PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing bolts

destey
07-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Putting my machine back together, the swingarm bolt is a little rusty. Besides having it sent off to be replated, what do people do to save a little $$?

I thought of using walmart's rust converter to get rid of the rust, then bluing the bolt with a gun bluing kit. What do you guys think?

C-LEIGH RACING
07-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Wire brush on a bench grinder, clean the bolt up, clear coat it & there you go.

Auto Zone, has anodize look spray can paints & you can take the yellow color & spray on a lite coat for the cad plated look.
Neil

265 sleeper
07-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by destey
Putting my machine back together, the swingarm bolt is a little rusty. Besides having it sent off to be replated, what do people do to save a little $$?

I thought of using walmart's rust converter to get rid of the rust, then bluing the bolt with a gun bluing kit. What do you guys think? whT blueing your going to use ? I'm curious as to how it comes out . That would make my bolts stand out from my Chrome and polished parts

destey
07-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 265 sleeper
whT blueing your going to use ? I'm curious as to how it comes out . That would make my bolts stand out from my Chrome and polished parts

I think its Birchwood casey perma blue but I'll check when I get home. I'm rethinking that idea because I know my blued guns do rust if I don't keep a coat of oil on them (which is why I go stainless with my ARs and pistols)