PDA

View Full Version : Air Box Help

FL-R
07-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I have a 38 A/S on my bike with the ESR airbox eliminator kit, Hatted the air filter set up from day 1. Im wanting to start racing Harescrambles and im looking at buyin a Alum- airbox off Fleabay. What boot do yall use to go from the box to the carb. The stock one wouldnt fit. Any ideas or anyone selling something that will work. Thanks

JM317
07-08-2011, 06:44 AM
LT500 Quadzilla boot, I think someone on ebay sells that setup all the time.

D Bergstrom
07-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Which aluminum airbox do you have? If it is a 250R box, the stock boot should work. I have a CFM airbox on my 250R, my stock boot mounted up with no problems. I also have a 38 airstryker carb, just had to stretch the one end around the carb.

Doug

JM317
07-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
Which aluminum airbox do you have? If it is a 250R box, the stock boot should work. I have a CFM airbox on my 250R, my stock boot mounted up with no problems. I also have a 38 airstryker carb, just had to stretch the one end around the carb.

Doug

Hey Doug, is the CFM airbox bottom shorter than the stock airbox? I'm looking for one that gives more clearance for a shock with increased travel so it doesn't hit the swingarm when fully compressed. I've got an 86 shock with long travel mods and plan on using 86 link on 88 stock swingarm.

FL-R
07-08-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't have any air box.. just a filter off the back of the Carb. And I was looking at the UM one on eBay... I just wondered what everyone did to getting the factory boot over the 38mm..

JM317
07-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by FL-R
I don't have any air box.. just a filter off the back of the Carb. And I was looking at the UM one on eBay... I just wondered what everyone did to getting the factory boot over the 38mm..

Take the boot and boil it in hot water, take it off and work it onto the carb and let it cool. Should work unless your boot is old and brittle.

D Bergstrom
07-08-2011, 06:35 PM
JM317,

The CFM airbox doesn't hang down quite as low in the front, but the middle is about the same. Just depends on where your swingarm hits the airbox. I bought it for the same reason you are thinking, wanted to let the swingarm travel up more. In my case, the linkage mount on my 86 oem swingarm was the first thing to hit the stock airbox, and it also the first thing to hit the CFM airbox and it hit at about the same place in the travel. In my case, I just shortened up the tabs on the linkage mount and gained about an inch of uptravel, nothing else on the swingarm hit. Look to see what is hitting on your swingarm and let me know, I can look at the airbox to see if it is any different in that area compared to stock. The CFM airbox is well made, so even if you did buy one, you will have a nice airbox anyways.

Doug

askmd
07-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Hey, I was about to put an ESR airbox eliminator on my 86 350 so what did you hate about it?

sand_blaster
07-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by askmd
Hey, I was about to put an ESR airbox eliminator on my 86 350 so what did you hate about it?
That its a pain in the rear to install.

FL-R
07-17-2011, 12:13 PM
The tube hits the shock so you have to "massage" it to fit.. the filter hangs in the open and fro trails with water its no good.. and when coming of big landings the chain eats the filter. And the k&n hates sugar sand.