PDA

View Full Version : brake cable routing

88250RGuy
07-14-2011, 06:52 PM
hey guys almost got my r together. Baught it dissasembled, how does the brake cable route? I have a 1988 so it has the different style lines to the calipers. But its the metal lines that go from the master cylender to the caliper lines. Hope I am making sense and I dont want to break that line! Thanks Im 16, I have some other questions but wont bother posting if nobody wants to answer. So thanks guys!

stever250r
07-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Are you talking about the rear Parking Brake Cable, or are you talking about the Aluminum Front Brake Line from the Master Cylinder to the Rubber Caliper Lines?...

I think you are talking about the Aluminum Front Line from the Master Cylinder... If so.. that Line is pre bent to the correct routing... It clamps at the Steering Stem mount and then at a few places on the frame that are drilled and tapped before it mounts at the 3 way splitter..

I dont know how else to explain that..... If you set it up against the frame it should be pretty clear... If not... I know there is a link somewhere that I have seen where you can download the Honda Service Manual.... I would suggest that you do that anyhow... It will help you a great deal....

88250RGuy
07-14-2011, 07:13 PM
yes the aluminum one thanks
edit: turns out im pretty stupid! :eek2:

89trx250r
07-14-2011, 07:30 PM
nah i dont think anyone with a question and the will to learn about something is stupid keep rebuilding and keep asking questions otherwise how else will you know...Itll all be worth it when you pull that kicker out and she comes alive

stever250r
07-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
nah i dont think anyone with a question and the will to learn about something is stupid keep rebuilding and keep asking questions otherwise how else will you know...Itll all be worth it when you pull that kicker out and she comes alive

X2... I agree... Keep asking... Its how we all learn....No one here will beat you up for asking questions... If that were true, I would be a walking hematoma.....:D

88250RGuy
07-14-2011, 08:29 PM
well I my dad told me to never buy this atv but I have to proove him wrong. I cant seem to get the pistons out on the calipers. I tried the compressed air trick in the service manual. No luck. I have 2 cork like things in one caliper the other has none. I heard you can mount yfz450 calipers on and they bolt right up, but this is a honda. I want to keep it all honda lol.

DoonRider
07-14-2011, 09:56 PM
That stuck piston in the calipers is a battle. I wonder how the professional mechanics do it. I had one free piston and one that was stuck so I put my caliper in the freezer for a day. The stuck one moved a little and then the free one got jacked crooked in the sleeve, so I just bought "a ready to go" one off ebay and that one also had a stuck piston. I bolted it on and said to hell with it.

I'm twice your age and ask a lot of dumb questions, its hard to get familar with a 25 year old machine. I bought a shop manual and save pictures off the internet (especially close-ups), but yet it is hard to determine what is correct.

Meat
07-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by 88250RGuy
yes the aluminum one thanks
edit: turns out im pretty stupid! :eek2:

"how does the brake cable route? I dont want to break that line!"

Not a stupid kid at all. I'm impressed by any 16 yr old who knows the difference between "brake" and "break". :)

brokenmike
07-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Find or make a grease zero (grease nipple that you put the end of your grease gun onto) that has the same metric threads as your caliper banjo bolt. Then use a grease gun to pump the caliper full of grease. The pressure of the grease will push the pistons out. If one piston moves and the other dosent, put the clamp the one that moves in a vice or use a c-clamp

danhung11
07-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Another way to get the pistons is out is with compressed air, just take the banjo bolts and pads out and use air to force them out. You have to work them out simultaneously to keep the internal pressure from escaping. Make sense?

88250RGuy
07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by danhung11
Another way to get the pistons is out is with compressed air, just take the banjo bolts and pads out and use air to force them out. You have to work them out simultaneously to keep the internal pressure from escaping. Make sense?

tried unless im putting it in the wrong hole but the one where you bolt the hose onto correct? And wont putting grease into the caliper wreck it? What if the grease eventuall gets on the pads? Sorry im just skeptical lol. i baught 2 caliper rebuild kits and want to install them! Thanks for any help. My quad is on youtube, type in yamaharules163 its under my latest videos if you wanna have a look

danhung11
07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
It has to be an air tight seal (or close to it), build high pressure in the tank before trying to do so. Were they stuck before you let the pressure out with the brake fluid? Sometimes, by removing the pads - the calipers will come out somewhat when applying the brake lever.

wilkin250r
07-15-2011, 01:57 PM
And wont putting grease into the caliper wreck it? What if the grease eventuall gets on the pads?

Grease won't wreck the caliper. Brake calipers are pretty simple, they're basically just the piston, some seals, and a big hole with a direct passage to the brake line. Once you get the caliper out, you just need to wipe as much grease out as possible, then clean it with a good degreaser.

I've used all manner of methods to get frozen pistons out of calipers. Usually what I end up doing, if I have all the components, is just hook up the break lines without any pads in place, bleed the lines, and then squeeze the lever or pedal. I've never had that method fail me.

brokenmike
07-16-2011, 06:38 AM
^^^^ just what Wilkin said. You just have to clean the grease out of the caliper. You take the brake pads out before you put grease in it. Oh yea and DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS ANYWHERE NEAR THE PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know when using air the pistons can pop out of there bores with alot of force and speed

88250RGuy
07-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Grease won't wreck the caliper. Brake calipers are pretty simple, they're basically just the piston, some seals, and a big hole with a direct passage to the brake line. Once you get the caliper out, you just need to wipe as much grease out as possible, then clean it with a good degreaser.

I've used all manner of methods to get frozen pistons out of calipers. Usually what I end up doing, if I have all the components, is just hook up the break lines without any pads in place, bleed the lines, and then squeeze the lever or pedal. I've never had that method fail me.
i think I will try your method with just pressing the leaver. Im thinking the grease method will only work with a air compresser sytle grease gun? Think I will be able to squeeze a hand gun or will the pressure be too great?

88250RGuy
07-16-2011, 03:01 PM
ok well i was really dumb just now. in the process of removing my swingarm, there was alot of stress on the gas line for the ressy. I thought i could just unbolt it and take it out...well unfortinetly that didnt work...Learn from mistakes I guess. Lost some fluid, does the shock need a rebuild now? Thanks guys stupid me....cant belive how dumb I am

wilkin250r
07-16-2011, 05:35 PM
i think I will try your method with just pressing the leaver. Im thinking the grease method will only work with a air compresser sytle grease gun? Think I will be able to squeeze a hand gun or will the pressure be too great?

You'll get a lot more pressure out of the existing brake equipment then you will from a grease gun. Think about it, the brakes are MADE to exert pressure.

And yes, you will need to have your rear shock rebuilt.

88250RGuy
07-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You'll get a lot more pressure out of the existing brake equipment then you will from a grease gun. Think about it, the brakes are MADE to exert pressure.

And yes, you will need to have your rear shock rebuilt.
damn the news I DID NOT want to hear :( Can I get it recharged or fully rebuilt?