PDA

View Full Version : frame ?

4strokernow
07-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I've got an opportunity to pick up an 05 frame for next to nothing and was wondering if I'd have to mod it in any way for my 01 stuff to fit on it?...I know its a dumb question but I'd hate to buy it then be stuck with it.

dxcody
07-17-2011, 12:32 AM
there are quite a few differenses on 05-12 frames and 99-04 but if you can pick it up really cheap, buy it and resell it. I personally dont know how much modding you will have to do, but i am betting it is quite a bit as they changed many things from 04-05, the plastic, the tank, the subframe is smaller i am pretty sure but i wouldnt go by word on the subframe. and idk if a 01 sub-frame will fit an 05 or not.

supertrooper90
07-17-2011, 09:27 AM
I have a 99 and my wife has an 05. I never really looked super close, but they look pretty much the same to me. Aside from plastics and reverse, the 400ex hasnt changed since 99. I would have to take a guess that you would have to do very little to swap frames if you ever needed to. Probably nothing a couple zip ties couldnt fix. I do know that her skid plate fits on mine, and ive had to boost afew other odds and ends to be ready for a race lol and ive never had a problem.

NacsMXer
07-17-2011, 09:57 AM
I have an 06 frame that I donored onto my 2000 machine, so same difference as your 05 to 01 comparison.

Everything bolts up no problem, subframe included. There are only small differences, like extra frame tabs here and there. The CDI has a different way of mounting with a different sock. Also the major wiring harness connectors no longer have tabs on the frame to hold the plastic connectors. Instead, everthing including the CDI is mounted to a single metal bracket between the upper front shock mounts. I purchased the bracket to be able to mount my old 2000 harness to the 2006 frame, it is inexpensive.

The differences are minor, all major components bolt up the same way.