PDA

View Full Version : Banshee shock swap

Rohr397
07-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I have a 1987 Banshee with the J-arm setup in the front. I was wondering if it was possible to put Yfz450 front shocks on with the J-arm setup because I know that it works for the A-arm setup, however the J-arm sits very close to the stock shock already and the diameter of the Yfz450 shock is larger than the diameter of the Banshee shock. Additionally is there any way to add a better rear shock without going aftermarket? And where could I find extended J-arms? Finally I'd like to know if anyone has any cool tricks or mods out there for improving their Banshee, I need some ideas for making this '87 look beautiful. Thanks!

Hondamaster5505
07-07-2011, 05:48 PM
J-arm <3

I can't help much as far as the front shock question, but I don't care for the way the YFZ shocks perform on the banshee's. You can find used Works shocks fairly cheap. I love my triple rates, and I picked them up for $150 if I remember correctly.

For the rear shock, they're already fully adjustable. So many people just send out the stock one to get resprung/valved for their weight and riding type, and it's almost as good as an aftermarket shock.

Stellar still make's J-arms, as do 1 or 2 other companies that I can't remember off hand. Only problem is, they're pretty pricey. Scour bansheeHQ and other Yamaha/banshee sites and maybe you can find a used set. That's how I picked up my oldschool Lonestars.

Hondamaster5505
07-07-2011, 05:49 PM
By the way, I love your signature. Haha.

Rohr397
07-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely be lookin around for anything I can find. Somehow my mom ended up with the '03 Banshee sitting on a stock swingarm with a +2 +1 a-arm set-up and works triple rates even though she only rides the dunes and I ended up with the stretched, chromed up '87 sitting on a plus +4 swingarm and the shocks are set up for draggin and climbing, yet I ride desert and MX, was even going to race my Yfz but the funding got cut so I ended up on a Banshee. And thanks for the complement, I've always owned Yamaha's, minus my old Trx450r, and I've never had a bad experience. Although I gotta say, I really do miss my Trx, never knew I had it so good till I sold it, but with well over very very hard 400 hours on an almost stock machine it was time to get rid of it.

Hondamaster5505
07-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Yamaha's always been my favorite brand. My family has owned quite a few of them and not one of them has given us any major issues.

I do like Honda too. My 400ex took a beating and never missed a beat. I just don't like them as much as Yamaha.

If you have an fabrication skills, you should modify the front end to be like the Lonestar frame. Narrow rails up front. That's what really holds back the banshee's as far as MX suspension goes, the front end geometry.

Rohr397
07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
I have a little bit of skill with welding but not a lot, however I've got two family friends that are professional fabricators and they would probably be willing to help. What would I change exactly, I think I know what you're saying but I'm not 100% sure.

I'd love to do this because I want to get into the R&D field of aftermarket racing parts.

Hondamaster5505
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
There's pictures in the last couple pages of the front end fabricated (just the frame part) and then unfortunately this member no longer goes on the forums so no one knows where this project ended up.

I would love to tackle it myself.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75316

Hondamaster5505
07-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Main pictures are on 29, and CAD drawings of the a-arm brackets he was going to use are on the bottom of 30.