PDA

View Full Version : rear end clank

goldfish
07-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with a mid to rear clanking noise with their YFZ's?

I have the 2010 YFZ450-X and do have full PRM skids on it, all the bolts on the skids are tightened down and there's no play or wobble. Chain also appears to have good tension with no excess slack.

The noise is definitely a metal on metal clanking noise that occurs mainly when accelerating low in a gear.

Any thoughts?

yfm250rider
07-07-2011, 06:58 PM
bearings good? carrier maybe

Vampire2800
07-20-2011, 10:36 PM
My wife had a similar situation on her raptor. Turns out the rear axle bearing race was damaged & a couple of the bearings were loose. New race & bearing was all the medicine needed to get it back to like-new.

Kovatch
07-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Any teeth missing on the sprockets? Check the lower chain roller and the swing arm guard. They may be worn/missing...?

goldfish
07-21-2011, 09:35 AM
whoops forgot I had posted this thread.

Bearings are good, sprockets are good. The chain rollers are also intact.

On our most recent riding trip I got some of it on video..

http://www.youtube.com/user/SamsCreekRiders#p/u/0/t5nGWIW-rJk

it happens between :57 and :59

I guess really its almost more of a rattle/clank then just a clank.

It also ONLY does it when I'm on the gas. If it's rattling and I let off it is instantly gone.

BakerRacing40
07-21-2011, 03:02 PM
hmm... do you have a swing arm skid? chain tight? on a yfz the chain gets looser when suspension is compressed, so my thinking is maybe your getting some chain slap under a load?

goldfish
07-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
hmm... do you have a swing arm skid? chain tight? on a yfz the chain gets looser when suspension is compressed, so my thinking is maybe your getting some chain slap under a load?

I had a few people looking at it during that trip and that's kinda what we decided it must be. The chain feels like It's a good tension when It's just sitting there. Any ideas to stop it from slapping?

BakerRacing40
07-21-2011, 06:37 PM
well if you hear the noise constantly through out your ride, if so and it was me, i'd take a ratchet strap and go from the swing arm to the grab bar and start compressing the suspension and then adjust the chain tight. this will severly over tighten your chain after you take the strap off. then go for a ride and see what it does.

or you could pull your skid plate off and make sure your chain adjustment is okay and see what it does..

also you might take the rear sprocket off and by hand pull your chain around the front sprocket and see if it kinks up after it tracks off the front sprocket, if it is and the links are hard to unkink by hand, your chain might be binding up and the popping back..

just a few ideas to toss around...

btw, i just had a funny feeling, please don't have the engine running while playing with your chain... lol

goldfish
07-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
well if you hear the noise constantly through out your ride, if so and it was me, i'd take a ratchet strap and go from the swing arm to the grab bar and start compressing the suspension and then adjust the chain tight. this will severly over tighten your chain after you take the strap off. then go for a ride and see what it does.

or you could pull your skid plate off and make sure your chain adjustment is okay and see what it does..

also you might take the rear sprocket off and by hand pull your chain around the front sprocket and see if it kinks up after it tracks off the front sprocket, if it is and the links are hard to unkink by hand, your chain might be binding up and the popping back..

just a few ideas to toss around...

btw, i just had a funny feeling, please don't have the engine running while playing with your chain... lol

Haha yea don't worry I will make sure It's off before playing with the chain. Not trying to lose any fingers!

I wouldn't say It's the entire ride. Maybe from starting to 3/4 through the gear.

I'll try the things you suggested thus weekend and let you know