PDA

View Full Version : Best YEAR of the TRX450r

Jrider92
07-05-2011, 06:38 PM
I am looking to build a new mx race quad thinking of going with the trx450r not sure what year...

I do not want electric start...Is the 04-05`s the only ones without electric start? I guess you could take it off and put a kickstart in right? Give me all the advice you can I want to mod it from the ground up.. I hear the 06+ can put out more power? is this true? Thanks everyone

Stiles86
07-05-2011, 07:01 PM
u can get all years with kicker.... 04/05 has a stronger bottom end and is a little more tourqy imo

DnB_racing
07-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Jrider92
I am looking to build a new mx race quad thinking of going with the trx450r not sure what year...

I do not want electric start...Is the 04-05`s the only ones without electric start? I guess you could take it off and put a kickstart in right? Give me all the advice you can I want to mod it from the ground up.. I hear the 06+ can put out more power? is this true? Thanks everyone http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=468974&highlight=best+year
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=420862&highlight=best+year
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=424023&highlight=best+year
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=432043&highlight=best+year
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445218&highlight=best+year

mx Eli
07-05-2011, 07:19 PM
not trying to be mean but use the search thing. it helps alot

kbass24emtp
07-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Jrider92

I do not want electric start...Is the 04-05`s the only ones without electric start? I guess you could take it off and put a kickstart in right? Give me all the advice you can I want to mod it from the ground up.. I hear the 06+ can put out more power? is this true? Thanks everyone

The 06+ put out more power stock, but you can get more HP out of a built 04-05. Plus the 04-05 has a better bottom end. I say get a 04-05, and get a kick start.

mx Eli
07-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I beg to differ on your opinion, the 06+ heads put out more power most ppl will back me up on that

DnB_racing
07-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
I beg to differ on your opinion, the 06+ heads put out more power most ppl will back me up on that also on the +06 you can put the crf head for some bolt on power

mx Eli
07-05-2011, 10:08 PM
^^^ yup its like a mild port job

Lquad71
07-05-2011, 10:24 PM
an 06 will put out more power when its slightly modded.but if your building it to the moon then an 05 motor will put out more power according to DASA. The 05 trani is bulletproof but if you have the money you can make the 06 just as good. the 05 spindles handle better.period. the 06 comes with a much snappier carb and the 05 comes with an easier more top end carb. with the right mods each carb can work on each bike. the 06 has a better swingarm(its 3/4 in. longer and can use long travel linkages like the dc-6)

so for buiilding an mx bike, i would prefer an 05 with:
fully built motor
06 carb and intake w/ box
06 swingarm

it all depends on your budget. what i have found wakes up the 05's in a hurry is a crf ignition and an 06 carb. that way you wont worry about the trani and already have great handling spindles.
the following is my opinion of the winners in certain areas---
low budget power:06
high budget power:either
low budget reliability:05
high budget reliability:05, but if you get ur trani done in the 06 then either.

and for anyone who says that you can make more power with an 06.....i went to glen helen last saturday and my friend who currently owns josh upperman's 2009 quad. he is one of PEP's dealers and he told me to ride it. so i took it out for a couple laps and the bottom end pull was noticable but not insane and almost unnoticably more top end. my bike's mods are in the sig. and when me and him went riding down straights he didnt pull on my bike. so either way, i dont think you will be down on power.

hope this helped

hondarider421
07-25-2011, 01:15 PM
get a 06 bolt on a crf top end it has bigger valves cams and ports and all bikes after so much work will be the same in power a built bike is a built bike

DnB_racing
07-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by hondarider421
get a 06 bolt on a crf top end it has bigger valves cams and ports and all bikes after so much work will be the same in power a built bike is a built bike I dont agree that all builds are equal!!!! it takes alot of skill and tuning to extract all the power that can be made... its much more then just bolting on parts

hondarider421
07-25-2011, 05:38 PM
i mean once all the tuneing is done right srry but if tuned right they all start to make the same power all ur 450 will end up around the same specially if ur running all trx or all yfz if its the same brand itll be diff things done but same range

ThumPIN_450R
07-27-2011, 11:16 PM
I have an 05 and an 06 both decently built. stock for stock on engine with an fcr it's close. the 05 has a baldwin head and is noticably faster than the 06 with the engine unmodded but that's kind of big no ****. reliability wise I have broken at least 5 cranks on the 05. 4 frozen lower rod bearing and on broken rod that left a nice hole in the front of my engine. I have also blown 2 transmissions. The 06 however has been abused for 3 seasons and I haven't so much as had the valve cover off of it.