PDA

View Full Version : What Parts ~ Builders ~ Advice do YOU got?

Jrider92
07-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I am thinking of buying a trx 450r for my next mx race quad...I have done a lot of research and gathering up all the help everyones given me...

What I decided is a Kickstart for sure, an 06+ ( its looking like an 08 maybe )

I am going to be calling Baldwin motorsports and JB racing see what they can do to help me out, I wanna put top of the line parts in er...I got a rough idea of some of the parts I want, What are some of the best ones you can suggest or any advice of some sort... Thanks everyone

400exHondaRider
07-07-2011, 08:14 PM
walsh a arms
fox float evol front shocks
fox podium rear
walsh savior swinger
dasa exhaust
lonestar axcalibar axle
walsh subframe
walsh gusset kit
walsh stem
get baldwin or dasa to do all of your motorwork, maybe a crf head, stage 2 hotcam, port and polish,
(the most motor work you can get for the money)
get a good filter
get your carb adjusted and set up
04/05 spindles
fast flexx bars
comfortable seat
get some good tires imo rzr mx
and from there its mostly visual good luck and if your doing mx you need to be at least 50 wide.

mx Eli
07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
50 inch is the MAX you can be. also motor work depends, if this is your first race quad and you are newish to racing I would say a cam, good system, and air cleaner is a good set up. dasa and baldwin maybe be the most well known but your gana pay some big cash and wait a long time for you stuff to get done. I could recommend a couple guys if you want, just pm me. I believe pep shock are better for honda's the fox. floats have to much body roll on the trx and if your light like me 160 or less its hard to get your ride hieght set and have enough air to keep her from bottoming.

Flexx bars are nice but pricey and not required.

I have never had good traction with rzr mx's. I run rzr cross fronts and mxr6 rears

Walsh stuff is top notch so look in that direction, nate is a great guy

Jrider92
07-07-2011, 08:54 PM
How much would that build list with all the walsh stuff and that in it cost roughly?

400exHondaRider
07-07-2011, 08:59 PM
with mx eli's good suggestions you are prolly looking at around idk say 2-3 grand.

if you go all out and do all walsh fox or some other big suspension brand with all the things i listed your looking at around 8-9 grand if not more. like eli said tho if this is your first season i would do the little things ie ehaust filter cam, and get suspension and tires and practice and practice some more,

mx Eli
07-07-2011, 09:27 PM
To be honest walsh stuff is not required to win races, I win on janssen stuff. building something I would buy walsh though. With a all walsh pep suspension your looking at spending about 6500. thats TOP quality parts and best pep shocks, but yet not including a walsh lowering kit or anything like that. Thats why I buy my quads used, even if you have to rebuild shocks to your weight you come out with wayy more cash to spend on fuel for travel

Balaz_73*00
07-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Buy my buddies quad

http://exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=468407

Kovatch
07-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Baldwin is the man on Honda. You will get 100 posts to go to Moto-xperts, Rage, Dasa, etc. Everyone has their opinions, but Baldwin knows Honda!! You can get everything through Baldwin for your Honda. JB stuff is nice, the TRX/LTR front end is amazing & corners like you wouldn't believe. You can get 8 clicker PEPs & LT JB a-arms for about $1000 cheaper than the PB-1 TRX/LTR setup & it will be just fine for MX.

Walsh makes some nasty (good) stuff. Definitely top quality, but you don't need to spend $1500 on a-arms if you can get a set for $800ish. Are you that good of a rider where you need top notch right off the bat? You make the decision.

Get a port work, cam, hi comp piston, air filter, Vortex through Baldwin & it will be screaming fast & keep up with your skill level for a long time. You will not be upset. I promise.

scotturban
07-08-2011, 12:18 PM
i'd do a motoxperts motor, just look how many holeshots they have pulled in pro am production mx class, all but like 2??? Really nice people also, hard to beat

Jrider92
07-08-2011, 06:11 PM
How good are these shocks compared to fox floats?

What arms, front-back, shock system do you guys prefer and why?

scotturban
07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
my opinion is I would do, your choice jb, walsh, or atv fourplay a arms, and for shocks Id do, pep pb1's, motowoz, or third choice fox floats,

the foxes are nice, thats what we run, but I do feel that they have a little more body roll then the spring shocks

Jrider92
07-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Right on man, what you mean by body roll?

ridehonda400ex
07-09-2011, 03:56 AM
When your going into the corner and the quad like slide instead of grabbing and making the turn. Its when your shocks are too soft, at least thats when I experience it.

spanky101
07-09-2011, 05:08 AM
All the parts mentioned in this head are all nice parts but what is your skill level and plans for racing? Are you racing nationals or just local events? I ask because imo they are two different levels of necessity to be comparative. More then likely in locals you'd be fine with a good suspension and then minor motor miss like cam, exhaust and intake. You ain't need a super high dollar motor build to run and be competitive depending upon class and what series your running. I have found if you spend the money your going to spend on the motor build for suspension and seat time it will be far more beneficial then just having a super fast bike. But if I was building a bike I would use either atv four play suspension components with their new ltr spindle front end or know with the same ltr spindle design. Tom at atv four play is very nice and super helpful, give him a call and ask about stuff and he has always been very very helpful to me.

Jrider92
07-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Canada Nationals

mx Eli
07-09-2011, 10:32 PM
body roll is the feeling like your going to tip over when driving hard into a turn, the quad feels like its going to "roll over" to the opposite direction your turning

motofreak2772
07-10-2011, 12:29 AM
The big question is how much are you looking to spend?

Jrider92
07-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I want to buy a complete trx 450r and a frame....Make minor upgrades to the complete one...for a practice backup quad, and then have the frame build from the ground up to my liking.. Thinking maybe less then 7 grand for the completed one and less then 11 grand for my race quad

Jrider92
07-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Its hard to say though maybe I should just build 2 of the exact same quads for a price in between that, How much would a build using some of the top of the line parts from baldwin and jb racing cost?

spanky101
07-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Id consider trying to find a bike already built as your practice bike atleast. It'll be far cheaper and you can still rebuild it to be completely fresh

Kovatch
07-11-2011, 09:19 AM
You could easily spend close to 5-8k, even close to $12-14k on shocks, a-arms, axle, full motorwork. I'm not Baldwin, so I cannot speak on his behalf regarding pricing. I think the big clicker PEPs are nice & have been top of the line for many many years. PB-1s are even better but cost more too. The big clickers can always be upgraded to PB-1s down the road if you feel the need.

Most pro's will have a practice bike that is similar to their racer with regard to suspension/geometry etc, but the motor isn't the same as the race bike. You want your practice bike to be fast & handle the same, but you do not need ALL the upgrades that your race bike has. Practice bike = ride & get/stay in shape. Race bike = freak of nature to stomp competition.

Why noy buy one that's already built and just freshened up? I know of few National level bikes for sale right now. $7k on parts + the cost of the bike = $11+k or buy one built?

Jrider92
07-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks Kovatch, hook me up with some trx 450r`s for sale that I should check out

Balaz_73*00
07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I posted a decked out one with all the walsh stuff your dreaming about

racerx573
07-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Buy used stuff, it's much more worth it to get used and refurbish it.

I built a bike using top of the line stuff for under $7500.

Laeger's Pro Trax (used)
Walsh Savior (used)
Axis titanium PRS triple adjust front and rear. (used, then rebuilt by Axis)
RPM Axle - the only way to go (brand new on ebay for 50% off)
Douglas billet bead locks (used)
Razr MX (bought new)
Walsh Stem (used)
Sparks Pipe (used - repacked and put a new badge on it and polished it)
HRC Cam (installed on the bike when I got it)
UNI Filter (on the bike when I got it)
FCR Carb (used)
13:1 JE Piston (new)
Billet Carrier (new $100 from ECA)
SF Racing Hood (new)
Graphics & Seat Cover (new)
Brake lines (new)

The big parts aren't worth buying new.

I've built brand new bikes before, and the $7500 ones are just as good as the bikes I've spent $25,000 on.

Kovatch
07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Jrider92 - PM sent.

motofreak2772
07-12-2011, 10:15 PM
If you want to buy a practice bike then build a race bike, try to find one with most of the stuff you want already on it. It would probably be a smart idea to try and have the exact same setup on both quads. Obviously you probably won't find one with everything you want, but I think sticking with the same suspension is important. So just research the different brands and make a decision on shocks and a-arms then look for a quad with those things.

hondarider421
07-13-2011, 01:24 AM
i have a mx 450r has ported head decked 60 off kibble white valves houser a arms with stadium hi low com adj and rebound adj fronts revalved rear custom powder coat and hump seat and alot of other stuff walsh is great but any well known suspension company will be great as long as ur shocks work also for most power deck the head wit a stg two cam and u build a monster and its cheap 50-60 bucks and its a good compression booster buying a used quad and freshning it to ur likeing is easiest imo but hey some ppl like building there own i know i do