PDA

View Full Version : can someone tell me where i went wrong

woodsracer144
07-12-2011, 12:39 PM
ok so i parted out half my 250r motot cause it crack the right case half and getting out of racing then a buddy got me back in to riding so i got a 85 atc motor that was in rough shape for like 250 and i had to replace the crank with the one i had and i ran on that motor this last winter but alot of the bolt holes on the clutch cover were stripped out by the dummy i got it from so i had my right case half fixxed while i raced atc motor. and at the end of the season i pulled it all apart to put them in my good 88 cases. I cleaned the cases, put in new bearings and such and i put the trans in first, I had a lt250r that was a PITA, i never could get the trans to shift right so i leaned my lesson from that quad. so I set my left case half on 2x4's that are on the side put in the trans. then i put on the right case half with out the crank or the gasket in it just to snug it all up and make sure it works. so that was all good so then i put the crank and gasket on checked it all out good to go. put in my shift shaft, the little plate that goes on the shift drum and the shift start and then the clutch and all that and put on the clutch cover and at that time i was having problems with the kicker returning ( it was my fault... washer in wrong spot) so i got it all set and i just had the bottom end sitting on the shelf under cover and not i put on a top end and went to start it up and the dang thing wont shift out of first gear! its driving me nuts. i added oil all that and its stuck in first. I didnt hear anything go hay wire when i shifted all the forks were in great shape so i dont know what it wont go.

did i screw soming up or miss something cause i REALLY dont want to have to pull the motor and split it again...

CanuckR
07-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I can't give you an exact answer at all. Ive been in a similar position. I was less assembled than you are so it wasn't as big of a PITA. I would start by taking the clutch cover off and clutch basket out and taking a good hard look at the shift mechanism. If your unsure of what its supposed to look like post a picture. Hopefully its something stupid or simple in there.
When you try to shift up into 2nd does the shift lever move at all? or is it stuck?

Probably not exactly what you where hoping to hear but thats all the advice I can personally give.
Derek

CanuckR
07-12-2011, 02:24 PM
When you do figure it out add it to the list of lessons learned the painful way. I always check the shift pattern out after the cases go back together. You can spin the countershaft with one hand and use your other hand to turn the shift star or use a socket on that funny bolt that holds the shift star to the shift drum.
I learned the hard way.

265 sleeper
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I had a similar problem when I built bobizzle motor for him . It was a spare motor I picked up unknown problems . Put it together wouldn't shift pull it apart shift drum was broken . Pulled it apart rebuilt it it didn't want to shift again pulled it apart and swapped out the tranny . Never figured out what it was but I think a gear was put in wrong . Hope this helps .

woodsracer144
07-12-2011, 07:03 PM
I tore it apart, I thought it was with the shift star at the end of the drum, I can't figure it out.

When I pull up on the shifter it would be like neutral but it just drops down to first....

C-LEIGH RACING
07-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Over behind the clutch basket where the shift lever connects to the shift star,,, do you have that little small top hat looking sleeve in place.
Sometimes that little thing will go MIA & people just forget about it & then the shift lever wont move the shift drum enough.
The shift shaft on the end that moves the shift drum is hardened, but still can get bent & sometimes will slip past the shift star & not move the drum.
Neil

woodsracer144
07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
i have that part, I try moving the drum with the shaft off and i cant move it i'll spin the trans shafts and it still doesnt go... I think shes gonna have to get split...