PDA

View Full Version : Sand Dune Paddles

bencasey217
07-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Okay, I've seen CJM's thread about sand dune paddles a long time ago and now I can't find it so I made a new thread. I just have a quick question. I'm looking at either getting Skat Trak Haulers or ITP Sand Stars. I'm just wondering how much will I be able to turn with Haulers, and how much grip with I get with Sand Stars? Thanks!

hocman123
07-14-2011, 02:50 PM
well i have yet to buy a pair of paddles but i plan on getting the itp. i did a lot of looking around and reading reviews and they say that skat trak grabs really well but only if u are going in a straight line it doesn't corner well b/c of the tracks but the way the itp are made with a extra little paddes they can corner and handle a lot better. which sounded good for me b/c when i ride in the pit i also do some trail rideing and i like it ride allong the tops of steap hills so i want something with a little more controll

smelly$cat
07-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Straight blade paddles are going to grip. I have Skat trak extreme's. 6 paddle! on my 440. You won't be able "drift" much with them. If you are trying to slide them and you punch it, it will often lift the front end and try to go straight. Frankly, dirt tires are the best for drifting/sliding on the sand. That said, I have straight blades since I like to do hill climbs and drag races. Before these, I did have v-blade tires. Can't recall the brand, but, I like them too. To be perfectly honest, I bought the haulers since I though they looked better.

CJM
07-14-2011, 04:28 PM
ITP sand stars are basically the way to go for paddles if you want control, and he ability to turn well and drift. Straight paddles just climb and dig, great if your gonna drag or hill climb, bad if you want to do much else.

Coincidentally sand stars are on sale at motosport this week.

finsteratv
07-14-2011, 05:01 PM
i love my sandstars on my 400! we have them on our other 3 bikes too. they climb just fine and are capable of being slid easy and sand trail ridden. i can whip mine around with sandstars around and my dad climbs just about anything he see's haha :D just get speed and know when to shift. i pull up stuff in 2nd gear no problem in wet sand that 4x4 quads cant crawl or creep up if that says much haha

AnotherNewb
07-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Another option is the itp dune star. I have them on my 400 and they work quite well. Have no problems with climbing or sliding.

bencasey217
07-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by CJM
ITP sand stars are basically the way to go for paddles if you want control, and he ability to turn well and drift. Straight paddles just climb and dig, great if your gonna drag or hill climb, bad if you want to do much else.

Coincidentally sand stars are on sale at motosport this week. Would 20x11x8 tires fit on stock Honda rims? I'm really confused with Sand Paddle's sizing

CJM
07-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by bencasey217
Would 20x11x8 tires fit on stock Honda rims? I'm really confused with Sand Paddle's sizing

No, the last number in a tire size is the wheel size.

20 (overall tire diameter) X 11 (width) X 8 (wheel size).

You need tires for a 9 inch wheel if you want to use the stock wheels.