PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Clearcoat on QUADS!!! you will be amazed...pictures

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Hey guys we came up with a little idea...this plastic is a year and a half old.......what do you think?

QuadJunkies
02-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Sparky416ex
Hey guys we came up with a little idea...this plastic is a year and a half old.......what do you think? wow!! looks real good!!!:D

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 10:40 AM
its supposed to last too....its actually made for plastic...we have six coats on the 416...ill p[ost pics of the orange 300 later...its being rebuilt right now...we have done 9 bikes so far....ill post pics of a banshee soon also

Ralph
02-22-2003, 10:43 AM
what did u use? did it restore em or did u do that the ifrst time u got em and it just satyed nice????????

Sparks425Ex
02-22-2003, 10:44 AM
What Do I think: I think ya don;t ride it......:D

Just kidding. That looks great man. I might have to pick me up some of that stuff.....

It seems to be working great....

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 10:51 AM
well its not as simple as it looks...you have to spray it on...we didnt do that when it was new...we redid the whole thing...you sand your bike (basic prep) then of course you gotta find a sprayer...but before you spray put bulldogg on it...itll make the stuff stick better...then give it 3 or 4 coats let dry 30 minutes between coats....i can even wax my quad now....its the exact same stuff that on your truck or car

we knew people would say we are rookies...i cant wait to act like we suck then take off and show em how we really ride

Foxrage
02-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Get some close up pics it looks sweet.

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Foxrage
Get some close up pics it looks sweet.

ill have a huge # of pics for you guys later...im in a camera crisis right now....ill post some later

02-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Holy shoot, where do you get it, how much? I want to get some for my rear 250r fender.. Man that looks great. let me know, if you you can get soem and I buy it off of you. Thanks, daylen

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 11:54 AM
a lot of hardware stores carry it...just ask them...but if your only gonna do one fender...your bike wont looks right...seriously this stuff makes it look better than it was new....its shinier than new plastic by far

02-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Alright I would do it to both then. What is the exact name of it? It don't crinle up or nothing? Man I really need some of that stuff. How much is it?

honda400exrider
02-22-2003, 12:04 PM
WOWWW!!!!!! I REALLY NEED TO GET MY DIRTY LITTLE HANDS ON THAT STUFF!!!!!:eek2: :eek2:

quadridermx
02-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Umm... I posted this idea quite a while ago... but back then everyone kinda shunned the idea of putting automotive clear coat on a quad.

I have done it to every machine i've owned... it works great! Just make sure to clean the plastics real good, and sand them down with real fine wet sandpaper. Then clean again and apply the clear coat. A regular spray can of automotive clear coat looks great also in case you dont have a paint sprayer. Here's a pic of my banshee I did just before I sold it...

CHAUNCY
02-22-2003, 12:11 PM
WOW it looks like it really works.

quadridermx
02-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Yz426... I just used a can of clear spray paint on this one before I sold it.

quadridermx
02-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Last one... I promise....

This is a Lt250 I rebuilt. The plastics looked absolutely horrible. They were a disgrace to the quad community. But, I sanded them down, cleaned em real good, and clear coated them. Turned out pretty good. The pictures dont show all the shinyness, but you get the idea.

After you wet sand the plastics and clean them off, just make sure they dry REALLY good before you put the clear coat on. If they dont, then the clear coat flows over the water, the water evaporates, and you're left with a clear bubble in your plastic.

Best thing... if the clear coat rubs off (it will eventually), just lightly sand it down, and throw another coat on. The whole process takes about 15 minutes.

The clear coat also covers all the little pores in the plastic, and makes getting dirt off a lot easier when you wash your quad/bike.

powerslider
02-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Did you spray over the decals? That looks great, I may try that on some 88R plastic. How well does it cover plastic scratches or do you have to sand every imperfection out first? Does it flex with the plastic or will it crack easy?

honda400exrider
02-22-2003, 01:22 PM
yeah what powerslider said, and how much is it also?

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 02:05 PM
it was 32$ a quart...if you want it to stick even better put bulldog adhesion promotor on it to make it stick...the only thing you need to sand off of your pplastic is the gloss...we put 6 coats on the 416 and buffed it....its critical that you sand off the gloss and all dirt form your plastic...no it doesnt crack when bent...we roughed the stickers with fine steel wool and sprayed over them...my uncle put a whole decal kit on his warrior...the stickers look great

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 02:13 PM
what its like riding a 416

derekhonda
02-22-2003, 02:29 PM
you can still powerwash it correct?

So let me make sure i got the steps right

Wet sand your plactic
let it dry
make sure all the gloss is off the plastic
put some bulldog stuff on it to make it stick better
then a couple coats of clearcoat and your done

right?

250x#93
02-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Looks great, a couple of my friends at school did that and they said it worked great, just need to do mine now!!:D

tants
02-22-2003, 03:48 PM
that looks great!

cheetah
02-22-2003, 05:24 PM
So you can wash it and it will go back to that shine? Oh and did you say that you had to take the decals off and put new ones on or did you spray over them?

luvmyex
02-22-2003, 05:44 PM
It looks great.I just wonder how it looks after 4-5 rides in the woods?Seems like it would scratch up pretty easy.

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by luvmyex
It looks great.I just wonder how it looks after 4-5 rides in the woods?Seems like it would scratch up pretty easy.

yeah...it will scratch...but you can buff it out in less than 2 minutes...thats the beauty of it!

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
you can still powerwash it correct?

So let me make sure i got the steps right

Wet sand your plactic
let it dry
make sure all the gloss is off the plastic
put some bulldog stuff on it to make it stick better
then a couple coats of clearcoat and your done

right?

yep thats exactly right....just make sure you use 400-600 grit sand paper to sand your plastic:D ...and make sure you let the coats dry for atleast 30 minutes before adding another....and...make sure your doing this in a safe environment...dont burn any fires or let the fumes get to heavy...i prefer a painters mask...if you want it to look really good hang up some sheets or something and make a little painter booth in the garage...crack the door open and you should be fine...good luck all

POWERWASH AWAY

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
So you can wash it and it will go back to that shine? Oh and did you say that you had to take the decals off and put new ones on or did you spray over them?

yes it will go back to the same shine...a powerwasher wont hurt a thing....sticker dont matter

PS it will wash easier:)

300exQuadracer
02-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by quadridermx
Yz426... I just used a can of clear spray paint on this one before I sold it.

haha i did the same thing with my rm before i sold it i washed it then clear coated the fenders, shocks, tires and rims and the thing looked cleaner than when i bought it

Ryan
02-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Your 400ex fenders look brand spankin new :eek2: .

Thanks for the tips.... I'll be sure to pick up this stuff before I sell my quad :) !

02-22-2003, 07:18 PM
awhile back i said to do that but i take it back now, after awhile the stuff starts to seperate from the plastic in parts and discolors yellow and chips off , looks good for awhile, depends were u ride too

toby400ex
02-22-2003, 07:56 PM
i was thinkin that it might eventually start to peel off:rolleyes:

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
awhile back i said to do that but i take it back now, after awhile the stuff starts to seperate from the plastic in parts and discolors yellow and chips off , looks good for awhile, depends were u ride too

not if you do it right:)

02-22-2003, 08:36 PM
ive still seen it do that on trucks and stuff i dunno, i myself wouldnt do it but it made your quad look awesome

400EXrider#91
02-22-2003, 08:40 PM
looks nice i might have to give that a try

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 09:32 PM
if you spray it on without sanding all the gloss off...and you dont put bulldog on it wont work as well...it will eventually wear off in a year...from buffing....but its NOT the kind of material to "peel" off...trust me

its automotive finish...just make sure you get the kind made for plastics...not metals

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by quadridermx
Umm... I posted this idea quite a while ago... but back then everyone kinda shunned the idea of putting automotive clear coat on a quad.

I have done it to every machine i've owned... it works great! Just make sure to clean the plastics real good, and sand them down with real fine wet sandpaper. Then clean again and apply the clear coat. A regular spray can of automotive clear coat looks great also in case you dont have a paint sprayer. Here's a pic of my banshee I did just before I sold it...

your banshee looked great...theres no telling what it looks like before it was sprayed

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 09:42 PM
you cant really see the shine in this pic very well but it looked awesome

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 09:46 PM
little better

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 09:54 PM
elkas

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 09:58 PM
300ex

ridered03
02-22-2003, 10:19 PM
would that stuff be able to make the old dull maier plastic shiny????

Sparky416ex
02-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ridered03
would that stuff be able to make the old dull maier plastic shiny????

that stuff could make your but shiny....you could sray it on anything...so yes ...it would make maier look good

Stevie-D
02-23-2003, 09:27 AM
your right...you could shine up your crack with Clearcoat...i polished my shifter and brake pedal...and they started to rust realy bad..so i got a $2 can of clearcoat(high gloss) and sprayed them down...they shine really good..and no more rust!

luvmyex
02-23-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Sparky416ex
if you spray it on without sanding all the gloss off...and you dont put bulldog on it wont work as well...it will eventually wear off in a year...from buffing....but its NOT the kind of material to "peel" off...trust me

its automotive finish...just make sure you get the kind made for plastics...not metals
How old is the first one you did?Or how long has it been i should say.I just want to know how this is going to hold up to the abuse i put my quad tru.I ride woods and not always on the trail.I think its a 4x4 sometimes:rolleyes:

Sparky416ex
02-23-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by luvmyex
How old is the first one you did?Or how long has it been i should say.I just want to know how this is going to hold up to the abuse i put my quad tru.I ride woods and not always on the trail.I think its a 4x4 sometimes:rolleyes:

It will scratch and come off over time...but all you have to do is buff it out...and when it all comes off spray it again...no big deal.

your quad would have washed up twice as easy as it did when you had it that muddy

02-23-2003, 10:29 AM
To get the clear coat to hold up and adhear properly to plastic that is going to flex as much as these do is going to be both very expensive and time consumeing and even more so if you dont have the experience and proper tools for the job.

I had posted a very detailed and long post last night but seems it is lost but basicaly what I had said is that I have some experience with auto paints and even currently sell over 7 different urethane clears and all of them wouldnt work right without some additives for flexing and adheasion.

If you have the proper sanding and spraying equipment it is possible to get a good job at a "reasonable" price but if you were to go out and purchase everything needed it would be getting expensive even if you were to go with less expensive materials (you can get gallons of clear under $80.00 with activator, and spray guns under100.00) and the new plastics for the 400ex end up being a bargain.

Another prob is that you will need to find this stuff at your local supplier (and they will most likely try to sell you more expensive products that wont even work better for this application) as its not cost effective to ship this stuff with a min of 15.00 per gallon flamable surcharge plus std freight charges.

So most of you will be left with spray can stuff and that can work if you get the right ones (look for names like SEM and Transstar etc) which are made for professional use. You can expect to pay around $8-20 per can depending on how bad they try to "get ya" on price.

If you guys have any questions directly related to type or brand of product on the clears and adheasion promotors and even flex additives etc I will try to answer them for you.

Sparky416ex
02-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
To get the clear coat to hold up and adhear properly to plastic that is going to flex as much as these do is going to be both very expensive and time consumeing and even more so if you dont have the experience and proper tools for the job.

I had posted a very detailed and long post last night but seems it is lost but basicaly what I had said is that I have some experience with auto paints and even currently sell over 7 different urethane clears and all of them wouldnt work right without some additives for flexing and adheasion.

If you have the proper sanding and spraying equipment it is possible to get a good job at a "reasonable" price but if you were to go out and purchase everything needed it would be getting expensive even if you were to go with less expensive materials (you can get gallons of clear under $80.00 with activator, and spray guns under100.00) and the new plastics for the 400ex end up being a bargain.

Another prob is that you will need to find this stuff at your local supplier (and they will most likely try to sell you more expensive products that wont even work better for this application) as its not cost effective to ship this stuff with a min of 15.00 per gallon flamable surcharge plus std freight charges.

So most of you will be left with spray can stuff and that can work if you get the right ones (look for names like SEM and Transstar etc) which are made for professional use. You can expect to pay around $8-20 per can depending on how bad they try to "get ya" on price.

If you guys have any questions directly related to type or brand of product on the clears and adheasion promotors and even flex additives etc I will try to answer them for you.

the kind we got said it was for plastics...and obviously plastics bend...so would that be ok?

Sparky416ex
02-23-2003, 11:12 AM
banshee

Sparky416ex
02-23-2003, 11:17 AM
1999 grizzley:o :rolleyes: :grr :huh

(i hate that thing)

Sparky416ex
02-23-2003, 11:21 AM

Sparky416ex
02-23-2003, 11:24 AM
300 again

toby400ex
02-23-2003, 01:34 PM
ok, so how many quads does your house have right now:eek2:

Sparky416ex
02-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
ok, so how many quads does your house have right now:eek2:

lol...there not all mine...my cousin has 2 banshees a 300...my uncles have 4 kodiaks, 2 grizzleys, 1 Z400, 2 warriors, 1 beartracker, we have a kodiak a 300ex (the orange one) and a 416, friends have 2 250r's foreman 450 yzf 250, 2 yz 125's, 2 wolervines, 1 300X, recon, kaw. 125, and another 400ex....so how many bikes is that......28 bikes... i and cant wait till we all go out together on a big ride

i need to get a pic of them all lined up

CowsBitePeople
02-23-2003, 06:31 PM
I did that on my quad a while ago it works great!!

MaTT....

02-23-2003, 06:35 PM
is thee anything i can put on my frame after i paint it to make it shine like that

Stevie-D
02-23-2003, 06:41 PM
is thee anything i can put on my frame after i paint it to make it shine like that
go to your local hardware store and buy a can of aerosol high gloss clearcoat...it is basically clear spraypaint, and seems to hold up pretty good

02-23-2003, 06:46 PM
it wont discolor or chip off easy will it? that would be nice if i could get my frame to look glossy

02-23-2003, 08:25 PM
the kind we got said it was for plastics...and obviously plastics bend...so would that be ok?

It depends on what you actually have. There are so many diff ones and I dont know every single clear made but I do know many of the auto clears and some of the more industrial ones also.

What was the name of that one you used?

I have seen some products that claim they are flexible but that doesnt mean that they will allways flex any more than the std reg everyday product. They can do that because the product will flex a certain amount anyway but some I have been told do have more flex to them.

Think about this for a moment. We want the paints or clears to be very hard so they dont scratch easy and protect whats beneath them and hold their gloss and last a long time etc but now were asking that it also be very flexible so it will not crack and peel off of the plastics. It is asking a lot but you can get better results with diff products and even flex additives etc.

go to your local hardware store and buy a can of aerosol high gloss clearcoat...it is basically clear spraypaint, and seems to hold up pretty good

You can clear your frame (painted or pc) and if done correctly it will add the gloss of the clear BUT most spray cans are tough to get the product to come out even and lay down correctly. What happens is that you need to "build up" the layers of clear and when using a spry can you will find that it doesnt shine verywell when applied that way and looks flat. Its mostly due to the actual prod in the can and you can sometimes trick it into working better by using heavier coats but then you risk runs and cracking from the thicker coats etc.

Sparky416ex
02-24-2003, 10:10 AM
wow, after 54 post its moved:)

Live2Ride300
02-24-2003, 12:52 PM
Sparky hows it holding up? Have you ridden any of ur bikes with it? or just bent the plastic a lil to see if it would crack? Thanx

Sparky416ex
02-26-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
Sparky hows it holding up? Have you ridden any of ur bikes with it? or just bent the plastic a lil to see if it would crack? Thanx

we rode a kodiac for awhile...it hold up good....once again..its automotive finish...you spray it on your car and it will hold up...these winter salty days are hard on it too....

breadman400ex
02-26-2003, 04:18 PM
man... that looks good... but I have a question. Where can you get that bulldog stuff? is it in a spray can or can you get it in a spray can and then use a good spray can clear coat and get the same results?

Live2Ride300
02-26-2003, 04:52 PM
Does the stuff crack or nething?

Sparky416ex
02-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by breadman400ex
man... that looks good... but I have a question. Where can you get that bulldog stuff? is it in a spray can or can you get it in a spray can and then use a good spray can clear coat and get the same results?

uhh walmart meijer almost any hardware store..its in a can...you just rub it on with a rag after sanding

Split1422
02-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Plan on doing this with my raptor. Ok what is the clear coat stuff called? And what do I all need to do this project? An how much will it cost all together? And will it hold up in woods riding? And can you give me a step by step job of doing this?

QuadTrix6
02-27-2003, 09:12 PM
impressive :)

Sparky416ex
02-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Split1422
Plan on doing this with my raptor. Ok what is the clear coat stuff called? And what do I all need to do this project? An how much will it cost all together? And will it hold up in woods riding? And can you give me a step by step job of doing this?

read the thread before posting...PLEASE:o

Zingnut
02-28-2003, 07:27 PM
Just something that I experienced is that when spraying clear coats you must spray them in a clean, and humidity free area or pick warm days with very low humidity and low air movement. I have found that when you spray clear coats on humid days they have a tendency to get hazy and the air flow will carry dust and particles that will adhere to the clear coat. You can buff the dust out but its a pain unless you have a good buffer.

Just an experience I had.

breadman400ex
03-01-2003, 12:00 AM
You keep saying to be sure to get the kind made for plastics... are you talking about the clearcoat made for plastics or the bulldog made for plastics??? and I checked my local super wal mart and they have never heard of bulldog. Can you get it at a paint store like sherwin williams or do you get it at a hardware store or what?

250x
03-01-2003, 01:45 AM
im a auto pro painter and do this all the time but it has to be done right with the right stuff in the right place or it will peel & crack. the material is not cheap and you need to spray it in a booth for a true dust free non orange peel shine. pay for shipping both ways to me in indiana and ill spray all your plastic for $175

03-01-2003, 03:25 AM
Let me start off by saying looks F*cking ausome!

Let me finish with, I would never do it only reason being, I would F*ck it up so bad, I would have to order New Plastic!:(

Sparky416ex
03-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Zingnut
Just something that I experienced is that when spraying clear coats you must spray them in a clean, and humidity free area or pick warm days with very low humidity and low air movement. I have found that when you spray clear coats on humid days they have a tendency to get hazy and the air flow will carry dust and particles that will adhere to the clear coat. You can buff the dust out but its a pain unless you have a good buffer.

Just an experience I had.

your right be carefull...dont do it in your driveway LOL

Sparky416ex
03-01-2003, 02:24 PM
You keep saying to be sure to get the kind made for plastics... are you talking about the clearcoat made for plastics or the bulldog made for plastics??? and I checked my local super wal mart and they have never heard of bulldog. Can you get it at a paint store like sherwin williams or do you get it at a hardware store or what?

wow thats really strange....cuz thats where i got mine:huh

ill look for a website or somethin for you guys later...i think any adheasive would work....and you get the cearcoat made for plastics

Sparky416ex
03-01-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by EX_Rider2003
Let me start off by saying looks F*cking ausome!

Let me finish with, I would never do it only reason being, I would F*ck it up so bad, I would have to order New Plastic!:(

not if you have 250X do it "clear coat plastic
im a auto pro painter and do this all the time but it has to be done right with the right stuff in the right place or it will peel & crack. the material is not cheap and you need to spray it in a booth for a true dust free non orange peel shine. pay for shipping both ways to me in indiana and ill spray all your plastic for $175"

send it to 250x he knows what hes doin

ps my dad wanted me to do what you are doin 250 its a good idea...you could buy plastic for 250r's 400's most popular bikes spray em and sell em for more money

250x
03-01-2003, 03:24 PM
thanks sparky, not sure if you seen my plastis but they last. it just like the hard finish on your vehicle.

breadman400ex
03-01-2003, 06:06 PM
well... I got all the stuff to do mine so I am going to give it a shot... oh and by the way I found bulldog at NAPA 9.99 for a pint. I am going to take some before, during and after pics.. I will have them posted wish me luck... lol

Sparky416ex
03-02-2003, 03:00 AM
well... I got all the stuff to do mine so I am going to give it a shot... oh and by the way I found bulldog at NAPA 9.99 for a pint. I am going to take some before, during and after pics.. I will have them posted wish me luck... lol

great luck

im glad you found the bulldog:macho

03-02-2003, 03:59 AM

Good advise there, and even if you do it in your garage etc every little pieve of dust and small bug is gonna be ending up in the clear so get things as clean as you can.

and I checked my local super wal mart and they have never heard of bulldog. Can you get it at a paint store like sherwin williams or do you get it at a hardware store or what? Looks like one of the guys found it at Napa and I know that Pep Boys also carries Bull Dog so you can check them out if theres one near you. If not just look in the yellow pages under auto body supplies and call around

im a auto pro painter and do this all the time but it has to be done right with the right stuff in the right place or it will peel & crack. the material is not cheap and you need to spray it in a booth for a true dust free non orange peel shine. pay for shipping both ways to me in indiana and ill spray all your plastic for $175

Hey thats a pretty damn good price for anyone not too far away. Do you "guarantee" an orange peel free shine :) JK I know more than one shop with top notch booth that still end up buffing many jobs to cut down the peel.

breadman400ex
03-02-2003, 08:46 AM
well... here are a few pics of me getting started... first the before ... http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c815177d/bc/400EX/My+400EX.jpg?bcgPeY.A7hwIhWDu

breadman400ex
03-02-2003, 08:50 AM
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c815177d/bc/400EX/IMG00002.jpg?bcgPeY.ADDSrlM7a

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c815177d/bc/400EX/IMG00003.jpg?bcgPeY.AZQwUbkzb

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c815177d/bc/400EX/IMG00004.jpg?bcgPeY.AU7OUMlae

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c815177d/bc/400EX/IMG00005.jpg?bcgPeY.AvFHTKypd

breadman400ex
03-02-2003, 08:53 AM
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c815177d/bc/400EX/IMG00010.jpg?bcgPeY.AzukPrKM4

breadman400ex
03-02-2003, 09:13 AM
well I was going to take a few more of the rest of the plastic after the first coat but my digital cam just eats batteries.... I hate it now I have to wait till I get more batteries.:mad:

so anyway let me know what you think....

250x
03-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Good advise there, and even if you do it in your garage etc every little pieve of dust and small bug is gonna be ending up in the clear so get things as clean as you can.

Looks like one of the guys found it at Napa and I know that Pep Boys also carries Bull Dog so you can check them out if theres one near you. If not just look in the yellow pages under auto body supplies and call around

Hey thats a pretty damn good price for anyone not too far away. Do you "guarantee" an orange peel free shine :) JK I know more than one shop with top notch booth that still end up buffing many jobs to cut down the peel.

we never buff to cut down the peel. only to remove any dirt nibs. dont confuse orange peel with factory auto texture. if we paint a fender and door and flat sand it like a show car it wont match the rest of the factory texture that is there to help hide soft scuffing from washing.

03-03-2003, 03:07 AM
Breadman for some reason those links arent working for me :(

we never buff to cut down the peel. only to remove any dirt nibs. dont confuse orange peel with factory auto texture. if we paint a fender and door and flat sand it like a show car it wont match the rest of the factory texture that is there to help hide soft scuffing from washing.

I know what you mean there but not everyone doing the painting does or at least appears not to.

I dont want to get into this too much since this is a quad site but I think most shops over do it in some ways and are afraid to allow too much "peel" go out the door. There is also a big problem around this area from everyone being in a rush and not prepping the jobs thoroughly and maintaining the booths 100% and then combine this with wanting to get the job delivered ASAP and there is the gallon of dupont 5min clear and wham its "peel" city.

Guess its like anything else, rush and you tend to run into problems.

I see some shops that can deliver a excelent high gloss and doi job this time with out sanding and buffing and next time its completely the opposite.

As far as this all relates to this thread you guys needs to get everything 110% clean and take your time to get better results and not have half the dirt in the garage on your clear.

honda400exrider
04-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Alright, someone from here that has never done that before post a pic and tell us what you needed and how much you spent! LOL

jay's 300
04-09-2003, 01:29 PM
This is getting me interested now, but I'd like to see those pics of Breadman's 400. My friend paited his Raptor and it turned out real well. Holds up good too, no major scratches and no chips at all! More pics please! :D

lars
06-03-2003, 03:34 PM
try some wilbond i use it all the time at work or liquid sand comes in a can u can buy it at any harware store stuff makes any thing bond really good wipe your plastic down with it before and after sanding then i would recomend wiping with a tack rag last then shoot the clear on it :cool:

motoracer11
06-05-2003, 08:47 AM
sounds like a great idea...

so you can get it at a hardware store?
and how many bikes can you do with one can?

and what is bulldog?

stiffy
06-05-2003, 10:13 AM
If you do a search for my name (stiffy) and look for the thread that says (I painted my plastic) there is a picture of my 400 w/ flames and a clear coat. Sorry but I can't figure out how to link it and can't remember how to resize it.

lars
06-06-2003, 02:30 PM
never heard of bulldog but wilbond is good stuff i would highly recomend it to be used on anything before painting clear coat or what ever i spray alot of exterior metal doors with maintanance coatings industrial enamals so on and wilbond will grip excellent:cool:

06-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by lars
never heard of bulldog but wilbond is good stuff i would highly recomend it to be used on anything before painting clear coat or what ever i spray alot of exterior metal doors with maintanance coatings industrial enamals so on and wilbond will grip excellent:cool:

From what I have seen most of this stuff is about the same.

From what I hear most of it is made by the same place and just repackaged anyhow, and bonding type clear isnt anything special in the first place.

motoracer11
06-08-2003, 01:37 PM
but what does this bulldog stuff do ?

sorry im not so smart, might wanna try this stuff out if i find out if its eassy to do and use

lars
06-08-2003, 03:06 PM
what it does is dulls the surface and cleans it so that the clear coat adheres good. its more less a gripper for the clear coat or what ever u may be doing clear coat or painting

motoracer11
06-09-2003, 01:54 PM
ok thanx

i thought thats what it might do, but i just wasnt to sure of myself and needed a second opinion