PDA

View Full Version : Parking Break Problem!

JsnEX
02-22-2003, 09:18 AM
I just bought my 01 400EX and the parking break doesn't work at all! When i set it i can still move the quad back and forth REALLY easy. Any ideas!? The rear breaks do work with the pedal.

300exTJjeeper
02-22-2003, 09:36 AM
It needs adjusting. You can do this by pulling the boot off the the cables nead the clucth handle. And find the cable that is attached to the parking brake push pin. Ounce you find that you can unscrew that the 2 screws until the parking brake gets tight. If ou wind out the screw all the way then screw it back in and go the rear brake calpier and locate the parking brake cable there, you will see a nut and bolt tigthen that until the parking brake holds.

Personally I would get rid of because they drag the brakes without you even knowing it and wears the brakes down real fast.
But that is just my opion.

Good Luck

toby400ex
02-22-2003, 12:32 PM
eventually that thing will just lock up , so get rid of it

tprender
02-22-2003, 03:18 PM
You can adjust it to it will work great. that the quad for a short ride and it will not work. This type of setup does not work. It doesn't matter if it is on a Yam, Kaw, or Honda the disc parking brake does not work with the cable. Take it off and just use 1st gear.

QuadTrix6
02-22-2003, 03:45 PM
get rid of it and if you want a parking brake carry a zip tie :D

JD400exrider
02-22-2003, 07:24 PM
Mine did the same thing. Got better when i replaced my pads, although I aggree with every one else. Get ride of the whole parking brake gizmo. Just removed mine last week. Much cleaner looking at the back and at the perch lever.

wgbanks
02-22-2003, 10:05 PM
You should just forget about the parking brake never worked never will. Besides, when you get rid of the cable you can get a cool block off plate like this.:D

blood red
02-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Don't even screw with that thing, it will never work right. If you happen to get it to work, your break pads will wear like a b!tch. Buy a parking break block-off and a regular clutch perch. You can probably get away with this project for about $45.00. And get rid of that 500 pound stock clutch perch. Yucky lol

breaks-alot
02-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
get rid of it and if you want a parking brake carry a zip tie :D

What he means by this is you take 2 thick zip ties, make them zip together and you use it to hold your front break down. Matt Bartosek would always have them lying in his truck so he just would slide them on. He would have a $30,000 race bike that all he did was put a zip-tie on the break lever to tie it down? I never saw any problem with it though, so I started doing it also. Works great, but stock break lines might give out a bit. Always a good idea to invest in stainless lines anyway.

JsnEX
02-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks everyone for your replys! I adjusted it and got it to work. It doesn't seem to be locking up at all right now but i do think i'll invest in a new perch and block off plate in the near future! The zip ties are a cool idea to! Thanks everyone!