View Full Version : Clutch levers

mysticfalcon
12-05-2001, 01:36 AM
anyone seen the msr raptor clutch levers? I was looking through RMATV catalog and they said that there motorcycle only but a buddy of mune said that since the 400ex id desinged on a motocycle engine it might work. They look sweet with the colored finger pads.

kc 300EX
12-05-2001, 01:22 PM
If its a Raptor clutch and perch, then it CANT be just for Dirtbikes, i mean, the Raptor is a quad, So im betting it will work on anything, as long as it has a cable operated clutch, wich yes, most quads and dirt bikes have

oynot400
12-05-2001, 01:29 PM
Don't waste your money on the MSR Raptor clutch lever. In my opinion it is a poor quailty lever. I ruined one clutch cable and the adjustment bolt because it did not pull the cable straight. There are better quailty levers out there for the same money.

mysticfalcon
12-06-2001, 12:40 AM
Anyone recomend any other clutch with the cool colored lever like the raptor

redrizza
12-06-2001, 12:03 PM
I Have a Raptor lever. I like it, I think it works great, it's proved it's durability after a couple crashes. I only have one complaint about it. If you race or get really muddy, its hard to hold on to once it gets muddy. In muddy conditions I'd much rather have a smoth chromoly lever, you can hook your fingers around. It hasn't ruined any of my cables, although you do have to make sure the adjuster is in line with the cable, or it is possible to frey your cable. Hope this helps.

12-06-2001, 01:12 PM
Go with the works connection perch and lever if you can afford it like ($125) I think, anyway I use one on my R and it has a nice light pull. It uses a ball-bearing adjustment wheel. Plus it sits on a collar that allows it to rotate instead of bending when you roll.

hippy440
12-06-2001, 07:37 PM
do not buy a magnum easypull clutch lever the perch cap broke before i got the bolts tight and the adjuster snagged the cable every time i turned it.. JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

400MXer
12-06-2001, 10:54 PM
My MSR Raptor lever did the same thing. I didn't even have it tight yet ( i could still tap it and move it all the way around the bars) and the thing broke. I have the stock piece on there with the Raptor lever and perch. I don't think it's a very high quality lever, flimsy, not to durable. When i buy another one i'm going to get an RTC lever. I really like them, and they are good quality. Nice levers. I've also wondered about the Hydrolic levers. Are they worth it?

12-07-2001, 02:18 PM
So you robbing a bank or a gas station to pay fer all that???:D

12-07-2001, 06:10 PM
Scroll down to see RTC levers, I have heard there really good.
http://www.lrdperformance.com/ (www.lrdperformance.com/acc.htm)

motoboy66
12-20-2001, 05:50 PM
Check out the MSR Dominator sets. I got one made for an XR400 and it works better than my stock one. It is high quality and built to last. It has a bronze bushing in the lever, and a teflon insert in the perch, so it will not break when u roll it. I got mine for $18.68 for both from a dealer. I know Rocky Mountain has them in thier 2002 catalouge.

JEFF8400EX
12-20-2001, 06:37 PM
i have a fly racing clutch lever it has a brass bushing for a nice easy pull it also has quick adj knob. it is a super clutch lever. the price is around $60 i think it is as good as a works conniction and it is cheaper

12-20-2001, 06:39 PM
What about the CR clutch levers, I herd they were good and cheep?

redrider ex
12-20-2001, 07:35 PM
I went to the honda store the other day and bought a sureline
lever and perch its ok but while i was there i saw a lever in a glass case that was very cool i forgot the name but it had a bending area in the lever with a spring that would allow it to bend
incase of a wreck and would pop back into place it has a 5 year warrinty on it and cost $80 bucks

atvtrailrider
12-20-2001, 09:29 PM
The billetanium clutch is sweet!

http://www.off-road.com/atv/projects/400ex/billetanium/clutch.html
:cool:

12-20-2001, 11:08 PM
why spend alot of money on something thats bound to break,don't let anyone tell you msr raptor levers are good,cause there junk,i'd just go with a honda cr lever,good ,cheap

beerock
12-20-2001, 11:42 PM
out of all the levers I have used, the one I have now is the chubbiest!!!:)

its a billet sunline perch/lever with on the fly adjustment, it also has a oring in the threads to keep the dirt out. the pull on it is great and it has a brass bushing on the inside.

JEFF8400EX, sounds like you have the same lever I have. the sunline.

mysticfalcon
12-21-2001, 12:55 AM
does anyone make a shorty lever that will fit the stock perch. I use my parking brake too much to think about going without it but i greatly prefer the shorty lever because i usualy use 2 fingures to clutch and bang my knukles with the lever.

JEFF8400EX
12-21-2001, 05:41 AM
no i don't think so but you could cut the lever you have know alot of people do that

Foxrage
12-21-2001, 06:27 AM
The PEP is a good one no problems with it and it has a great price of only 33 from advanced atv.

RideRed400EX
12-21-2001, 10:27 AM
I haven't seen the billetanium in action but stay away from hydraulic clutches with the highly modified motors. The clutch line on the 400ex goes right between the headers (HOT) and there isn't enough slack to route it elsewhere. Seen two people fry their lines during a race .

quadfamily
12-21-2001, 04:19 PM
Im surprised that nobody mentioned the Moose adjust on the fly lever/perch. I have one on my 300EX and on my sons 250X. It looks like an exact copy of the Works Connection one that sells for over $100. It has a nylon bushing that goes between the clamp and the bars so if you wreck it could spin around on the bars instead of breaking. It also has needle bearings on the lever for a nice easy pull with little slop. It pulls the cable nice and straight and the quality looks very good. It only lists for around $45 and the replacement levers are pretty cheap, cheap enough that you can afford to carry a spare in your toolbox. I highly recommend it for the price. The Sunline perch uses a CR lever I believe but the perch looked kind of cheap to me. If you're going to go with a CR type setup do yourself a favor and get all genuine Honda parts. Some of the aftermarket perches don't work the way they should with CR levers. There was a really good clutch perch "shootout" in Dirt Wheels a few months ago. I suggest reading it although they didn't mention the Moose.

Clay
12-22-2001, 12:38 AM
I have the CR250 Lever and Perch, got in from the Local Honda Shop. Its cheap, has a light pull and feels great. Good buy for the money.

trx400ex
12-22-2001, 08:33 AM
the pep ez pull freakin rules! i rode on it last night, sooooooooooooo much better than stock. if you still have the stock get this.......hey nacs did you have to take the little chip from the old lever to put on the new one? the one that lets you start in gear