PDA

View Full Version : Can't remove swingarm

Blazer25
07-06-2011, 01:53 PM
We found a crack in our daughter's swing arm. We are trying to take it off so that we can have it welded. We can't get the swingarm bolt out. It won't budge. The swing arm cracked over the center of the shaft where the swing arm bolt goes in, so the only thing I can think of is that the bolt bent when the swing arm cracked and it won't allow the bolt to pass through the bushing. We used a sledge hammer and got it to move, but now the bolt is flush with the frame so we can't hit on it anymore. How can I get it out? We tried using other "shaft shaped" items to hit it through, but it just bounces off the bolt when we hit it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Tyler01
07-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Ive herd people getting a torch and heating it and just try to bang it out with a hammer

Blazer25
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
We tried a sledge hammer. It pounded it in enough to where its flush with the frame now...and its wedged in there good.

EJ Racing 07
07-06-2011, 04:08 PM
If you wanted you could hammer it back, cut as much as you could of the threaded part off then hammer it back through, using a punch to get it as far as you could inside the swinger then cut as much off the other side. Then you should be able to tap it in far enough to remove the swinger from the bike after that it should be easier to handle, put it in a vice and give it all you got with a hammer and punch. Just an idea, good luck

greenmachine70
07-11-2011, 06:00 AM
its not bent its seized in there from water intrusion. Our blaster was the same way. Soak it with pb blaster and let it set for a while. I had to use a center punch right in the center of the bolt and a 3lb hammer to get mine out and believe me I had to hit it scary hard but it finally moved and came out. This is very common, need to remove the bolt and grease it a couple times a year more if you are getting in water.

838xcracer
07-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Just a thought. Our JB Racing swinger has a zerk in the middle so we can grease it when needed. It would be an easy job to put 1 in. Then this problem won't happen again.