PDA

View Full Version : Chain questions

250rsforlife
07-13-2011, 08:06 PM
I bought my 250r a couple days ago and it looks like it needs a new chain so ive decided to get new sprockets i know what sprockets im gettin but wat is the best chain to get that will lats the longest?
thanks in advance

wilkin250r
07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
The sidewinder chains and sprockets are really solid, but most tend to think they're overpriced.

I use D.I.D. X-ring ATV chain on my quads. That doesn't necessarily mean they're the best, but they're good. Really, much like any products, I don't think you can go wrong with a big-name brand. RK, D.I.D., Renthal, and a half dozen others. I would probably stay away from the cheaper brands, like Primary Drive. Their steel sprockets are fine, because steel is already overkill, and I've never seen a steel sprocket break. But I've heard bad things about cheap chains.

The X-ring chains are supposed to be better because they have two sealing points instead of one on the O-ring. Also, not only are the X-ring chains supposed to seal better, but are also supposed to have less friction. The theory makes sense, and I believe it to be true, but I also think it's such a small difference, and also subject to so many other factors, that it's really difficult to put into numbers.

C&D racing gave me the best price I could find. And I'm not just saying that because they are site sponsors (even though I do agree with taking care of the ones that take care of you), but they really did indeed give me the best price. I even buy my streetbike chains and sprockets from them.

hartwill
07-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Yup, I use the d.I.d. atv x-ring chains. Great product and you can't beat the price, I think I paid $55 from hmf.. also I use steel SunStar sprockets, I bent an aluminum one and never went back..

destey
07-14-2011, 05:40 AM
I use the cheapest chain I can find on ebay, and replace it once a year in the spring. Chain is still OK in fall and after the winter it usually stiffens. I used o-ring chains and never found them to last any longer. The o-rings don't seem to do much other than drive the price up

Grande Huevos
07-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Im giving the Renthal Z ring chain a try on my 330 project ! They are supposed to be really nice not to mention they look SICK!!!.....if you like the gold chain look that is. Heres the info from motosport on them.

•Give your wallet a break with the extended chain life from the Renthal R4 520 ATV Z-ring chain.
•Renthal developed a patented Z-ring seal for the R4 chain that dramatically extends the life of the chain compared to non O-ring chains.
•The R4 chain features larger diameter pins manufactured from specially enhanced steel to resist shock loads.
•Linking the R4 chain together is performed from a quad riveting process on each pin to withstand the demands of high performance ATV's.
•The inner and outer plates on the R4 Z-ring chain get increased thicknesses to handle the tortures of racing.
•Note: The Renthal R4 ATV Z-ring chain includes both rivet and clip style master links.

250rsforlife
07-14-2011, 06:29 PM
im gona look into that z ring chain sounded like a good deal thanks

DnB_racing
07-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by destey
I use the cheapest chain I can find on ebay, and replace it once a year in the spring. Chain is still OK in fall and after the winter it usually stiffens. I used o-ring chains and never found them to last any longer. The o-rings don't seem to do much other than drive the price up a gambling man!!!I replace mine very often, but im afraid to go cheap, do the cheap ones stretch at all? and whats the tinsel strength?

on the x ring chains I use after about 5 hours I never even have to tighten my chain..

but actually I change my chains quit a bit,
as I use different gear ratios i have a chain for different sprocket combinations, depending on the type of riding...

I have chain and sprocket sets that allways get swaped out together, and I have three combinations that all look and and spec out like new, and are about 3 years old now, and all have low hours by doing this type of rotating them, but actual hours per chain are much less then a season each

jcs003
07-15-2011, 01:59 AM
there are ANSI regulations to follow for chain manufacturers. when purchasing a chain make sure you look at the tensile strength ratings and select the correct pitch to match your sprockets. i have been using an RK standard 520 roller for years with good results. its $25 and i consider it regular maintainance to replace it. although my sprockets are titanium(sidewinder) i have not yet spent the large amount necessary to match the titanium to the sprockets.

destey
07-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
a gambling man!!!I replace mine very often, but im afraid to go cheap, do the cheap ones stretch at all? and whats the tinsel strength?

I've been very happy with my cheap chains. If I budget $60 for chains for the year, I'd rather buy 2 cheap $30 chains than one $60 chain. In my experience they last the same.

Maybe your riding conditions are different and a more expensive / oring chain is worth it. I just haven't found a justification for the extra $$