PDA

View Full Version : yz250f

mx8
07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Been looking at getting a dirt bike. I am looking at the yz250f or crf250x. Don't know a whole lot about them or how good they hold up. Any info would be great. Also I'm only going to be trail riding with it. I have a 400ex, I like the low maint you have to do with them. Would like to find a dirt bike I don't have to work on all the time. Clean air filter, change oil , check nuts and bolts, and ride. Thats the kind of bike I like. Thanks

HondaRacing83
07-12-2011, 09:35 AM
get the crf

trxredrider
07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
If your choice is only between those two then I would go with the CRF - better woods bike stock

ProspectorJim
07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
crf depending on the year. earlier ones like to drop valves.

mx8
07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm not stuck on any one brand. Just would like to find something that is going to last, like my 400ex motor has.

eastside 400
07-12-2011, 07:45 PM
the CRFs dont have problems with "dropping" valves, the intakes just tend to wear out prematurely due to bad valve seat material with the Ti valve. Keep a nice clean oiled air filter and add some oil into your gas or use leaded gas and it will help, when they wear out put a set of SS intakes with matching springs and yours bullet proof.

krt400ex
07-13-2011, 07:12 AM
with all due respect, adding oil into the gas of a performance oriented four stroke is the most foolish thing i have ever heard of.

as far as maintenance is concerned, it could go either way with these two bikes. the yzf has a 5 valve head. the valves are lighter and dont wear out as easily because of it. at the same time, the crf x is in a lower state of tune. the x stands for cross country/enduro style. that being said, the crf250r is not nearly as reliable as the yzf. between the x and the yzf, i'd say reliability is close. with either of those bikes you will need to keep up on valve adjustments and probably rebuild the top end once ever season or two depending on how much riding you are doing.

eastside 400
07-13-2011, 10:18 AM
im not saying mix oil in like a 2 stroke, but add a cap full of oil into each tank of gas, it wont smoke but it will provide the topend parts with lubrication. And also, the CRF uses Ti valves too, its just that the seat material is bad for Ti so they tend to wear out faster. its really not a big deal though

krt400ex
07-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
im not saying mix oil in like a 2 stroke, but add a cap full of oil into each tank of gas, it wont smoke but it will provide the topend parts with lubrication. And also, the CRF uses Ti valves too, its just that the seat material is bad for Ti so they tend to wear out faster. its really not a big deal though

the crf R uses a mix of steel and ti valves. i forget which is what but the intake side is one and the exhaust side is the other. the crf X which is what this bike is, uses steel valves.

a cup full of oil wont mix with the gas. it will be a blob in the tank. to either it'll all go through fairly quickly and you'll still have alot of fuel left in the tank with no oil, or else it'll sit in the tank.

eastside 400
07-15-2011, 07:08 PM
im done arguing since you seem to know everything, but the 250R and X use the same valves, the intakes are Ti, the exhaust are steel, the intakes are what wear out. look up the part #'s for yourself.

Scro
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
im not saying mix oil in like a 2 stroke, but add a cap full of oil into each tank of gas, it wont smoke but it will provide the topend parts with lubrication.

That's a new one on me.

mx8
07-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Could you go with all steel valves, to make it more reliable. And would you notice much of a difference with steel valves. On both the intake and exhaust. Thanks

KXRida
07-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by mx8
Could you go with all steel valves, to make it more reliable. And would you notice much of a difference with steel valves. On both the intake and exhaust. Thanks

It's not the valves themselves, more the valve seats. Honda's like to eat the valve seats and suck the valve down through the head. Call up kibblewhite, spend some coin and you'll most likely never have and issue with the valve train again. yzf's seem to be more reliable than the others. Never had an issue with my yzf. Only made one valve adjustment in the 2 years I had it and that was with 20-40 hour valve checks. Mx wise, I liked my kxf and rmz the most.