PDA

View Full Version : I've got a drive problem......HELP!!!!

JohnChilders
07-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Ok, so I got my first atv about a month ago. Its got its things that need fixing. The chain was way to loose when I bought it. So I removed a link. Now its perfect. but i had adjusting the axle to far back making it to tight. i went on one or two rides like that(jumps, creeks and mudding included). When we were getting back to the trucks, it started making a loud, hard clicking, clanking noise. It is definitely coming from the chain and/or sprocket(s). The front sprocket is has freeplay. i can wiggle it sideways. Something is causing it to chip teeth on the rear sprocket. I want to be able to ride by Friday, so I was hoping to find some info on here. Thanks guys.

Btw its a 2000 300ex

jjm400ex
07-17-2011, 06:22 PM
sounds like you need front/rear sprockets and new oring chain

JohnChilders
07-17-2011, 06:29 PM
so the spindle the front sprocket isn't going to be the problem?

wilkin250r
07-22-2011, 11:31 AM
I've seen old chains break sprockets because they're rusted and don't spin true.

Either way, you're going to need a complete new chain, front, and rear sprocket. Complete, don't get cheap and try to reuse some of your old stuff, it already has proven it doesn't work. The site sponser C&D Racing gave me the best price I could find on a complete chain and sprocket set, I even order my streetbike chains from them.

A new chain and sprocket is going to cost you $100 or more. A broken chain most often whips around and cracks the engine case, and that becomes a $800 fix (and after you fix the engine case, you still need to pay the $100 to get a new chain and sprockets). An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

rooster300ex
07-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Yea don't go to cheap. All though I run primary drive sprockets, and they work great for me. If u get a cheap chain its gonna stretch really quick. U will be adjusting it all the time.

JohnChilders
07-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Thats the brand i got. It looks nice. But wow this o-ring chain is much wider than the standard chain1

Tyler01
07-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Do you know when the last time the axle bearings been changed?

JohnChilders
07-23-2011, 09:27 AM
I bought it about a month ago. It has been a little mistreated by the previous owner.

HondaPohl
07-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Check to see if you have axle play. Grease them babies real good too.

JohnChilders
07-23-2011, 07:16 PM
I bought a used carrier from a user on here. I'll find out wednesday