PDA

View Full Version : Electric Rc guys

muddy400EX
07-10-2011, 06:44 AM
my little brother has an RC10T3, thats been sitting in the closet for a few years, from when i had my nitro rc. he said it was messed up so i wanna try and get it going again. heres what it does

steering works good, but as soon as i turn the controller on, the motor takes off in reverse, and i smell it burning. would this be a bad motor, or maybe the esc?

i dont know anything about electrics, i want another nitro but was gonna mess with this till i get one

mjc597
07-10-2011, 09:48 AM
sounds to me like the esc isn't any good....or might just need to be reset. it's been a while since i've messed with an electric rc...but sounds like the esc is the problem.

yellowzo3
07-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah it might be the ESC... But does your controller have anything on it that allows you to adjust the throttle position? For instance, on my old Traxxas controller there was a knob I could turn that would slowly increase the motor speed without touching the trigger. So the trigger could be in the regular "neutral" position and the motor would be turning at a decent speed.

What kind of ESC is it? I haven't touched my RC's in years but just curious of your setup. Maybe we're both running some ancient parts :p

Kickstarts-suck
07-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
Yeah it might be the ESC... But does your controller have anything on it that allows you to adjust the throttle position? For instance, on my old Traxxas controller there was a knob I could turn that would slowly increase the motor speed without touching the trigger. So the trigger could be in the regular "neutral" position and the motor would be turning at a decent speed.

This^^ Been like 8 years since ive had my Emaxx though.

chucked
07-10-2011, 04:54 PM
IF it smells like its burning, esc probably fried, but could just be dust burning in the motor. Could be the throttle trim on the remote or esc may need to be re-setup.

muddy400EX
07-11-2011, 05:42 AM
throttle on contoller was all the way to one side, lol. but would that cause the motor to overheat?

now the motor dont do anything. the greed led on the esc doesnt come on now, tried the setup button but didnt do anything.

are the electric motors pretty much interchangeable? was lookin at t3's on youtube, and alot of the brushless t3's are by Castle Creations. motor and esc come together

like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Castle-Creations-1-10-Sidewinder-Sport-ESC-5700kv-Motor-/390327325133?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae15251cd

insaneracin2003
07-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Brushless is the way to go now a days. virtually no maintenance.
What remote do you have? Some have a switch to reverse the throttle and servos. It can also be the throttle trim as stated earlier but if it running in reverse that will not help your problem.
you can also switch the wires from the motor to the speed control to get them running in the right direction. That will not hurt the esc. black to red and red to black. or what ever colors they are. back in the day, when the T3 was the new thing, we had to always rebuild the motors with new brushes and cleaning the coms. we would have to unsolder the wires and then solder them back on. make sure you look at the top of the motor can and solder the wires back on correctly. pos-pos. neg-neg.