PDA

View Full Version : New to the 450 world

flyboy1294
07-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Hey guys,

After 2 years of owning/upgrading a 400 I finally made the switch.

Today I picked up a decent 2005 450r. It has an HRC kit (Cam, open-ish airbox, needle, etc), a FMF slip on, G-Force axle, and little stuff like bumper and some nerfs. Guy had had it for 6 years and ridden it around his farm the whole time. Had normal dirt but was obviously garage kept. The engine internals are stock aside from the cam. Runs like a top, and does not smoke or anything. Starts first kick even when cold.

I had never heard the noises these engines make, and was concerned at first with this one. After watching some youtube videos of other 450R's, I feel like this is just normal engine noise though. Reminds me of my 400's ticking lol.

My initial impression was wow! The power isn't that much more than my built 440 was (granted, this quad is stock almost), but the RPM range is crazy! I got to the point in the RPMs where my 400 topped out, and this thing just kept on going. I'm very impressed so far. Also I am loving the kick start. No battery is fine by me.

Anyway, here is the first question I have. Tore into the carb and it has 185 main and stock 48 pilot. Sometimes when I run the RPM's up it will pop slightly on decel. I should increase the pilot jet, correct? I am pretty sure the main is fine. Doesn't smoke at all on acceleration and is crisp and clean.

I will post pics up tomorrow hopefully. Right now the quad is stripped down getting soaked with windex and armor all. :o

Pacheco_450r
07-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Yea these Hondas tick like crazy, it kinda scared me when I first got mine. If its backfiring turn the air-screw from seated up to 3 turns out, if it still backfires go up a size for your pilot and start over.

flyboy1294
07-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Will do. It barely pops, so I think it is just a tiny bit lean.

mx Eli
07-11-2011, 11:45 AM
i had to go to a 50 pilot on my old 04 with about the same mods as you

flyboy1294
07-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
i had to go to a 50 pilot on my old 04 with about the same mods as you

Still popping very softly. I went to my local shop and asked for a 50 pilot and they said unless it was blowing white smoke I was good. :eek2: I'm speechless lol.

Tomorrow I will drive to the next town over and try their shop.

mx Eli
07-11-2011, 03:26 PM
mine poped pretty bad on de-cel but after going to the higher pilot i had to go down a couple on the main jet

flyboy1294
07-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Here is a walk around video that shows the over all quad and the engine noise I was concerned about.

Sorry it is foggy. 70% humidity killed the camera.
<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2z3ph662ih0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DnB_racing
07-11-2011, 05:29 PM
sounds fine, good looking quad, nice find you should have fun

01boneless
07-11-2011, 05:34 PM
nice dude im raly glad for ya. im looking to make the switch next season though i will miss my 400ex. and not to point out things but i think your idel is WAY to high:ermm: :D

flyboy1294
07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
sounds fine, good looking quad, nice find you should have fun

Does the idle sound okay to you? It seems a little high to me but it kind of chugs when I have it turned down.

And Boneless, as of right now, I may like the powerband on my 440 a bit more. This one likes to be wound it, and my 440 was more of a stump puller.

I'll get used to it :macho

DnB_racing
07-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
Does the idle sound okay to you? It seems a little high to me but it kind of chugs when I have it turned down.

And Boneless, as of right now, I may like the powerband on my 440 a bit more. This one likes to be wound it, and my 440 was more of a stump puller.

I'll get used to it :macho as far as idle its kinda hard to tell from the video, but if the idle might be a indication of your pilot or air screw needs adjusting... if it idles good or even high when sitting in neutral, but when a load on the motor or in gear, like when no throttle but in gear going down a hill with clutch in,

if it stalls like low idle try playing with air screw..

im not sure how much experience you have with carbs and the different carb circuits.. but google carb jetting and you will get some good info about the pilot adjustment procedure

flyboy1294
07-13-2011, 09:11 AM
I did all the jetting on my 400ex by myself. I know the basic procedure.

It does not stall or show any major signs of bad jetting when riding. The only thing it does is when you accelerate HARD then let off, it makes ever so slight popping sounds. They are very quiet, and got even more quiet when I went 3 turns out on the a/f screw. I am going to put a 50 pilot in it whenever I can find one at the shop, then readjust and see how it does

Ruf Racing
07-13-2011, 10:29 AM
got even more quiet when I went 3 turns out on the a/f screw. I am going to put a 50 pilot in it whenever I can find one at the shop, then readjust and see how it does

It seems you are going in the right direction. Also remember, exhaust leaks, will cause decel pops.

RallySoob
07-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Congrats!

I made the same switch a few years ago...My baby was a 440ex that was built well enough to take banshee's up a hill. I loved that bike...so much track time on that bish. My 450 was bone stock so I was super dissapointed with the power when I got it...and it came with 10 paddles which was way too much traction for that little of power...it sucked..I was dissapointed.

Than I got a full exhaust/intake/filter and HotCam Stg 2....now it rocks! much faster than my 440 was and has the top end to boot. The rpm range on my girls 06 feels a bit better but its still worlds better than my 440 was I agree with you there

Have fun man... sounds like you are a hair lean...

flyboy1294
07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys,

I think the power is around the same as my 440. It's the rev that is better.

I have +2 arms for it on the way. Also, I plan I putting a Dasa full system on it, and doing the FCR swap before the end of the summer.

Anyway, changed all the fluids today.

Not a speck of metal. I think it's sound.

Tomorrow I am off to the dealer to get a 50 pilot jet... and a keychain thing that says 'Honda.' :bandit:

01boneless
07-14-2011, 05:46 PM
have any pics of it?

DnB_racing
07-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
have any pics of it? go back one page... video... lol

common pay attention...lol

Here is a walk around video that shows the over all quad and the engine noise I was concerned about.

Sorry it is foggy. 70% humidity killed the camera.
<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2z3ph662ih0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

01boneless
07-14-2011, 06:38 PM
duhhh i know that lol that dosent show the quad real good like pics do :)

DnB_racing
07-14-2011, 06:40 PM
ya sure you saw it..good try...lol

01boneless
07-15-2011, 09:26 AM
ya sure you saw it..good try...lol

i did how you think i said the idel was to high or did you miss that ? lol:blah:

DnB_racing
07-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
i did how you think i said the idel was to high or did you miss that ? lol:blah: I guess I wasnt paying attention... I wont let it happen again

I tought I was mistaken but I was wrong:huh

flyboy1294
07-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Simmer down gentlemen :blah:
I'll get pics today. I've been working and haven't gotten home until after dark lately.

DnB_racing
07-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Simmer down gentlemen :blah:
I'll get pics today. I've been working and haven't gotten home until after dark lately. simmer down? we didnt even reach the boiling point yet..lol...

dont worry about pics,
spend the extra time riding and enjoying it,once you get used to the higher rev you will love it,

Ive owned 250rs 400ex and 450r, and i would take the 450 over all...
but i will never get rid of the 250,
its more of a eye catching conversation piece.. but the 450 gets plenty of comments also...

the 400ex might be a great quad but it just doesnt have the same appeal as the others, I almost never had someone get off there quad and stop to check my 400,
but my other two people will keep staring at whats on them..
the 450s are definitely a real machine, be careful and safe, they can trow you real quick

flyboy1294
07-16-2011, 08:15 AM
simmer down? we didnt even reach the boiling point yet..lol...

dont worry about pics,
spend the extra time riding and enjoying it,once you get used to the higher rev you will love it,

Ive owned 250rs 400ex and 450r, and i would take the 450 over all...
but i will never get rid of the 250,
its more of a eye catching conversation piece.. but the 450 gets plenty of comments also...

the 400ex might be a great quad but it just doesnt have the same appeal as the others, I almost never had someone get off there quad and stop to check my 400,
but my other two people will keep staring at whats on them..
the 450s are definitely a real machine, be careful and safe, they can trow you real quick

Haha I will get some pics before and during riding today if we get to go.

This quad seems solid. I really like the kicker. On my 400,I would spend $50+ for a new battery then run it down in a few cranks (high compression.)

I really do see what people mean when they say 450s are geared higher. On the 440, I could let it idle and drop the clutch and roll off. This one you really have to feather the clutch in 1st to keep from stalling.

Here is my most recent question: how necessary are full-exhaust? The slip on the quad came with has an exhaust leak towards the header. I can either get myself a new Motoworks slip on for $200, or I can invest $350+ on a used full system.

DnB_racing
07-16-2011, 08:20 AM
the full is worth it, much better design and flow..

as far as the gearing ...yes they dont like to go slow, it will make you a better rider..

until you get used to it you might want to change your sprockets to give you a little bit more low end till you get used to the revs

flyboy1294
07-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Finally got some pics from the ride yesterday.

Quad did very well. We rode close to 20 miles up to the top of a mountain. I am very glad to have the liquid cooling. There was a section of dry creek beds in which you had to constantly lug it in 1st. This one just ran the fan really loud. I have no doubt my 400 would have melted down.

Anyway, here are some pics.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Powersports/Photo0006.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Powersports/Photo0004.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Powersports/Photo0005.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Powersports/Photo0007.jpg

Wish I could have got some of riding. I really need a GoPro. FWIW, the only reason the quad is muddy is I sunk down into some very soft ground and got stuck. I hate mud. :blah:

Anyway, it's all powerwashed off now, I need to armor-all it today and take some 'afters.'

flyboy1294
07-25-2011, 07:39 AM
One more.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Powersports/101_0814.jpg

The trails involved a few miles of gravel roads, and we would stop everytime we saw an older building to let the Rhino catch up. That's about the only time I could remember to get the camera out. :chinese:

DnB_racing
07-25-2011, 07:54 AM

This one just ran the fan really loud.
sounds like you enjoying your new quad!

just FWIW, most of the fans arnt that loud,make sure you dont have something causing it to either rub or bind, and make sure your radiator isn't blocked putting more strain on the fan ,

spin it without the quad running it shouldn't make any noise at all

chronicsmoke
07-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Glad to see you're enjoying the new ride!

Its a really tough decision to sell a 400ex and upgrade, but worth it in the end!

Sign up on the .org (trx450r.org) wayy more info on the 450r than there is here.

Find a cheap full system too!

flyboy1294
07-25-2011, 09:54 AM
sounds like you enjoying your new quad!

just FWIW, most of the fans arnt that loud,make sure you dont have something causing it to either rub or bind, and make sure your radiator isn't blocked putting more strain on the fan ,

spin it without the quad running it shouldn't make any noise at all

The fan is fine. Actually is quieter than the SPAL I had on my 400ex. :) I mean 'loud' as a relative term, lol.

Glad to see you're enjoying the new ride! Its a really tough decision to sell a 400ex and upgrade, but worth it in the end! Sign up on the .org (trx450r.org) wayy more info on the 450r than there is here. Find a cheap full system too!

Chronic, I really am glad I made the swap. The 450R has the same power (maybe more?) as my 440, but is much more reliable.

Also, oddly enough, I read about your QOTM in your sig and signed up on the ORG a month ago. Very helpful info there. I only have like 4 posts over there so I feel like a noob. :D

I am trying to decide between a full system and the FCR carb. I will do both this summer but I can only do one thing every two weeks. Any input?

flyboy1294
07-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Got it cleaned this morning. Here are the pics I promised.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Powersports/Photo0012.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Powersports/Photo0010.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Powersports/Photo0009.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Powersports/Photo0011.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/Powersports/Photo0013.jpg

hondarider421
07-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Bike looks good man i have a 05 mx built one fully custom i went from a 460 built 400 ex and yes its deff better to be on a 450 and ur best upgrade for power and price will be the fcr more air more fuel more power then i strongly advise a dasa for exhaust i run one and love it huge power increase enjoy the bike man they are awesome