PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coater called to tell me......

stever250r
07-13-2011, 02:55 PM
So......... after almost 4 weeks of waiting for my parts the Powder Coater called to inform me that.......

HE WOULD NEED TO LOCATE AND REPLACE SOME OF MY PARTS!!!!

Yes I knew that bad feeling I had when I dropped off those parts would soon come back to haunt me..

Apparently, he says one of his employees dropped all of my aluminum parts into a chemical bat that messed everything up....

My Merrell Hubs, My GT Steering Stem Clamp, and my New ASV levers are all toast!!!!..

He asked me where he could buy me replacements and when I informed him that he could just reimburse me approx. $400.00 in parts he tried to call BS on me... like I was lying to him...:mad: ....

He says all of the other parts are stripped, and ready to powder, but I feel like I should just go get everything, before he calls to tell me he needs to buy me a new Laeger Frame and Pro-Trax Front End.... What to do?? What to do?? I should have eaten the shipping and sent it all to Pappy....

OH BEER FRIDGE.... I knew I would need you soon...Im off to my garage to pout...:(

sameltoe
07-13-2011, 03:20 PM
O wow that sucks!

07-13-2011, 03:31 PM
I feel for ya. :(

250Renvy
07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Dude that sucks, but I don't understand why you were getting that stuff powdercoated?

Brand new ASV levers look awesome in their colors. A GT stem clamp would be polished aluminum and something you barely see. The merrel hubs are usually anodized - unless you were getting them re-anodized.

JHF219
07-13-2011, 04:33 PM
your powder coater doesnt know what he is doing, or he doesnt know how to use the chemicals/materials he has. It sounds to me like he used B17 to strip the parts, and left them in way too long!! I would demand the job be done for free, and parts replaced !! I powder coat full time, and if I EVER use my B17 the part gets tested first. If he had a lick of sense he would have used plastic bead blast to strip any old powder coating, and glass bead to strip the anodizing. I really hate to hear this happened this is what gives powder coating a bad name. I strive to provide the best service I can, and I take every precaution I can so that no ones parts get damaged. as for keeping stuff polished BORING :devil: besides upkeep is too much.

stever250r
07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Dude that sucks, but I don't understand why you were getting that stuff powdercoated?

Brand new ASV levers look awesome in their colors. A GT stem clamp would be polished aluminum and something you barely see. The merrel hubs are usually anodized - unless you were getting them re-anodized.

The Model of ASV levers I bought only came anodized in Red, Blue, Black....... In order to get the bare aluminum, I would have had to buy the next higher model...I wanted them to match my scheme which was really none of the above so when I spoke with the coater he told me he could strip the anodize and powder them whatever color I wanted so I bought the Red ones and opted to have them stripped and coated...

Same for the Merrel hubs... They were blue anodize, and I needed them a different color, so I opted to have them coated.... He told me that it wasnt a problem, so I took him for his word and went with it...

Lesson learned I guess..

JHF219
07-13-2011, 05:47 PM
dear moderators, I did not intentionally advertise, I was only trying to help a fellow member out who got a bum deal. Sorry if you felt this was wrong.

89trx250r
07-13-2011, 06:39 PM
its not like you put your number and company info here like "acecarlos" cough cough so i dont think the mods would even see it as advertising

JHF219
07-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
its not like you put your number and company info here like "acecarlos" cough cough so i dont think the mods would even see it as advertising

I did actually list my number, so yes I did violate a rule. I just hate seeing a member get a bum deal. He is in Kentucky and I am only 15 mins from louisville,KY so I was offering to help out. It wasnt meant as hey come to me bring me your business, it was meant as hey man, sorry to hear your powder coater is dicking you around and messed up your parts. I can be of assistance to get your quad done right. they also deleted my link to my personal build thread.

bigmatt61
07-13-2011, 07:31 PM
WOW! Deleted a link to your build thread?

WTF?!

Damn John one bummer turns into two!

Once again,

WTF?!

Matt

Pappy
07-13-2011, 07:35 PM
John, if a mod saw a number they proably just wiped the post....which it appears is what they did. They dont have time to edit numbers etc:p

Steve, that does suck, unfortunatley **** happens:( John can probably get you hooked up, send him a pm.

(btw, people report threads non stop when it comes to advertising, mainly because they themselves have been warned or had info deleted. Rules are simple, but have to apply to all)

JHF219
07-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
John, if a mod saw a number they proably just wiped the post....which it appears is what they did. They dont have time to edit numbers etc:p

Steve, that does suck, unfortunatley **** happens:( John can probably get you hooked up, send him a pm.

Pappy,

Thanks I'm sure that's all that happened and I apologize for breaking a rule. I'm planning to come see you guys this summer sometime!!

Pappy
07-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Be glad to have you out!

stever250r
07-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the offer to help me out....I'm going to meet with this guy on Friday and see how he handles the situation in person and see what my other parts look like. I understand **** happens and as long as he is willing.to make it right and my other parts turn out okay, all is good......Thanks again John and Pappy...I will be in touch

wilkin250r
07-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by JHF219
dear moderators, I did not intentionally advertise, I was only trying to help a fellow member out who got a bum deal. Sorry if you felt this was wrong.

It's been corrected, and I've never known you to be a problem, so it's just water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

But I'll be honest, though, I'm not real keen on your avatar...

JHF219
07-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It's been corrected, and I've never known you to be a problem, so it's just water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

But I'll be honest, though, I'm not real keen on your avatar...

Lol I'll change it when I get to a PC I've had that one for a very long time anyways.

Higgy87TRX425
07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally He asked me where he could buy me replacements and when I informed him that he could just reimburse me approx. $400.00 in parts he tried to call BS on me... like I was lying to him...:mad: ....

Don't you think that it would cost a little more then $400 to replace all of these parts? I know hubs can be upwards of $400 alone depending on what you buy! I don't think that you're obligated to take a discounted rate to replace your parts! Just my 2 cents and I realize that you said approximately $400! So I think that you were being very reasonable!!! I feel for ya man that sucks!! Sorry Higgy!

motochamp250
07-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Higgy87TRX425
[QUOTE][i]Originally He asked me where he could buy me replacements and when I informed him that he could just reimburse me approx. $400.00 in parts he tried to call BS on me... like I was lying to him...:mad: ....

Don't you think that it would cost a little more then $400 to replace all of these parts? I know hubs can be upwards of $400 alone depending on what you buy! I don't think that you're obligated to take a discounted rate to replace your parts! Just my 2 cents and I realize that you said approximately $400! So I think that you were being very reasonable!!! I feel for ya man that sucks!! Sorry Higgy!

thats what i was about to say... especially them being merrells. good luck finding a set as well... hope it works out for ya!
Hunter

stever250r
07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Higgy87TRX425

Well the Merrell Hubs and the GT stem clamp were used, the ASV levers were NEW, never mounted... I was only figuring what I had invested.. $200. for the Hubs, $140.00 for the Levers and $50.00 for the Stem Clamp.....I made a special trip out to his shop today and he wasn't there.. I spoke with him on the phone and he said that he would reimburse me the cost of the parts... Basically take $400.00 off of the cost of all the other parts I was having him powder....I originally took him the Frame, Subframe, Steering Stem, all 3 Brake Calipers, A-arms, Swingarm, Front and Rear Hubs, Brake Levers, Stem Clamp...Rear Link, Dogbone,and Headstay.. I believe that was all I took him...The problem was that he just gave me an estimate for everything. I didn't get an itemized cost for each part, so now I am concerned that he will only mark up the price of the items he has left to powder to make up for his loss...... I think in the end, I will end up eating a good chunk of this anyhow... I am considering going back tomorrow to get all of my parts back but then I most definately be out for the parts he messed up, because I can already tell he would not just fork over the cash for the parts he destroyed... I am still wondering if more parts werent damaged that he isnt wanting to tell me about.... Below is a few pictures of what my Hubs look like after he dropped them in the chemical bat.... It will make a nice paper weight for my desk at work.... :( Oh well... I cant continue to let it bother me... I HAVE A QUAD TO BUILD!!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Honda%20250R/051.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Honda%20250R/050.jpg

Higgy87TRX425
07-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Thats just painfull to look at! I think that you're being a little to reasonable. Yes you bought the hubs used, but he doesn't have to know that, and will you be able to finsd them used RIGHT NOW for that price so you can continue your build? Its not ur fault and you shouldn't be penialized because of it. I think that you should get all new parts out of it. I would want the parts replaced becasue like you said if you let him take the money off of what you're gonna have to pay him for the work you'll end up eating it in the end. Unless he's a real upstanding and honest guy?? Thats your call, but I think that you'd do better this way. Alot of times 250r parts are hard to find! Can you still find new Merrel hubs and a new GT stem clamp? You kow depending on how much of that aluminum is eatin away you minght try polishing those out. Hit them with a sander and see if you can take them down to being smooth again. They look pretty rough, but it might be possible, not too sure kinda hard to tell in photos online! Good luck Higgy!

Pappy
07-14-2011, 04:26 PM
That much time in the vat will take away a ton of strength...toss them:(

stever250r
07-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
That much time in the vat will take away a ton of strength...toss them:(

Pappy.... Is that what happened? Not that he necessarily used the wrong chemical, but just left them in too long, or maybe forgot about them completely?

JHF219
07-14-2011, 05:05 PM
That looks like b17 damage to me! That looks like they spent a very very long time submerged!! Man I'm so sad to see this!! Steve where are you located? I have stripped a lot of stuff with different chemicals and never had that problem that your hubs have!! I would tell him you want the 400$ for the parts, get my stuff and leave!! This guy is what gives us good powder coaters a bad name!!

pdxbigfoot
07-14-2011, 05:11 PM
My heart sank a little when I saw those Merrils. My condolences.

I would be furious!

Pappy
07-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Yep, chemical errosion. I will not use any chemical stripping or service. Burn off only.

Atleast he admitted what happened, thats a stand up guy. Mistakes can and will happen and it sure does suck. Atleast he is willing to pony up for replacement parts, I know alot of places that wouldnt.

DoonRider
07-14-2011, 10:04 PM
You say he offered to take it off your bill, but I don't think your bill would even be $400, not around here anyways unless you had some high dollar paint and several different colors.