PDA

View Full Version : Why do they stretch the quad

SpasticR450
07-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Why spend all the money to stretch the quad why not just add a cheap wheelie bar? Is there some kind of advantage?

400exshop
07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Most of the time if you have a wheelie bar you cant get any one to race you.

SpasticR450
07-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Why spend 2-3000 on a new chassis when could make a wheelie bar out of scrap metal and save weight prob?

tayyo789
07-13-2011, 12:10 PM
The longer wheelbase helps track straighter, and is more stable at higher speeds, as well as eliminate the need for a wheelie bar. When you run a wheelie bar, you're still allowing your front tires to leave the ground, which of course eliminates your ability to steer if you need to. With the serious drag bikes, they do want to pull one way or another, unless the conditions are perfect so steering is still necessary even though they "just go straight".
I may be wrong on some of this though, I've only been doing it for about a year, my first strictly drag build is almost done.

SLABORDE
11-08-2011, 11:12 AM
ON MY DRAG 400EX I CLIPPED THE FRONT END, MEANING I GOT RID OF THE SHOCKS A-ARMS, ADDED A 8" SWING ARM, AND WHEELIE BAR ALL MADE OUT OF CHROMOLY. WHEN I CLIPPED THE FRONT END I WEIGHED IT AND IT WAS 80LBS. THE ENTIRE FRAME INCLUDING SWINGARM AND WHEELIE BAR WEIGHS 40LBS. YOU WANT YOUR ENGINE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FRONT AND REAR TIRES, THATS WHY YOU WANT TO LENGTHEN YOUR BIKE.