PDA

View Full Version : 88 Honda trx 350 foreman no spark

rideak49
07-09-2011, 02:53 AM
So I recently became a new Honda enthusiast so I went out and bought a 88 Honda trx 350 Foreman for 600 bucks. The previous owner drove it into a lake and now it has no spark. Anyways, I took it home and tested the stator, ignition coil, changed spark plug, everything that I can think of that has to do with spark works. I have two CDI boxs and ethier one that is plugged in dosn;t change anything. But one day it decided to gain spark and it started. I ran i ran it around and it ran great. Next day, i started it and it would idle as if i had the throttle pinned. So I took the carb out and gave it a good clean. The thing was sooooooo dirty, i then drained the gas tank and wouldn't ya know it, rust... so i changed the fuel filter as well and that was gross too. I put everything back together and now i don't have spark again. the fuil pump makes a prrrrrr noise now. I assume its because its not getting enough fuel because the fuel filter i had was just one i had laying around. (it was late so i couldn't go pick one up) The fuel pump will prrrr until i touch the two wires coming from it or if i turn the key off. I don't really feel like waiting to get lucky again and have it magically start, id really like to find the problem. I still need to line the gas tank with some liner and change the fuel lines but i don't think that will have anything to do with spark. Will having the wrong spark plug loose spark? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm running out of ideas on this one.

Thanks

number52
07-10-2011, 03:39 PM
The black with white stripe wire going to the cdi shouldn't be grounded. If it is then you have a problem with your kill switch. Then I would check all the wires going to the cdi and 1 of them should be grounded. I believe this is a dc system so you should also have an all time power wire also going to the cdi. Let me know. If these are correct I'll have you start checking the stator and pickup wires

rideak49
07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Well its running again. After tingering with it for hours my little brother walks in takes the CDI box from its rubber holder and lightly tapes it with a rock and then let it tangle there and it started up. So i'm assuming loose wire or CDI box is just messed up. Anyways my biggist concern right now is that my carb is still acting like the throttle is pinned. i cleaned it out. it was pretty dirty. I'm familiar with crabs from snowmachines so i know what everything does and usually when my floats go bad in my snowmachine carbs they just flood and bog down instead of the idle shooting up. so i don't think its the float. Could the choke be messed up, like its letting fuel go past that o-ring? I'll try replacing the o-ring before i dismantle the carb again but if you got any knowledge of a high pinned carb that be awesome. oh ya and my throttle cable is fine, sits were it should and dosn't have any play in it or anything. And thanks for the reply Number52. Starting to think this forum website was a bust.

number52
07-11-2011, 04:46 PM
First I'd check for an air leak between the carburetor and intake then I'd make sure that your slide isn't stuck open in the carburetor.

rideak49
07-12-2011, 12:18 PM
From what I can tell theres no air leak and the carb is clean and functional. This thing is really kicken my butt. When it starts it idles normally for a few seconds and then it builds and then it wont come back down unless i leave it at half choke. my next thought is maybe the o-ring on the choke is letting gas run past it. Any thoughts?

rideak49
07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Okay, my Dad figured it out. the throttle valves were not adjusted right or something, i don't know the whole story yet but when i get off work i'll repost the solution for anybody else runs across this issue