PDA

View Full Version : Cr125

finsteratv
07-10-2011, 04:50 PM
A friend of mines dad hs a 2002 cr125 for sale, said its in pretty good condition and hasnt been riden much due to being there back up bike. im going to look at it pretty soon because he wants 900 bucks which is a killer eal if its in decent shape. anyting to look for on these? I really want to pick up a 2 smoker dirtbike and figure at 5' 11" 150lbs almost 15 qhy not, should pull me pretty well :macho suggestions warnings thoughts
THROW EM TOO ME

HondaPohl
07-10-2011, 05:01 PM
If its been jumped just make sure the frame or subframe isnt cracked. Besides that there aint much to them. Check the fork seals but that aint no biggie. 900 bucks! Even if its blown up. Good deal.

JParisi48
07-10-2011, 05:35 PM
dude, i just picked one up for 1000, 2003 thing is mint. all i need to do is get a new top end, parts are coming this week cant wait to ride it! check the spark plug to see if it looks good or if it fouls alot, put it on a stand and wiggle the tires to see if there is play, check to see if the fork seals are junk, check for cracks or bends, brakes, and ride it! good luck

finsteratv
07-10-2011, 09:09 PM
dang well i better get on it! it seems like a bike would be alot of fun along with my wheeler. just gotta get the last lil bit of money :chinese:

finsteratv
07-12-2011, 01:59 PM
picking it up soon, turns out its a 2001. any body know some inexpensive mods for these? good bark busters? reccomendations my friends.
:chinese:

rbgnwa45
07-12-2011, 03:01 PM
The cheap engine mods will be anything outside of the engine like reeds, pipe, filter, carb, and sprockets. Check ebay but don't cheap out with the chain & sprockets, buy both new. They respond extremely well to mods. Unlesss you're doing drags or riding long open trails where you can use the top end, a low to mid hit would be easier to handle, be more tractable, better on gas, and be more usefull.

You're lucky that it's an 01 and not an 02. I think they redesigned and it had a much worse engine after 02, maybe it was just the CR250 though.

The best mod is always tuned suspension :chinese:.

finsteratv
07-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
The cheap engine mods will be anything outside of the engine like reeds, pipe, filter, carb, and sprockets. Check ebay but don't cheap out with the chain & sprockets, buy both new. They respond extremely well to mods. Unlesss you're doing drags or riding long open trails where you can use the top end, a low to mid hit would be easier to handle, be more tractable, better on gas, and be more usefull.

You're lucky that it's an 01 and not an 02. I think they redesigned and it had a much worse engine after 02, maybe it was just the CR250 though.

The best mod is always tuned suspension :chinese:.
thats what i was thinking on supension, im not sure what mods to do till im sure i really like bikes.. and by how it felt yesterday.. I REALLY LIKE THEM haha. im mostly legs but pretty well built so i should be able to handle it just fine.

krt400ex
07-13-2011, 07:07 AM
if you can do the wrenching yourself, believe it or not an inexpensive mod is getting the head milled for high compression. makes a huge difference. basically its cost of head gasket plus the machine work. between the 2 it cost me like $80 when i had my kx 125. the bike came on a little stronger, but the biggest thing i noticed is that it didnt fall out of the powerband once it hit. just never did. that bike screamed. do that, pipe, and reeds and that little bike will fly. you will have the run race gas if you mill the head though

finsteratv
07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
if you can do the wrenching yourself, believe it or not an inexpensive mod is getting the head milled for high compression. makes a huge difference. basically its cost of head gasket plus the machine work. between the 2 it cost me like $80 when i had my kx 125. the bike came on a little stronger, but the biggest thing i noticed is that it didnt fall out of the powerband once it hit. just never did. that bike screamed. do that, pipe, and reeds and that little bike will fly. you will have the run race gas if you mill the head though
if i rode sand with it i would most likely do that to squeeze all the powe i can! but being its gonna be more of a camping,trail,play bike i want it to be reliable and run premium mixed! whacha recomend? 36:1? my dad swears by 50:1 because thats what he runs in all his chainsaws :rolleyes:

fastredrider44
07-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I run 50:1 in all my saws. But dirtbikes aren't saws. Some run 40:1, I always ran 36:1 using Castor 927 oil.

nastyrider17
07-13-2011, 03:26 PM
I would recommend a 40:1 ratio. That's what I have been running for years and have had very little problems with my bikes.

finsteratv
07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
i think i'll do 40:1 because i think with 36 it might not do so well in trails but 40 sounds like a happy medium! any tips for 2strokes??

rbgnwa45
07-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Use what everyone else uses on that year bike. Hell, ask Rick Siemen.

Carefull of the powerband on concrete. In the lower gears the snap can be too fast to react to.

I remember a friend on another friends RM80, the owner said "DON'T flip it!" - out of the 1st corner, as he shifts into 2nd it flips, it was hilarious! And that was just like a '96 or something.

You get used to the power quick, but it can still get you into trouble easily. There's such a big difference between concrete and dirt, so don't under-estimate its limits. You may think you gained power when it's only a new tire.

For sand you should really get a 250 as lots of power is robbed.

finsteratv
07-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
Use what everyone else uses on that year bike. Hell, ask Rick Siemen.

Carefull of the powerband on concrete. In the lower gears the snap can be too fast to react to.

I remember a friend on another friends RM80, the owner said "DON'T flip it!" - out of the 1st corner, as he shifts into 2nd it flips, it was hilarious! And that was just like a '96 or something.

You get used to the power quick, but it can still get you into trouble easily. There's such a big difference between concrete and dirt, so don't under-estimate its limits. You may think you gained power when it's only a new tire.

For sand you should really get a 250 as lots of power is robbed.
same ting with my friends little raced out kx65! his dad hopped on and was like oh yeah whatever its a little bike and it put him on his back :D 40 years of offroad experience then that happens..pride is hurt but good laughs! but im keeping my 400 for sand and everything else since in sand oon a bike its GO FAST or DONT GO and i ride with my family so....sometimes they like just a slower cruise :mad:

rbgnwa45
07-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Not quite go fast or not at all nowadays because of reliable spark plugs for 2-strokes. For instance I think Suzuki started using them back in 01ish and they were like $50/plug cuz they didn't die very much.

krt400ex
07-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
if i rode sand with it i would most likely do that to squeeze all the powe i can! but being its gonna be more of a camping,trail,play bike i want it to be reliable and run premium mixed! whacha recomend? 36:1? my dad swears by 50:1 because thats what he runs in all his chainsaws :rolleyes:

i ran 32 to 1. you can run anywhere between 32:1 an 40:1. i like to run a little more oil to protect the engine. 50:1 in a bike is too lean

finsteratv
07-15-2011, 06:13 PM
im going to get it tonight :D 800$ guys!im physced haha i'll get pics up asap.

KXRida
07-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
i think i'll do 40:1 because i think with 36 it might not do so well in trails but 40 sounds like a happy medium! any tips for 2strokes??

run a little heavier on the oil for a 125 and jet for it. Keep your mixes and oil consistent. Pick a ratio, pick an oil, and jet for the conditions.

finsteratv
07-15-2011, 11:06 PM
so im thinking about 36:1 and my buddy runs that in his kx (we ride together) so that should be good. taking it to his dad whos gonna help me tune it and throw some handguards and grips :) pics soon

finsteratv
07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
800$ :D now im gettin handguards,new fluids, cleaned (dont really need it) and etc etc another one to the fleet :macho