PDA

View Full Version : Can car dealerships notarize titles?

Hondamaster5505
07-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm buying a car off a guy tomorrow. He works at a dealership and we're going up during his work hours.

All of the notaries there won't let him get the title notarized without me there.

Can car dealerships notarize titles? So say I go to get the car, and with me there, get the title notarized right where he works?

HondaPohl
07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
they sell cars. Should be able to.

CJM
07-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Since when do you notarize a title? Least in NJ all you have to do is sign it, seller signs and it you take to dmv and they hand you a new title

HondaPohl
07-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Good question. I always just sign the title. But if you want a new title in your name in PA, I think it has to be notorized. Especially for a car. Cant get insurance or registration if its not in your name.

Hondamaster5505
07-17-2011, 08:31 PM
I thought it needs to be notarized? Because even if he just sells it, if it's not notarized, I wouldn't be able to get the title in my name?

CJM
07-17-2011, 08:36 PM
I dont know for sure. Like I said earlier, here all you do is sign, bring to DMV and register and they hand you a new one.

Hondamaster5505
07-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Just looked it up. The seller NEEDS to have his signature notarized in PA.

I hope the dealer can do it. Otherwise we'll have to do it during his lunch break.

supraloud84
07-18-2011, 05:26 AM
As long as they have somebody there that is a certified notary. All that means is that they took the test and the y have a rubber stamp that says they are a notary. The reason they probably wont do it without you there is if there has to be 2 signatures on the title and they stamp that document they are responsible for the authenticity of both signatures.

smr
07-18-2011, 06:53 AM
each state is a little different. In Tn if it's a boat or motorcycle you just have to sign it. But a car has to be notorized. In Ky everything has to be notorized even a trailer. I buy and sell lots of bikes, my father in law in a notory public so he travels with me most of the time to do the transfers. It makes it much easier than meeting at the court house.

supraloud84 is 100% correct. They are sworn by law to authenticate each signature.

Aarons 01 400EX
07-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by supraloud84
As long as they have somebody there that is a certified notary. All that means is that they took the test and the y have a rubber stamp that says they are a notary. The reason they probably wont do it without you there is if there has to be 2 signatures on the title and they stamp that document they are responsible for the authenticity of both signatures.

In IL, it is just an application and fee. Then you get the stamper/crimper that puts it on the paper. My wife is a notary in IL.