PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lube???????????

300exTJjeeper
02-21-2003, 11:09 PM
CHain Lube what is so hot about it.
Well I'm new atv got a 03 300ex and I lube my chain with 80-90wt. Is CHain Lube really worth the money for it. RIght now I run a stock chain but eventully I will be running DID chains proably in about 4 months.

Is the Lube better on the chain than what I have on my shelfs???

Help Me out here,.

JsnEX
02-21-2003, 11:13 PM
White Lithium Grease in the spray can is supposed to be really good. You can get it at AutoZone.

AtvMxRider
02-22-2003, 05:43 AM
Just use wd-40.

trailburner
02-22-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by JsnEX
White Lithium Grease in the spray can is supposed to be really good. You can get it at AutoZone.
That's what I use works great,what do you think the chain comes covered in when you buy one new???

DGR Designs
02-22-2003, 06:04 AM
i only use motul offroad chain lube. its bright green and sinks right into teh chain works great and doesnt go flying off

DEAL
02-22-2003, 09:07 AM
That green stuff is junk , it flings off the chain and turns everything green , Sparkles had it before, I use Chain wax , I'm not happy with it though. When i go to buy some new lube I'm going to try something diffrent.

luvmyex
02-23-2003, 08:54 AM
wd-40 all you need to do is keep the orins lubed.it also keeps it from rusting and its clean.

Hardcore Icon
02-23-2003, 01:14 PM
The Icon has used PJ1 for years on his machines chain and is happy with it. PJ1 very sticky stuff, so it doesn't just fling off the chain right away like some other oils might (WD-40 or motor oil).

It's in a blue can and it lasts quite a while.

Be cool,

Icon

Rip_Tear
02-23-2003, 01:35 PM
WD-40 will kill your chain... It eats the o-rings....

cheetah
02-23-2003, 07:13 PM
If you have a regular chain, wd-40 will be fine, but don't use it on an o-ring chain. I use Maxima Chain Wax and it has been really good stuff.

Rip_Tear
02-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Well the stock chain is an O-ring chain, so.... I dont know about the rest of you but why wouldn't you have an O-ring chain?(real question, sorry if it sounds sarcastic)

Hardcore Icon
02-23-2003, 08:05 PM
There is no reason not to buy an o ring chain, unless you ride a mini ATV or something.

For a full size ATV buying an o ring chain in the only good choice to make. A non-o ring chain is a little cheaper, but it won't last nearly as long as a good o-ring chain.

Be cool,

Icon

AtvMxRider
02-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear

No it doesn't!:rolleyes:

luvmyex
02-23-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Thats funny cause the links wore slam out but the O-rings were still in good shape.Thats after 1 1/2 years of riding very Sat and Sun.

300exTJjeeper
02-23-2003, 09:34 PM
THanks guys for the comments and suggestions. I might try that PJ1 stuff instead of 80-90 that is what I use right now. Also I was reading about o ring and no o ring chains.

I see that 0 ring chains last longer on full size ATV's but may I ask why, I just like to know this stuff makes me feel smarter, hheheh

I hate using 80-90 because it just slings right the hell off and drips all over my trailer and in the garage. But I'll try some of that other stuff next week.

That is funny about WD-40 I read a while back that it is not good for the o rings. But people still use it. Last weekened a went riding with a buddy of mine and at night he busted out his can of WD 40 and started spraying the hell out of his chain. I told him that's not good for the chains. THe next day busted chain on his bike. hehe

Just thought I share that with you guys.
Ounce again Thanks for the Info

-=Skot=-
02-23-2003, 10:38 PM
here's what i use, and i like it alot, does not fly off and make a mess everywhere

DEAL
02-23-2003, 11:01 PM
^ Thats the stuff I'm buying next , I've seen you guys use it and it looks like it works awesome, Alot better than that chain wax crap.

-=Skot=-
02-23-2003, 11:41 PM
oh it does andrew, i'll never use anything else ;)

Live2Ride300
02-24-2003, 08:45 AM
Right now im using PJ-1, works pretty well I think, I also like Klotz, and chain wax

Hardcore Icon
02-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 300exTJjeeper
THanks guys for the comments and suggestions. I might try that PJ1 stuff instead of 80-90 that is what I use right now. Also I was reading about o ring and no o ring chains.

I see that 0 ring chains last longer on full size ATV's but may I ask why, I just like to know this stuff makes me feel smarter, hheheh

I hate using 80-90 because it just slings right the hell off and drips all over my trailer and in the garage. But I'll try some of that other stuff next week.

That is funny about WD-40 I read a while back that it is not good for the o rings. But people still use it. Last weekened a went riding with a buddy of mine and at night he busted out his can of WD 40 and started spraying the hell out of his chain. I told him that's not good for the chains. THe next day busted chain on his bike. hehe

Just thought I share that with you guys.
Ounce again Thanks for the Info

THe PJ1 is really good stuff. The Icon would recommend it highly. Ride around for a couple minutes to warm up the chain first, then spray it on. Warming the chain up will make it soak in better. After spraying it wait about 5 minutes or so to let it really soak in, then take off and ride!

It won't fling off like the oil you are using now.

The reason that o ring chains last longer is because of the o rings. The o ring chain itself has grease sealed inside every little one of those pins, and it's the o rings that hold the grease in. A normal chain has no grease inside of it, so obviously it would wear out quicker.

Some of the mini ATV's don't really make that much power, so they don't necessaraly need an o ring chain (although the Icon would recommend it), but anything that is full size (300ex, 400ex, Blaster, ect) makes enough power that you will want the stronger o ring chain.

Hope that answers your questions.

Be cool,

Icon

300exTJjeeper
02-24-2003, 01:25 PM
THanks Icon, I feel smarter now, hehehhe,

But thanks for clearing the o rings up with me, and I'll buy can pf pj1 and do you instrucitons this weekened.

Proaby me out with the oil that sprays all over my fenders and drips on the trailer.

Thansk again.
Ride of Die

02Yellow400
02-27-2003, 09:08 PM
Yeah Bel-Ray works great thats all i use

300exTJjeeper
02-28-2003, 12:00 AM
I just bought some Pj-1 a couple days and put that sruff on, man that stuff is goord, Better than what I was using. I might try some other pj-1 products. does not fly off, sticks to the \chain and does not attract dirt, man,

THanks for the comments and suggestions. You guys are great.