PDA

View Full Version : Engine rapping/ticking/knockin......HELP!! This aint no typical noise

jonnyroy28
07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Ok here is whats going on.... I just changed the oil before riding the other day, filter and oil looked great, I change it every time I race so I'm always looking for metal and what not but everything looked good. Went out and practiced and was noticing there was a little ticking noise, didn't sound very loud but I could tell and the big had no lose for power and always still started up first kick as always. (P.S. I have a full race built JANSSEN motor so its got all the bells n whistles) Anyhow I was gonna take it for a ride today but figured I'd start it up before leaving. The noise sounded a little more prominent and up front of the motor so I decided to check valves, all valves were correct in specs .011 and .006....Being curious I checked my water pump, there was a little play but from what I've been told they do have a little but I'm replacing all of it anyhow. Now I'm checking cam chain and tensioner...tensioner seems to be working correctly and the chain has no binding and flows free when u shake it. Again I pulled my most recent oil filter, no material in it so I feel good about my lower end. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS???? I know since having a big webcam and 13.5-1 piston in it, it will have sum noise but this is a new noise.......Anyone wanna help??? Haha Thanks ahead of time if you can!

fomospede
07-09-2011, 12:54 AM
i had a knock similar to what you are explaining
it was the exhaust follower bearings where shot

DnB_racing
07-09-2011, 07:12 AM
sometimes a exhaust leak in the front squish gasket will sound like a tick,
or depending on the cam it could be the valve springs are binding ,

also make sure that your timing is on if not your valves could piston be hitting