PDA

View Full Version : Question about performance of modded 400ex

RNL
07-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Hey guys, just a little info being sought here. Next weekend a group of us are going riding up north. I will be riding(not mine) a 2008 400ex with a sparks pipe, spot on jetting, k and n filter and sparks timing key. Gonna be riding with some z 400's, two 205r's and a couple other 400exs, and a 2005 450r. I was just wondering what to expect performance wise from the 400ex I'll be on with the mods. the trash talking, all in fun, has already started. We're hitting the trails but there will be some dragging for sure. Can I hang with the z400s with the EX I'll be on, they have slip on pipes. This is all in good fun, and I'm so excited to get out and ride again!!! any info would be appreciated. I'm pumped!

DragonGunner
07-10-2011, 09:38 AM
If its woods riding you'll habg in there just fine...long drags are not the 400EX's specialty though, the 450R an 250R are going to be faster top end an so should the Z's...thats if everyone is equal in riding skills, so its possiable you can beat all of them....if they suck. Good luck, you'll have fun, that EX is ready with what you said.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
07-10-2011, 10:42 AM
i have a stock 08 400ex and my cousin's friend has a Z400 with a HMF slip-on, Twin-air filter, Dynojet kit, and i dragged him on bout a 1/4 mile and i beat him, so i'd say you'll be alright

RNL
07-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
If its woods riding you'll habg in there just fine...long drags are not the 400EX's specialty though, the 450R an 250R are going to be faster top end an so should the Z's...thats if everyone is equal in riding skills, so its possiable you can beat all of them....if they suck. Good luck, you'll have fun, that EX is ready with what you said.

Gonna be mostly woods and trails, I'm thinking when we do drag I might have an advantage in the type of soil we will be in. Northern Michigan trails are mostly loose sand and soil. If I can keep the front end down, I might get the other guys off the line with the Z's ifthey are spinning their tires trying to find traction, the 400ex has a brand new set of Maxxis Razr's......the 400ex I used to have seemed to have more tractable and usable power down low due to how it delivers the power to the ground. The drags wont be much past a couple hundred yards. I know I wont get the 450 or 250, hopefully I make it respectable with the Zuki 400's.

I have yet to ride the 400ex I'll be on this weekened, but I have seen it in action and its a strong running and torquey quad. my friend who owns it and put on the mods just raves about the Sparks key. Calls it his secret weapon lol.

RNL
07-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by B.C.#11TRX400EX
i have a stock 08 400ex and my cousin's friend has a Z400 with a HMF slip-on, Twin-air filter, Dynojet kit, and i dragged him on bout a 1/4 mile and i beat him, so i'd say you'll be alright

You must be a better rider than he is, the Z's got more acceleration than the 400ex from what I've been told and read. I'm hoping with the extra torque I can get out of the whole quicker and hold them off. :)

B.C.#11TRX400EX
07-10-2011, 10:50 AM
haha no thats when i first started riding he wanted to drag so he said go and he beat me at the start but after a minute i took off past him

RNL
07-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by B.C.#11TRX400EX
haha no thats when i first started riding he wanted to drag so he said go and he beat me at the start but after a minute i took off past him

When I had my 400, it was stock and I never dragged anyone. I'm thinking short shifting is the way to go to utilize the down low power of that engine. Anyone got any tips or advice from past experiences? I'm pretty pumped, its been a while since I got to ride, lost my 400ex in a divorce and havnt been able to get a quad since. :mad:

Thumpin440ex
07-10-2011, 01:07 PM
In the trails, if you have any exp you should be able to be rite there with all of them, or even pass them. The EX is still one of the best trail bikes built.. But with the timing key, pipe ect, you should def be able to hang for a bit in the drag.. The Z's are supposed to be faster, but when my bike was stock I could stay rite with them... Some bikes are freaks..

John

01boneless
07-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
In the trails, if you have any exp you should be able to be rite there with all of them, or even pass them. The EX is still one of the best trail bikes built.. But with the timing key, pipe ect, you should def be able to hang for a bit in the drag.. The Z's are supposed to be faster, but when my bike was stock I could stay rite with them... Some bikes are freaks..

John

it all depends on rider weight skill and mods, my 400ex has a wiseco 11;1 piston fmf slip on uni filter no lid and rejeted and just last week i beat a z400 with a pipe filter and rejetted by 3 bike lengths every time. so just go have some fun

Thumpin440ex
07-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
it all depends on rider weight skill and mods, my 400ex has a wiseco 11;1 piston fmf slip on uni filter no lid and rejeted and just last week i beat a z400 with a pipe filter and rejetted by 3 bike lengths every time. so just go have some fun

Agreed.. I am beating slighty modded 450's with my 440 set up, have people scratching their head.. Of course i never tell them it is a 440 or the head has been worked or it is cam'd, yada yada.. All they think is it has a cdi pipe, a tooth off the rear sprocket.. Shhhhhhh hahahha

John

01boneless
07-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Agreed.. I am beating slighty modded 450's with my 440 set up, have people scratching their head.. Of course i never tell them it is a 440 or the head has been worked or it is cam'd, yada yada.. All they think is it has a cdi pipe, a tooth off the rear sprocket.. Shhhhhhh hahahha

John

haha its funny cause a guy i know went to a drag race a t the track and beat highly modded 450s with his yfz. every ones like man that thing is built!!! lol little do they know it just a a pipe and power comander he is just a awsome rider lol

jgar
07-12-2011, 09:25 PM
In the woods you will be pushing them allong. Its one of those areas where big power doesnt mean they will be faster. My ex is mainly stock and in the woods I can push a stock and built 700xx. My buds with the xx's get pissed when Iam 6" off of their grab bar on the trails. But when we drag Iam so far behind its not funny.