PDA

View Full Version : grab '05 or pass?

MtnEX
07-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I happened across an '05 that looks new.

A few scratches on the plastic, but not enough riding for any frame scuffing or anything.

I don't have the money to jump on it today, would have to borrow this week and then sell something, so I have had time to think about it and try to read up here about the differences the 04/05 had from the rest.

Frankly all I have done is confuse myself and scare myself away from both versions.

Scared of the crank bearings on the 04/05 and the transmission on the 06+... lol...

This bike would be a woods racer and trail bike. Kinda sounds like the right chassis, wrong motor for the woods? Heck I don't know....

400exHondaRider
07-10-2011, 07:04 PM
well it depends are you ganna be getting into any motor work while building it for xc? if you do you can easily prevent the crank bearing problem with a few aftermarket parts and youll be good to go. but other than that if its a good price and in good shape i would jump on it.

PSNL05
07-12-2011, 06:54 AM
The 04/05 is better for woods racing considering all of the shifting you'll be doing. And if you get a late build 05, it should already have the updated crank bearings. Or you could pull the motor down and rebuild it yourself and put new (upgraded) OEM crank bearings in it.

MtnEX
07-12-2011, 09:06 AM
How do you figure out it is a late 05 before tearing it apart?

chronicsmoke
07-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
How do you figure out it is a late 05 before tearing it apart?

^^ x2??

What would you have to give up for it?

(400ex or something not atv related haha)