PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own a Motocross bike- wanting one

BULLET99Z28
07-17-2011, 05:33 PM
I've never owned a bike, and haven't ridden for a long time. I think I'm going to look for a CR 250 or CR125, always wanted one of those. Im about 6' 1 and 170lbs. What would you guys recomend? I might race it after I get some good seat time. I think it would be fun to have in addition the R' I'm building. I don't want to be disappointed with the 125, but don't wanna get my *** handed to me by the 250 either. I'm looking at 03 and up probably.

CanuckR
07-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Don't get a 125 you will be bored within the 1st or 2nd weekend.
I ride with pretty much all dirt bikes. The 97-01 CR is probably the best 2 stroke motor honda put in their bikes. All of the bikes are great. Im a big kawi fan as thats what I have the most seat time on. The kawi's seem to have the best bottom end power generally speaking from my experience. The newer CR's left a bit to be desired in the motor department personally. The RM's are also great bikes, they turn really well. I don't have any time on the YZ and minimal time on a KTM, Most of the bikes I have ridden are 05 or newer. unfortunately none of them are mine. Just friends bikes.
If I were going to buy an 05 or newer bike I'd get a kawi or a ktm personally.
Derek

Grande Huevos
07-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Iv ridin alot of bikes in my days and i think mostly all of them are decent bikes. I would personally get a Cr or Rm if i had my choice. I dont think you will b dissapointed w any of them i had a 05 kx 250 and loved it never had any probs. I would try and get somthing newer 05 and up just because the new tech is better. The 125s and 250s are the same size only real diff is motor. a 125 is fun and plenty of power for most but in my expierance a 250 is actually easier to ride because of the extra power you dont have to be on the pipe as much and they have way more bottom end torque! I think you would get used to it pretty fast and like it alot! bikes are fun when u get good on them and u can go 100 times more places then a quad could even think about going, and you can crash them pretty hard and usually not even hurt them! As long as you remember where your clutch and rear brakes are you should be fine!

hartwill
07-18-2011, 08:18 PM
I think my favorite 2stroke bike would have to be the kx250 or yz250, Im pretty sure you will be searching for ways to increase power soon after buying a 125. Now if your interested in checking out the dark side, I have a nice yz426 Im looking to trade for an R:D

wilkin250r
07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
You know, Will doesn't have a bad idea.

A 400cc or bigger 4-stroke will give you all the power you'll need so you won't be bored within a week, but also all the control you need so you don't kill yourself your first day on a CR250.

I've been riding a small dirtbike quite a bit lately, and I can tell you, it's a different world. It takes some REAL getting used to. The power really does indeed feel different with a twist throttle. I'm not saying that you can't handle a CR250, it's just a sharp learning curve. A big 4-stroke would help that transition until you get used to riding a dirtbike, and then jump on a CR250 when you're ready to handle it.

BULLET99Z28
07-18-2011, 09:51 PM
I know, I'm just so partial to 2strokes and Honda, but it really seems like all the bikes out there are so darn competetive. Lookin to spend around 2k on something decent,and really there are quite a few bikes out there in that price range. Thanks for the input fellas.

beobe99
07-19-2011, 09:48 AM
If this is your first dirt bike coming from a quad I think you'll be best on a cr125. Getting used to 2 wheels is going to take a bit of adjusting and dealing with both the nutty power of a 250 along with adjusting to 2 wheels might be over whelming and you'll say F dirt bikes haha. Nothings permanent, so you can always sell the 125 later for a 250.

CanuckR
07-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Go 2 stroke.
If you do get a 4 stroke get a 250f In my opinion. The 450s are unreal, open the throttle up and go over backwards. You don't even feel the front end come up.
I honestly feel that at a beginner level you could ride a 250f faster or atleast as fast as you could ride a 250. They dont make as much power but it is really easy to stay where the power is.
They are quick

buck440
07-19-2011, 02:54 PM
00-01 are the best motor years 02+ had slightly diff plastics and frame geometry. i'd get a 01 cr250r. i'd rather have an aluminum frame than a rusted steel frame too unless you get one of the newer 2 stroke bikes but that'll cost more.

i came from a 400ex to a cr250r with no problem. it is a big change though. way more power with a lot less traction sure will keep you puckered lol. you'll definitely like the powerband. isn't that why people get 2 strokes?

i wish i still had mine but lost my job and needed money bad. sold it for like $900? put $5000 in mods in it.

buck440
07-19-2011, 03:02 PM
oh yah, i'm on this forum and fmx guys use mostly 2 strokes and are constantly trading and selling their bikes. if you see anything interesting, let me know and i'll get more info for you.

just about every other week you'll see fully built bikes that pro fmx riders use being sold for like $2000 so keep an eye out.

http://freestylemtx.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

86kicks250r
07-19-2011, 09:57 PM
As mentioned 00 and especially 01 if you want a powerful motor, 97 stiff frames, or go with 03+ would be the best, great handling suspension, a little more tame motor than the 01 but if you want it to hit hard you can easily change the squish/porting to do so. Also has the newer style plastics if your into looks. Raced mx honda 2 stroke dirtbikes my whole life cr80's on up from mid 90's to 07. Still got my 01 cr250 that flat out hauls the mail. You cant go wrong with a 250, you can set on that sucker and ride it wfo as long as you can hang on and not get bored, or you can do some mods and make that sucker a torque monster if your riding style is like that. Wanna go real cheap and oldschool get a 96 steel frame those were good ones too best of that era. 250fs and 450fs had those and raced those too, talk about boring! Used fourstroke is one thing, plan on keeping it a few years, plan on $$$, been through that a few times, even if you do the work yourself