PDA

View Full Version : Leager Style balljoints on LSR

Evan
02-21-2003, 11:29 PM
Will the laeger style balljoints fit on the LSR arms? The LSR balljoints thread into the arms where as the Laeger are held in by a nut and can u can change the camber without taking the balljoint out of the spindle. I am thinking of changing mine if it will work. Anyone done this?

bongwater200
02-22-2003, 06:46 AM
The new Laeger joints will not work in the LSR arms without significant modifications.

You should not adjust camber with the bottom joint. Always leave the bottom joint all the way into the bottom arm. Moving the bottom joint outward makes the joint much more likely to bend or break.

Evan
02-22-2003, 01:28 PM
this is the kind i want to put on there, I dunno if they are new style or old style.

James70214
02-22-2003, 02:15 PM
No they won't the lsr is a bigger ball joint that the Laeger.

Evan
02-22-2003, 02:22 PM
I know, thats why I think it will work. See, the LSR balljoints are larger, and they thread into the arm itself. The laeger are smaller, but they do not use threads in the arm, they are merely in there, and to keep from moving, they have a nut on the end as u see in the pic

James70214
02-22-2003, 03:21 PM
But by putting the smaller balljoints in there you might ruin the thread so you would have trouble later if you wanted to use LSR joints again. Also since the shank on the laeger is smaller you might have play in the a a rm

Evan
02-22-2003, 03:31 PM
well the leagers style have threads to, just slightly larger than the diameter of the shank on the balljoint. If I convert, I dont plan on going back. The nut on the end will keep it tight so there shouldnt be any play. I am wondering what the size difference in the 2 is.

Teufel
02-22-2003, 06:29 PM
I am not sure what the LSR balljoints are off of, but Laeger uses balljoints off of the Yamaha Warrior; except on the protrax front end ,of course.
I have both the LSR and the Laeger front ends my 250R , but I still can't answer the question.

bongwater200
02-22-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by X-Rider
this is the kind i want to put on there, I dunno if they are new style or old style.

Those are the old style joints. The new ones are smooth on the OD and are threaded on the ID. The new Laeger joints are pretty slick. They have very good misalignment. ( which means that they can handle more travel )

stocktires
02-23-2003, 01:34 AM
Do NOT buy the old style laeger's!
I bought them for my lsr style ball-jointed Sundahl a-arms.
They are MUCH smaller! I had to return them :(
The shank is much larger on the LSR (the laeger is 14mm, and I can remember what my lsr's are)
Evan, just buy the LSR ball-joints, even though they are more $

Evan
02-23-2003, 01:51 AM
that sucks, I hate the LSR balljoints. Im gonna measure my LSR tomorrow and see what they are.

MillerTime
02-23-2003, 05:36 AM
This is what I would do, Bring your uper a-arm, to a machine shop and have them bore out the threads and press a sleave or bushing in place of the threads, have the I.D of the sleave the same as the OD of the leager balljoint shaft. this will eliminate any slop in the balljoint, also your balljoint will be inline with your a-arm. or remove the threads in the a-arm and just use your lsr balljoints, that way you don't have to buy new ones.

stocktires
02-23-2003, 10:25 AM
why would ya wana go through all that trouble just to get weaker ball-joints?
evan, are your lsr arms threaded where the ball-joints go in?
Mine arent...

Evan
02-23-2003, 02:10 PM
weaker? I didnt know they were weaker. I really only want just the top ones. Why? Because I will be able to adjust the camber without taking the ball joint out of the spindle. And the dustcover system is sealed where as the LSRs isnt. Yes my LSR threads into the a-arm and its kept from turning by one nut. Heres the best pic I have of them.