against the "Stick" stabilizers...better, worse or the same?????

dxcody
07-23-2011, 02:11 AM
the only bad things i hear about the stick ones are that they come out of adjustment

CJM
07-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Sticks are ok, I think the puck/ccp design is a better one.

Guy I know races on a yfz450. He has a stick, no matter what his comes loose, just the nature of the design as the thing has to little contact area-and hes not using red loctite on it he says.

DragonGunner
07-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Mine has never came loose. I remember going to the Red Bud MX track an watching the Pro Quads race....would see alot of Pro quads with 2 stick stablizers on them!!! I was there last year but don't remember looking to see what they were running....poor John Natalie broke down on the last lap in the second moto...
I also went to Red Bud MX track fopr a open practice, took turns with the motocycles...man that track was rough an rutty...ya 2 sticks would be better than 1....bet most pro's running the ccp type anymore.

MtnEX
07-23-2011, 11:50 PM
The CCP is NICE!

I put one on my KFX because I was going to buy a Precision, but ended up needing other parts too.

So I was basically stuck with a choice there and decided I did not want to run another race without one. I ran one too many without one and ended up having such a hard bar-rip happen that it snapped the steering stop off my KFX.

So I picked up the CCP and have to say it seems pretty darn good. It does not have the adjustability of some of the high dollar ones. But it is a very good piece for the money.

I set mine to 2, bolted it on and went to run a race on it, never even tried it out.

With that said, I did that thinking 1 was minimum and 8 was max... so yes it does have a little resistance, but even near max you think nothing of it with fresh arms. However, for me I figured out over the long haul that it does add enough resistance at the bars to be a problem in a long twisty XC race, particularly if you are like me and already had issues with your arms/hands.

It is going to take some time with it to find the setting that is right for me. But this piece is way worth the money. It helps a ton I've found, even when turned way down.

You can go faster with it PERIOD and that is for several reasons. Not only does it absorb impact, but on my 450 with twice the power, I really realize how much it keeps the rear in check too. Helps it not dart around too... and also allows me to get back on the gas sooner and way harder without it breaking loose sideways or wanting to swap ends.

Is a Precision Pro better? Sure it is, pretty much in every way. But at the same time, it by gosh better be for the price difference... and whether or not it is worth that extra premium... well that is debatable.

vinson581
07-24-2011, 08:31 AM
ive had them all, the only thing i like better about the precision on my yfzR is the adjustability of the center from the sides this is a nice feature once you understand how to use it, the difference is very noticable. the impact resistance of the precision is great, you can litterly hold on with one hand over some of the nastiest stream beds filled with basketball sized rocks and the bars DO NOT move! its one of those products that you dont think do anything after awhile(at first upon install your like holy **** what a difference) then after two or three months of having it you dont even notice it doing anything, that is until you hop on the same bike without a stabilizer, and go holy **** once again this thing is tossing me all over the place. in order of quality , stick, ccp, precision. i think the ccp really fills the gap between the sticks and someone who doesnt want or need a 500$ stabilizer, think of it this way. stick stabilizers are like a basic set of elka rec shocks (a HUGE improvement over stock) the ccb is like a set with a resivour and compression adjustment, the precision is like a set of finely tune fox floats or axis air's. (best way i could think to describle it lol)

i think stabilizers come down to preference, one of my buddies would rather have 2 stick stabilizers over the other styles because it makes the steering VERY stiff, and he claims its easier to just hang on over the whoops (Pro am rider)

Stickman400
07-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Does anyone have a pic of one of these installed? I've been wanting a good stabilizer and I can only see this or the Streamline stick stabilizer(which sticks out of the front of the frame, which I don't like) are my only 2 choices. And I'm just wondering how secure this thing bolts up, because I have alot of big hard landings from jumping and I don't want to break it after I hit my jump a couple times. Basically do you think it bolts up secure and can take a beating?

tri5ron
07-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Does anyone have a pic of one of these installed? I've been wanting a good stabilizer and I can only see this or the Streamline stick stabilizer(which sticks out of the front of the frame, which I don't like) are my only 2 choices. And I'm just wondering how secure this thing bolts up, because I have alot of big hard landings from jumping and I don't want to break it after I hit my jump a couple times. Basically do you think it bolts up secure and can take a beating?
lots of pics,.... happy reading.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349366&highlight=steering+stabilizer

dxcody
08-02-2011, 01:12 AM
This should be a sticky

there is alot of people who ask about the CCP stabilizer,
it is now on my christmas list.

dxcody
08-02-2011, 01:20 AM
And even tho ron doesnt like me anymore, and no one else prolly does either because instead of suffering from A.A.D.S, i suffer from stupidity, (too poor to suffer from AADS)

I AM STILL BLAMING YOU GUYS IF I DONT LIKE IT!
and i am shipping it to your door with a letter from my lawyer (too poor to afford one of them either) if it breaks.

:devil:

01 400EXer
08-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Anyone have one to sell for a 400EX? Thanks!

tri5ron
08-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by 01 400EXer
Anyone have one to sell for a 400EX? Thanks! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-TRX-400EX-CCP-steering-stabilizer-free-shipping-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0c7ba3c7QQitemZ27079 2369095QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

01 400EXer
08-09-2011, 07:41 AM
I contacted him directly and purchased one along with a rebuild kit. I just recieved it yesterday and put it on in about 5 minutes. I immediately could tell the difference and I am sure I am going to like it a lot. I can't wait to go for a real ride now. I may take it off and do a little engraving so I can see the adjustments I make easier. I have remote rezzy shocks and it is very hard to see the stabilizer even from the side. It appears to be a very solid stabilizer and the quality looks really nice. I can't wait to really test it out.

Stickman400
12-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I finally got one of these the other day. Sadly I won't be able to test it until next spring it seems like, but it looks good, lol. I was just wondering if you guys torqued your bolts down to the specs that were included. I put my Craftsman 3/8" drive torque wrench on it and it never popped. I stopped after it started crushing my frame tube. I also don't think it bolts up the same as the older models he had either. I'll take some pics.

CJM
12-05-2011, 12:29 AM
You crushed your frame tube??? Dude thats WAY to tight lol.

I got mine used, just made it tight and loctited it.

Stickman400
12-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Yea, I kinda figured that. It doesn't look like this style of mount, http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349366&highlight=steering+stabilizer It's just a half-clamp style that doesn't wrap all the way around the tube, so it pinched it more than crushed it, but yea.

CJM
12-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Mine is the new style as well. I had no issues. possible your frames tweaked or you had it out to far when tightening it?

Stickman400
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Ok, well I just went out and loosened them up and torqued them down to 7lb/ft and then checked them with a regular ratchet. I think that that torque wrench doesn't work well on aluminum, especially when the bolt you're trying to torque isn't bottomed out. Anyway, it's a very nice piece. Does anyone on here think they would want to ride with this thing on 1? You'd have a good workout if you did, that's for sure.

Jake250ex
12-06-2011, 10:52 AM
you have it almost on the highest level? do you ride in the desert or something cause idk how the heck you turn the thing. turn it up high and its like a steering lock.

I had a ccp on my 450r... I used it for one xc race and it was the worst arm pump ive ever had in my life. I think I had it set too stiff. I played with it alot but I always had arm pump like crazy I just ended up taking it off. Its sounds crazy to hear ppl say it cures arm pump. Im not alone on this... my buddy I ride with alot bought a brand new precision, used it once and its sitting in his garage now. He wont the jr a gncc championship too this year so he knows about bike setup.

the ccp is a good product but stabilizers arent for everyone. but thats an entire new subject

CJM
12-06-2011, 10:56 AM
IDK I have no issues with turning my bars or arm pump. If anything it helped my arm pump and made it easier to steer for me during whoops and such.

Mine is also set at the highest it can go.

Stickman400
12-06-2011, 03:35 PM
High as in 1 or 8? I have mine on 6, which is fairly soft. 8 is softest, 1 is like a steering lock.

CJM
12-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Just checked, its set at 2.

Stickman400
12-06-2011, 09:44 PM
2??? That's nuts. I'd have crazy arm pump and feel like I'm riding a 4x4 with 33s on it, geez.

CJM
12-06-2011, 09:47 PM
2??? That's nuts. I'd have crazy arm pump and feel like I'm riding a 4x4 with 33s on it, geez.

Never had an issue with it really lol.

chronicsmoke
12-07-2011, 06:13 AM
I have mine set at 2-3.. It's stiff enough that when I let go of the bars while turning, it keeps the bars pointed in the direction you're going. I don't get arm pump really, but I'm only doing short motos not 2+ hour races

I'm looking for one for my 250r and 400ex too

DnB_racing
12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Never had an issue with it really lol. me neither... I run mine just about all the way tight,

i feel way more forearm pump without the stabilizer,

with the stabilizer I dont have to death grip the bars going through and over rough stuff, I am able to use my upper arms and shoulders more and im able to keep my elbows much higher and act like shocks instead of just trying to hold on..

the tighter settings the better protection from jolts, and the grip is relaxed MUCH more,

if your getting arm pump with stabilizer your not using it to its potential, and your still holding on like there is no stabilizer installed... tighten it up and use your stronger more blood flowing muscles of your upper arms and relax your grip,

also a gripper seat and good pegs help to relax the grip, and take the strain off your forearms put the strain on the muscles that have better blood flow

CJM
12-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Just rechecked mine today, its set to 4, so I was a bit off but still.

I find that in order to control your bike thru harsh terrain you need a properly setup suspension (or something better than stock at least), good tires/wheels, proper inflating in the tires nerf bars with kick ups and fatpegs of some kind (UNBELIEVABLE! just how horrible the stock pegs are and how much more control a good set of nerfs with kick ups and pegs gives you!) and the stabilizer just is the icing on the cake.

Trust me when is say it, I ride ALOT of washboards and the stabilizer helps a ton.

Stickman400
12-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I was messing with it earlier before I started tearing it down for winter and bumped it up to 4 or 5, it was alittle stiffer but not noticeable compared to nothing. And what kind of nerfs do you have? I was thinking of getting a set of those Pro-Armor pegs but I wasn't sure if they tear the sole of your boot up alot.

CJM
12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Im super happy with my tusk nerfs w/kick ups, got them off ebay cheap. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=99&navTitle=ATV+Parts&webCatId=24&keyword=tusk+nerf&prodFamilyId=16169 but now rocky my is selling them just as cheap.

What sets them apart from most others is the large footpeg area with kick up on it. They are sharp but not to the point they cut up your boots.

I also like how they bolt up using a peg replacement and to the motor mounts and rear frame mounts. Havent busted them yet.

Personally speaking they make it that much more stable feeling b/c you dont worry about running over your feet. I also wont run ones without the heelguards

maddmaxxx
12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Just rechecked mine today, its set to 4, so I was a bit off but still.

I find that in order to control your bike thru harsh terrain you need a properly setup suspension (or something better than stock at least), good tires/wheels, proper inflating in the tires nerf bars with kick ups and fatpegs of some kind (UNBELIEVABLE! just how horrible the stock pegs are and how much more control a good set of nerfs with kick ups and pegs gives you!) and the stabilizer just is the icing on the cake.

Trust me when is say it, I ride ALOT of washboards and the stabilizer helps a ton.

-just bought one off eprey [ccp stabilizer]...theres a bunch of you guyzes i follow like the Gospel

-thankyou for the heads~up, mr cjm !!! :)

CJM
12-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Your welcome!

maddmaxxx
12-10-2011, 04:19 PM
-re'cd today [my x~mas present to myself] lol lol

-too bad it was 10* out today dam

-fit and quality is superlative

-hopefully the weather breaks soonly...cant wait :D

smorris1
03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Ok, well I just went out and loosened them up and torqued them down to 7lb/ft and then checked them with a regular ratchet. I think that that torque wrench doesn't work well on aluminum, especially when the bolt you're trying to torque isn't bottomed out. Anyway, it's a very nice piece. Does anyone on here think they would want to ride with this thing on 1? You'd have a good workout if you did, that's for sure.

I just bought one and I followed the torque specs too and it started to pinch my frame tubes as well. I think it says 20ft/lb. I used my torque wrench and I know it works fine. Im kinda pissed. I hope this doesnt cause problems to the frame.

Stickman400
03-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Yea I just tightened it down with a regular ratchet. I think it actually would kinda help keep it in place and from moving back and forth if it ever got hit by something. Idk, just throwing that out there. And I don't think it would hurt the frame at all pinching it like it did.