PDA

View Full Version : groove in cylinder what to do

2001400exrida
07-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey everybody, i've got a 426 that's been sitting on the back burner for months now. I have a small groove in the cylinder and i'm wondering if it's going to be ok to run build it back up with that groove.

i put a fresh 426 piston in it and rode for 4 hours until the cam sprocket popped off. i posted pictures of the damage awhile back. What i'm wondering is, with the groove in the cylinder do i need to be trying to bore it out again?

the piston is still good and the groove can really only be felt with a fingernail but i don't want to go to the trouble of putting it back together if that piston is not going to run right.

if i bore it a little can i still use my piston?

Thumpin440ex
07-15-2011, 09:20 PM
How bad is the groove?? All depends, some times they can be honed out, some times they need bored..

John

2001400exrida
07-15-2011, 09:30 PM
done it definetly need some attention though? it is not that big, u can see it with the naked eye and feel it with your fingernail rubbing across it but it runs from the upper part of the cylinder to the lower part, it's up and down not around.

hybridracer686
07-15-2011, 10:34 PM
run a well oiled hone throu it to clen it up as long as there are no ruff edges then it should not cause any problems. sounds like a bit of grit may have goten in there. only need to make about five strokes with the hone on a drill at low speed. good luck! but if you arent shure have someone look at it could be a simple fix.