PDA

View Full Version : Need Clutch help and parts

BULLET99Z28
07-09-2011, 02:28 AM
Well I decided to inspect the clutch parts in my motor before I paint it and put it my bike I'm building and discoverd I need some new parts.

I believe the motor is an 86, and I am going to do the 89 Upgrade kit. I need a new basket, and think I'm going with the Performance Engineering basket. Do I need to do any custom work to make it work? I've seen where the Hinson requires some type of grinding/beveling to make it work. What do all of you recomend-Hinson, P.E., Barnett?

Fibers- what is prefered-OEM, EBC, etc. the fingers on the edges are grooved, as well as the basket.

Wanted to Buy- Inner Hub- somehow it broke when loosening the nut. If anybody has some good OEM fibers I'll take them to.

Thanks guys

Pumashine
07-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Redred55 has some complete clutch baskets for $90. They are on page 4 in the classifieds.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=468680

latheboy
07-09-2011, 09:35 PM
I may be wrong but,
I think the grinding or beveling of the balencer drive gear that is sometimes required to get a hinson basket to work is because of how far the balencer gear slides onto the crankshaft splines. I had to grind relief on mine, and I have a hot rods crank. Some cranks may have more or less length of spline. Also, i hear if you have a later year balencer gear it will work without grinding.

dtek01
07-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes if the basket is anything like the Hinson you WILL have to bevel the gear on the 86-87. Otherwise it will grind and ruin the new basket and send metal in the crankcase.

I have a Duncan Racing beveled one I can sell you if you need one.