PDA

View Full Version : 2012 450R is Brand new amazing

250Renvy
07-14-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm surprised Phantomrider didn't update us on the impressive new machine.

Wow, they didn't even give it bold new graphics. It's just a 2009 with a new date.

55stone
07-14-2011, 09:24 PM
yep super gay and not going to sell

brewster426
07-15-2011, 07:27 AM
That's Honda! Same ol same ol. That's why they had drum brakes in the utility quads for 20 years. They hardly ever update anything!

scottproquad
07-15-2011, 02:39 PM
HEY HEY HEY I love my drum brakes!! LOL easy to adjust when they dont hold!!!

brewster426
07-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Yea they were real nice in 1973 lol

OutlawEX
07-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Sad thing is, its only be sold as an ER not R. So save $400 more for the kickstart

y2jay
07-16-2011, 06:43 AM
It's just what I have been waiting for

Honda you ****ing suck

Foxhound013
07-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Does anybody else wonder why its only an er. I still believe phantomrider is right. I think they are trying to clear out all the parts they have of the old model (hence the no R and just an ER). My guess is if phantomriders right, we'll see the brand new Honda 450 next year.

blacknblue#2
07-18-2011, 07:49 AM
I think we are all gonna be in for a surprise. I could be wrong but time will tell. That is an 09 exactly even down to the "bold new graphics" they have been selling them as an 09 this whole time so they wouldnt call them a 2012 now. And the MSRP states "TBD". I think they are just dropping hints of something. I say we will know around september

250Renvy
07-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
I think we are all gonna be in for a surprise. I could be wrong but time will tell. That is an 09 exactly even down to the "bold new graphics" they have been selling them as an 09 this whole time so they wouldnt call them a 2012 now. And the MSRP states "TBD". I think they are just dropping hints of something. I say we will know around september

I think time has proven we are NOT in for a surprise and that any NEW honda quad has been shelved.

This is an exact Repeat of the late 80's and early 90's. It's so much a repeat that it's unbelievable.

Back in the late 80's Yamaha was the only one with a continued performance quad platform and as of now it's the exact same thing. Suzuki is gone, Kawasaki made one model year with different graphics/colors but no updates exactly like before and now they are gone, KTM is gone, Honda is gone. They will label their 2009 to 2012 just to clear them out. I suspect they won't be back.

D Bergstrom
07-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy

This is an exact Repeat of the late 80's and early 90's. It's so much a repeat that it's unbelievable.

I don't think this is a repeat at all. Honda quit selling the 250R because they were getting their butts sued off, why keep producing somthing to generate more lawsuits. The current economy is the problem now, people just don't have the money to spend on toys. Sure Yamaha is still producing and updating quads, but what are production numbers like? How many leftovers did they have before they released the new model? How many are they producing and how many are they selling every year? I think Yamaha was able to adjust quicker to the current economy.

I know when I go to my local riding areas, I bet 60 to 70% of the quads I see are Honda's. Tells me two things, one, Honda produced ALOT of quads that they are still trying to get rid of, and two, people will buy them. I was at my local dealer a few months ago because I wanted to buy another TRX700XX. Dealer couldn't get one, Honda has no more in the warehouse, only ones that are left are currently with dealers. Inquired about the 450R and he told me what they have on the floor is it, Honda also has no more to give to dealers. I do not think Honda will get out of the sport quad market. Some peole say that Utility quads are the big sellers, maybe on the east coast and middle of the country, but come out to the west coast, mostly sport quads out here. Cut the sport quads and the west coast ATV sales will take a big hit.

As far as the "2012" Honda, who cares if it is the same? It is a good quad, I know if I was going to go out and buy any new 450, it would still be a Honda. Of course, as a racer, I swap everything out anyway, so I don't care about a "race ready" quad. Even if the quad came 50" wide with better shocks, I would still swap stuff out, I feel aftermarket stuff will still be better.

I think that Honda does have a new 450R that will be released, they just want to hold off until they know there will be sales. I think they will do what Yamaha did when they released their new 450, keep the current model year as a narrower quad, then release a new "R" model. I think the sport quad market is just to big for them not to be in it.

Even if Honda did release the biggest, baddest quad ever, I am sure I will not be buying one. No matter what they come out with, it won't be any better then what I currently have in my garage. About the only way I see me getting one is if they add EFI and then all the suspension pivots are exactly the same as the old one, so I can take my current suspension and add it to the new ones. I would say EFI is a given, but I bet they will change the suspension in someway that will make my current suspension not work.

This is just my two cents, I guess we just have to wait and see.

Doug

89rebel
07-18-2011, 01:53 PM
When the first yfz came out it was a big hit, and then the z400 added to the hype of riding sport quads. Over the past few years all the manufacturers put out state of the art machines that we read about then go dump $7k +. With my experiance riding quads I love them ,No dought. But the recession has taught everybody a lesson. These are just recreational toys,NOT necessaties and for everybody who had to sell their machine which they spent Thou$$$and$ on and sold them for half of what they payed ( myself ) They are not worth the $. I live in the midwest and I have no place to ride and even if I did my buddies are out of riding. So even a slightly used Machine for $3k is not worth it to me. I guess what im saying is there are TONS of "Like new" quads out there for a steal and even at the great prices they will be around for a long time. I dont think the atv market will be what it was for a while yet. Personally I'll think it over before i ever dump tons of $$$$ for some toy. There is just more important things to spend my $$ on. I would like to see what they come up with though.

250Renvy
07-18-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't know, it's hard to know for sure, but it seems like there are so many still unsold and so many used ones out there that unless they keep changing something bigger and better every year, might as well dry up the market for 5-6 years and make money selling parts. Then, when the economy comes back and people have exhausted the parts supply, come out with something new. Sell a ton and then go away for a while.

trx416m
07-20-2011, 06:18 AM
I was told by the head mechanic at my local dealership that depending on how the 2012 trx450's (restamped 09's) sell they may be releasing an updated trx450r as a late release. With efi and other small updates. This is only what I have heard and is depending on how the market is I beleive. Regardless it is still cool that there is a possibility. But take this with a grain of salt.

89rebel
07-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Never rode a Honda 450r but heard some nice things about them. Its obvious it will be efi but if it came with reverse I would be buying one on the spot. Im a trail rider and I think most of us are so reverse would be a great feature. If honda wants to sell the rest of the leftovers before the new release than we will be waiting for a long time. I found an '07 se with holeshot xcr's, nerfs and a exaust for $3200 and cleaner than 3@#$. No way would i buy a leftover for anywhere close than that. The longer honda waits then comes the chance for potential buyers to look elsewhere and Im gettin to that point. At least sell a few so we know what they have and they will in turn know if it will be a hit. Personally ill have to pay cash for whatever I buy and right now i have nothing and if I buy something in the meantime Ill have to wait awhile even after they come out. I was thinking maybe honda should just part out the leftovers.

fomospede
07-20-2011, 02:06 PM
i bought a 08 from my dealer 2 months ago for 3450 out the door
but now honda pulled there honda bucks and they wont move any more
seen a clean 06 go for 2850
they r cheap to buy
how many could be left?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

kt23
07-20-2011, 02:31 PM
i think i will stick with the current 450R. I have 2. one is a full tilt mx quad and the other is a XC quad that was rough, very rough, pounded in the dirt rough. I bought it to part out and junk waiting on a new EFI 450r quad. Now i think i am just going to redo the XC quad and keep it. For 5K i will have a top of the line quad - one that is easy to get parts for and cheap to maintain. I have a 09 CRF450 and let me tell you - the EFI is great. BUT for the difference in cash, i will just stick with the current 450r design.

89rebel
07-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by fomospede
i bought a 08 from my dealer 2 months ago for 3450 out the door
but now honda pulled there honda bucks and they wont move any more
seen a clean 06 go for 2850
they r cheap to buy
how many could be left?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????? best price in my neck of the woods was $4k + taxes and fee's. i thought that was cheap

fomospede
07-20-2011, 03:01 PM
i live on a border to the state i bought it from
so taxes were not part of the sale
there r alot of good mahines out there that people buy and then ridem and get scared! for cheap

Grant Casey
07-20-2011, 05:14 PM
not imprressed by honda, i love my 450er alot. but they should of at least made over the 450er but owell hopfully next year

hondarider421
07-25-2011, 01:12 PM
i agree with bergstorm its not that honda is repeating nething if u recall ltr havent had a new bike since like 09 because noone was buying them at the time and race parts are better left to aftermarket companies and let us have the bikes cheaper but if u recall alot of ur carberatoed bikes werent sold last yr because they are redoing most of them and werent selling many because of the 420at now look at all ur race bikes they are amlost all efi thats gonna be the next big step for honda but the down fall will be for personal builders who cant computer tune i personally would love efi but i wont give up my suspension for a lil more response idc how a bike looks cause ima change it when i get home anyway same thing with the stock shocks and arms its the same on the yfz450r alot of track riders i ride with instantly revalved and did work to them its just a riders way of haveing there race bike

DnB_racing
07-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by hondarider421
i agree with bergstorm its not that honda is repeating nething if u recall ltr havent had a new bike since like 09 because noone was buying them at the time and race parts are better left to aftermarket companies and let us have the bikes cheaper but if u recall alot of ur carberatoed bikes werent sold last yr because they are redoing most of them and werent selling many because of the 420at now look at all ur race bikes they are amlost all efi thats gonna be the next big step for honda but the down fall will be for personal builders who cant computer tune i personally would love efi but i wont give up my suspension for a lil more response idc how a bike looks cause ima change it when i get home anyway same thing with the stock shocks and arms its the same on the yfz450r alot of track riders i ride with instantly revalved and did work to them its just a riders way of haveing there race bike Hondarider421, I dont mean to be insulting, but you might be pregnant!
you haven't had a period in almost three months:D

hondarider421
07-25-2011, 05:40 PM
lol that was good but who is worried about grammer i dropped outta school cause **** took to much time just like periods specially when my old lady has one lol but agin that was good

flyboy1294
08-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by hondarider421
i agree with bergstorm its not that honda is repeating nething if u recall ltr havent had a new bike since like 09 because noone was buying them at the time and race parts are better left to aftermarket companies and let us have the bikes cheaper but if u recall alot of ur carberatoed bikes werent sold last yr because they are redoing most of them and werent selling many because of the 420at now look at all ur race bikes they are amlost all efi thats gonna be the next big step for honda but the down fall will be for personal builders who cant computer tune i personally would love efi but i wont give up my suspension for a lil more response idc how a bike looks cause ima change it when i get home anyway same thing with the stock shocks and arms its the same on the yfz450r alot of track riders i ride with instantly revalved and did work to them its just a riders way of haveing there race bike

The LTR was discontinued because it failed to meet emissions, or so I thought? :confused:

quad2xtreme
08-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
The LTR was discontinued because it failed to meet emissions, or so I thought? :confused:

Not 100% sure it failed emissions as it was too easy to modify it to fail emissions. In fact, salespeople encouraged most buyers to get that $35 part that changed the mapping, etc.

tt racer
08-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Like ive said for years shame on honda all the atvs they sell as a whole and cant put the r&d in an updated 450r! I tell ya go buy a yamaha and show them the consumer wants an updated product. they will listen or sell leftovers for 3 more years!!!!!:)

dxcody
08-06-2011, 08:15 PM
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! why do people say honda is falling behind???? I really do not understand.

National MX PRO ATV
Josh upperman
travis moore
joe byrd
joel hetrick
adam clark
harold goodman
Greg gee
derek swartfager
nick denoble
aaron meyer
marc winchesster
jonathan john
alex trompen
casey martin
ronnie higgerson

15 of 20 racers ride honda.. YOU CANNOT FIX WHAT ISNT BROKEN!
SAY WHAT YOU WANT BUT THE FACTS ARE HERE. HONDA IS THE #1 QUAD OUT RIGHT NOW.

GNCC XC1 Pro ATV
Donald Ockerman
brian wolfe
Jorrod Mcclure
craig bowman

4 OF 14 RIDERS IN GNCC XC1 PRO RIDE HONDA.
You talk about how reliable the 450R is then you diss it because it doesnt change. and get EFI and this and that. It wouldnt be near as reliable if they did all these things to it.
Honda is sooo simple, easy to work on and a 5* quad.
FAR FROM FALLING BEHIND, YA THINK??

motofreak2772
08-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! why do people say honda is falling behind???? I really do not understand.

National MX PRO ATV
Josh upperman
travis moore
joe byrd
joel hetrick
adam clark
harold goodman
Greg gee
derek swartfager
nick denoble
aaron meyer
marc winchesster
jonathan john
alex trompen
casey martin
ronnie higgerson

15 of 20 racers ride honda.. YOU CANNOT FIX WHAT ISNT BROKEN!
SAY WHAT YOU WANT BUT THE FACTS ARE HERE. HONDA IS THE #1 QUAD OUT RIGHT NOW.

GNCC XC1 Pro ATV
Donald Ockerman
brian wolfe
Jorrod Mcclure
craig bowman

4 OF 14 RIDERS IN GNCC XC1 PRO RIDE HONDA.
You talk about how reliable the 450R is then you diss it because it doesnt change. and get EFI and this and that. It wouldnt be near as reliable if they did all these things to it.
Honda is sooo simple, easy to work on and a 5* quad.
FAR FROM FALLING BEHIND, YA THINK??
There's always room for improvement.
If any of the brands cared about ATV motocross racing they would have a whole team of engineers studying and designing the perfect race quad like they do for the dirt bikes. BUT they don't.

dxcody
08-07-2011, 02:15 AM
They know we are just goin to replace the stuff with aftermarket stuff so why would they spend big money getting deals on stuff to put on thier factory rides when they know they will see it on ebay for dirt cheap.

Dont get me wrong i get what your saying but you have to look at it as if you were making quads.

hondarider421
08-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Yea true i mean i did build a custom 450r

HondaPohl
08-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Well what is the argument. That honda doesnt make a race ready quad? Or that they dont change anything? From a marketing stand point, selling the same ****, the consumer will get bored and move to a different product. But look at the Banshee. 87-06 in this country. Its still being made in other countries. They didnt change ****. I think the average rider or cosumer doesnt really care what changes. They will buy it when they can afford it. Plus it would cost HOnda or other companies millions to retool and redesign every year or two or whatever. I Think most of you guys are so diehard honda that your bored with the 450 and want something new! I would love to see a new Honda aswell! LIke it was said before, nothing new from Honda. Same old.

coryatver
08-07-2011, 10:31 AM
And a lot of those pros that are not on a honda is becuase they are getting paid by another manufacture. Don't forget extreme dirt track 450r dominates. Still the best platform for a race quad you can get.

HondaPohl
08-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
And a lot of those pros that are not on a honda is becuase they are getting paid by another manufacture. Don't forget extreme dirt track 450r dominates. Still the best platform for a race quad you can get.

Exactly! Its a great platform. Look at a stock mustang or camaro. On the street and the average consumer they are great! Get them on a track they suck compared to lets say Pro street car. Face it. ATV racing is a niche market. The average joe doesnt want a race ready quad. Well he might but he aint gonna want to pay for it.

motofreak2772
08-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
They know we are just goin to replace the stuff with aftermarket stuff so why would they spend big money getting deals on stuff to put on thier factory rides when they know they will see it on ebay for dirt cheap.

Dont get me wrong i get what your saying but you have to look at it as if you were making quads.
Yeah, I agree. But what I wish they would do is create the best racing platform. So like you said, since we replace pretty much everything all they would have to do is design a new frame and engine. If they did some research and created a frame with geometry fit for the track and strong enough for the track (like a walsh or laeger aftermarket frame), then they would truly have the best race machine.
Basically I just want them to make what is already available "production" so that we can use it at the races.

tt racer
08-10-2011, 01:02 AM
I think all the 450s are good but all you guys sticking up for hondas think the dirtbike crowd would be cool with basically the same dirtbike since 2004!!!! Dont kid yourself its just insulting to the atv world! Honda sells 3 to 1 atv sales to bikes so keep ridin that 04 trx and ill buy from a manufacturer that actually cares for our sport!:devil:

dxcody
08-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by tt racer
I think all the 450s are good but all you guys sticking up for hondas think the dirtbike crowd would be cool with basically the same dirtbike since 2004!!!! Dont kid yourself its just insulting to the atv world! Honda sells 3 to 1 atv sales to bikes so keep ridin that 04 trx and ill buy from a manufacturer that actually cares for our sport!:devil:

At least they sponsor and support dirtbike riders.
Thy still have honda's in the mains at supercross.

dxcody
08-10-2011, 03:50 AM
Lets face it, if it wasnt for the lawsuits and legal B.S.
the 250r would probably still be made, and it would more than likely be about the same as it was in 87.

At least guys who ride honda are honest. If they blow thier motors in a race, they will tell you in an interview,

"hey ya i got out there and blew my motor right off the bat."

Say john Natalie blows his motor.
He isnt going to say "oh yea i blew my ds 450 motor out there.."
Like they said above, they are getting paid to make the ds450, LTR450, YFZ450 look good, when from what i heard, the DS 450's are (good ) but they still have alot of issues with thier motors.

I have heard of guys having their DS lock up out of nowhere with like 50 hrs of ride time on them.

Thats one thing you can count on any honda, is if you ride it and take half way decent care of it, it will run good forever.

That doesnt apply nessisarily to racing because racing any quad is super duper hard on them.

I guess its just because im a 100% honda fan, but if i was gonna buy a brand new quad today, it would be a 2012 450r.

If they are good enough for pros, they are good enough for me.

ThePhantomRider
10-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Sigh...still waiting for the economy to rebound so that Honda can finally release the new TRX450r-efi

Till then, ya get what ya get and ya don't throw a fit.

It sucks because the new bike is awesome...by the time it's released they will have had to upgrade it further...

TPR

Extremerider
10-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
Sigh...still waiting for the economy to rebound so that Honda can finally release the new TRX450r-efi

Till then, ya get what ya get and ya don't throw a fit.

It sucks because the new bike is awesome...by the time it's released they will have had to upgrade it further...

TPR
Gonna have to agree with Phantom Rider on this one. I work in a parts department for a Honda powerhouse in central PA, and things are extremely slow. Even other dealerships in our area who carry other brands are facing the same problem. Hence the reason why Yamaha brought back the old YFZ. I will admit though, if Honda was smart they'd blow the old 450s out for COST, so they could hurry up and release the EFI model.

Ruf Racing
10-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Extremerider
Gonna have to agree with Phantom Rider on this one. I work in a parts department for a Honda powerhouse in central PA, and things are extremely slow. if Honda was smart they'd blow the old 450s out for COST,

^^ Agreed ^^