PDA

View Full Version : Slipper Sprockets on 50cc's

JustinBoots
07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Running a mildly modified 50cc DRR and wondering how many of you are running slipper sprockets vs. not. I've been running one up till now, but another racer I compete against is not and has no issues despite his bike being wicked fast. Just thinking about eliminating a potential slippage, but weighing the risks of blowing a tranny. My son only weighs 45lbs so its not like he's really hitting hard on his landings.

rebuiltoz
07-07-2011, 01:57 PM
We run one on our 50 mod....I would suggest staying with it. Knock on wood we haven't broke a tranny or a set of cases since we have been running it. Is the other guy running a slipper clutch? Can't imagine not running one or the other....well good luck if you decide to pull the slipper

mcwilly
07-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I say stick with the slipper sprocket. Chances are, your buddy is running a slipper clutch if he's not running a slipper sprocket.
We ran ONE time without a slipper sprocket and on our 50 (stock) and broke a trans gear during practice after landing the finish line jump. And that was with the hardened gears.

JustinBoots
07-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Other guy is my buddy and I've seen everything he's running and he's not running a slipper clutch either. He must just be getting lucky. Think I'll be putting the slipper sprocket back on because I'm nervous just watching him practice here at the house.

rebuiltoz
07-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Sounds lucky to me.....broken gears usually means broken cases....better safe than sorry

coffing918
07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
wow LUCKY indeed we run a slipper clutch and still broke gears,,

selbygirl
07-08-2011, 01:35 PM
WE BIN RUNNIG SLIPPER SPROCKETS FOR OVER 3 YEARS NOW.. AND ONLY BROKE 2 SETS OF GEARS,, I THINK THE REASON I BROKE THEM WAS MY CHAIN WAS TO TIGHT, NOW WE RUN IT REAL LOSE AND CRANK A LOT OF PRESURE ON THE CHAIN TESIONER,, AND AFTER EVERY MOTO OR PRACTICE TORQUE THE SPROKET,,, AND KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR NEEDLE BEARINGS IN THE TRANNY

EthansDad
07-08-2011, 02:30 PM
on the 50s, hand down for me, slipper sprocket is a must. we run at 95 ft lbs and haven't had a tranny issue in years. my kid is big at 70+ lbs for 7yrs old and DOES NOT lift the throttle in the air.

I've seen the slipper clutch, and although it looks like maybe a better "mouse trap", its too much extra spinning mass for how we run our 50s (13k+ rpms), so even if we start breaking tranny gears, we are sticking with the slipper sprocket.

I do torque the slipper EVERY moto (like every 4 laps, or 4+ times a race weekend) and have never had a slipping issue either. maybe I'm lucky, or maybe it just works.

-EA

JustinBoots
07-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah I've decided to go back with the slipper sprocket.

rmuscle
07-14-2011, 06:02 PM
run one on my 50 limited and 50 mod , stole the one off my likited when i first built our mod , while i was waiting for a new one threw aregular sproket on the limited , he went out to practice and broke three sets of gears in one day . stick with the slipper , we toruqe are s after every moto

JustinBoots
07-15-2011, 05:16 PM
I put it back on there. :)