PDA

View Full Version : A hill climbing video, HD and some slow motion footage

HondaATC500X
07-15-2011, 11:04 AM
This is myself and some buddies down here at a place that has some old dug out pits, tons of fun to ride in...check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyqz6oOhGN8

Tommy Warren
07-15-2011, 11:34 AM
awesome video! I could watch paddles in slow motion all day.....

Thumpin440ex
07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Bad *** vid man...

John

wykyd450R
07-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Awesome video and machines!!

rooster300ex
07-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Whoever is riding the atc needs to lean forward. He wouldn't be having that problem goin up them lil hills

HondaATC500X
07-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, glad ya like it! Thats actually me on the 250R, I have crappy paddles and believe it or not a lot of the hills its just as much about keeping traction as it is not coming over backwards, so I tend to stand in the middle or the bike or towards the *** of it to keep traction. The sand is really, really soft, pretty similar to desert sand actually. I've gotten to the top of more than a few and just ran out of traction and buried it.

That was +6 arm, that I had built on it. I just sold it and I'm either going to build a +8 or maybe a +10 to replace it to help me out just a little bit more.

Scro
07-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Awesome video. Makes me miss the days that I used to hillclimb.

sly400ex
07-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Different but awesome video man! :D If you don't mind me asking, who was Ronnie Hopkins?

sly400ex
07-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Different but awesome video man! :D If you don't mind me asking, who was Ronnie Hopkins?

I just read up on who he was, seemed like a really cool cat. RIP man.

Black Sheep
07-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Whoever is riding the atc needs to lean forward. He wouldn't be having that problem goin up them lil hills

I agree those are little hills and it puzzles me why you would even need paddles or a plus 6 swingarm let alone a plus 8 or 10. But, I have never ridden there so I won't criticize the riders technique.

I would like to ride there though because based on the hills I have climbed I think I could do it without paddles or a extended swingarm. Maybe a trip to Flordia is in order.

Cool video though

Xowner
07-16-2011, 09:09 PM

WHO IS RONNIE HOPKINS!?!

Only the coolest man to ever ride 3 wheels!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQnjHOMceDQ

:cool:

Black Sheep
07-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Thats what I'm talking about.!!!

I don't know the people in the video but, I am very good friends with the person who put it all together and posted it for Ronnie. That video is from about 20 years ago at the same place as the first video. If you look at around the 5-7 minute mark there is a guy on a 85/86 ATC 250R launching off those hills. He is doing that with stock tires and swingarm. So i don't see the need for paddles and extended swingarms...especially anything over a plus 2.

Xowner
07-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Please go back and look again there are some very streched out bikes with paddles climbing stuff in that video too.
Ronnie told me personally that most of those hills down there couldn't be climbed on a stock arm and stock tires.
So no need to start a war on who can and who can't ride just enjoy the video.

mx Eli
07-17-2011, 12:49 PM
at 6:30 watch the chain jiggle:huh :eek2:

HondaATC500X
07-17-2011, 01:00 PM
I just read up on who he was, seemed like a really cool cat. RIP man.

Ronnie was a great guy and pioneered a lot of stuff that most people don't even know about. Would totally give you the shirt off of his back. His funeral last year had about 500 people at it...standing room only at the funeral home, out in the hallways and everything. Definitely a guru and a friend that'll be missed.

Black Sheep
07-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Xowner
So no need to start a war on who can and who can't ride just enjoy the video.

This is not some "other" site. People here are allowed to have there opinions. No ones trying to start a war. You reading to much into what I said. In fact if you re-read what I wrote I said no offense to the riders techniques. I also said it was a cool video. I just questioned why a +10 swingarm would be needed. I have seen both videos plenty of times and I have climbed plenty of hills in my 30+ years of riding. Many of them a lot longer and steeper. I have never seen the need for a longer swingarm. I relize Ronnie may have been a friend to you but the man was not a god may he R.I.P. Just because one person says it does not mean it's a fact!!!

I would honestly like to know why the original author feels the need for a longer (especially a +10) swingarm is needed. I apologize if my question "offends" you.

Thumpin440ex
07-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
I just questioned why a +10 swingarm would be needed. I have seen both videos plenty of times and I have climbed plenty of hills in my 30+ years of riding. Many of them a lot longer and steeper. I have never seen the need for a longer swingarm.

Maybe because you are just a superior ride, to all the guys in the vid, the orig poster.. Different strokes for different folks.. A over swinger def makes hill climbs easier, esp on a trike...

John

Black Sheep
07-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
...A over swinger def makes hill climbs easier, esp on a trike...

John

Yeah, I guess I need to learn how to ride one of them 3 wheeled contraptions. :rolleyes:

Is asking a question a sin on message boards?

I thought it was a legitimate question that did not warrent a bunch of smart arse remarks.

Black Sheep
07-18-2011, 01:53 AM
Check out this video with some "hills" that are a lot steeper. All done on a stock ATC 350X which has a much shorter wheelbase then a 250R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sczmc8CSEuc

So again I will ask..."the original poster" (not the peanut gallery) why he feels the need for a +10 swingarm? Is there something I am missing?

Thumpin440ex
07-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Nothing smart arse about that comment I left.. Your reading to much into what I said.. ;)

John

HondaATC500X
07-18-2011, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXwENwQ244k

A different video from a few months ago, same place.

Xowner
07-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
This is not some "other" site. People here are allowed to have there opinions. No ones trying to start a war. You reading to much into what I said. In fact if you re-read what I wrote I said no offense to the riders techniques. I also said it was a cool video. I just questioned why a +10 swingarm would be needed. I have seen both videos plenty of times and I have climbed plenty of hills in my 30+ years of riding. Many of them a lot longer and steeper. I have never seen the need for a longer swingarm. I relize Ronnie may have been a friend to you but the man was not a god may he R.I.P. Just because one person says it does not mean it's a fact!!!

I would honestly like to know why the original author feels the need for a longer (especially a +10) swingarm is needed. I apologize if my question "offends" you.

Bill I been to hernado that video doesnt do it justice, Those hills are no joke.

Nice video you posted too

Black Sheep
07-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Xowner
Bill I been to hernado that video doesnt do it justice, Those hills are no joke.

Nice video you posted too

I just might go there (Hernado) on one of my next "triken across america" trips. One thing I noticed is they go up the same hills. I like to blaze new ones. But the best part is once you get to the top...jumping back down them :eek2:

That vid was from the Badlands. I might be meeting up with Jensen and a TPC customer in the next month or so. Hopefully we'll get some good video. Someone has to teach Eric how to ride a trike :devil:

HondaATC500X
09-05-2012, 02:31 PM
I just uploaded another one from over the weekend, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pu0x6HoSdA