PDA

View Full Version : car stereo questions

Lil90man!!
02-21-2003, 09:46 PM
ok i have a question i just wanna make sure on this i found a site with stereo crap on it. i was just lookin at a 4 channel kicker amp for like 350ish ok i get on this site and i find this
PYLE - PLA1040
Dual 5 LED Meters
High-Low Electronic Crossovers
Variable Bass Boost & Gain Control
Remote Turn On/Off
MOSFET PWM Power Supply
Soft Turn-On Circuit
High & Low Level Inputs
High Level Molex Inputs
Gold Plated RCA Input Jacks
Power On & Protection LEDS
S/N Ratio: 90db
Frequency Response: 20Hz-30kHz
Thermal Protection
Overload Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Dimensions: (WxHxL) 9.1" x 2.3" x 18"
1400 Watts Max Power Output
Vendor: Pyle
Model: PLA1040
Shipping: $20.00
Street price: $149.00
Our price: $119.19
now is this just me or does 119.19 seem a bit cheap for a 1400 watt amp :confused2 if it is true betcha its real good n lasts like 5 mins what do you guys think??????? plus its on a site http://autoronics.site.yahoo.net/index.html looks fairly good to me but ????:eek2:

Krazy Kid
02-21-2003, 09:58 PM
it depends on the company....it may b cheap but make sure its a brand name like pyle or kicker comp or infinty so u dont buy some look alike that blows......check out www.judysdeals.com they have really cheap products and i have bought 2 kickers and 2 infinities from them for very cheap and let me tell u they beat!!! :D

john308
02-21-2003, 10:00 PM
that sounds pretty shady to me. you usually get what you pay for. check www.crutchfield.com their prices aren't too bad and their warranty and return policy is really good.

-john

mysticfalcon
02-21-2003, 10:03 PM
crutchfeild is way overpriced. you should be able to get anything they have for 20% less localy i have always been able too. try www.justamps.com for amps or the just whatevers on tehir other sites ive got a lot of stuff from yoshi and hes a good guy to deal with

Giz400ex
02-22-2003, 09:31 AM
The reason why its so cheap is because it is NOT a 1400w amp!!! You have to read the actually RMS of the amp is (i think its the rms). If it was a real 1400w amp, you would be paying about $800-$1000 for it. Just some advice, if ya want subs?? Go with JL's, best bang you'll get!!

TheX1992
02-22-2003, 09:37 AM
www.cardiscountstereos.com cheapest place ive seen yet. street glow gold series = 139.99 vs. street glow price of almost 250-300. subs and amps real cheap too

nakomis0
02-22-2003, 09:51 AM
The amp is Pyle? Like Pyle Driver? I remember the nic name we use to call them, it was... Pyle of *****.:)

1400W peak is ussually about 700W rms.

If it is Pyle who makes it it will probably overheat alot and sound distorted.

Best prices I found on amps was on Ebay.

And in my opinion the best amps for the money are Rockford Fosgate for subs, and Kenwood for your highs and mids.

FourFiftyFour
02-22-2003, 11:02 AM
I got my whole system for only $320... I dont get stuff from online... I get stuff in person.. I got some audiobahns, legacy red series 2 amp, bass boost, wiring, tweeters, replacement speaker for the stock ones, box, and installation all just for $320... it was all new stuff also... id try to find some place where u can actually see what youre buyin.. i dont trust everything on the net

Dune Surfer
02-22-2003, 12:01 PM
You get what you pay for. My Precision power amp is only rated at about 230 watts and cost three times that. My JL sub amp is only 500 watts and cost $450. If they are telling you 1400 wats for that price the are pulling your leg. They can claim any # they want, it does not make it true. Spend a little $$$ for quality and you won't have to buy it again.;)

Giz400ex
02-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Perfectly said there, Dune Surfer!!

ChadEXer
02-24-2003, 08:46 AM
I used to compete in USAC and IASCA competitions all the time and have installed quite a few award winning sytems over the years!! I had 2 15's(all Rockford Fosgate equipment) in my old show car that beat 4 18's and even 8 12's in a competition! Everyone was absolutely amazed!! I have just put 4 12's(Audiobahn) in my truck that would make you think the world is about to come to an end when I turn them on!! There is no doubt that if you want the best, its Audiobahn or Rockford(they have gotten a little slow, but still one of the best) Look in any Car Audio magazine and I guarantee you Audiobahn is on the cover!!!
I wouldnt pay $50 for that amp If I was you!! Some dont know but the price you pay is usually per watt,,,the better brands even charge you more per watt. so if your lucky I would say that amp is maybe 50 watts per channel!!! Dont buy it!! Yes good equipment costs more but why buy the cheap stuff first, then decide it isnt good enough and have to buy better stuff later, just wait and buy the good stuff first so you dont waste any money!! Thats why you will see a 1400 peak power off brand amp cost half the price of a good brand amp that has 50 watts RMS per channel!! I used to have an old Autotek Stealth amp(one of the best ever made) in one of my sytems, it was a 1 channel amp rated at 50 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. Well I put DVC 12's on it to bring it down to 1 ohm(it was stable to 1 ohm) and put a wattage meter to it and it read 573 watts!!! So basically I was in the 50 watt class with an amp that was pushing over 500 watts,,,,you buy that cheap amp and your in the 1400 watt class with an amp that pushes 50 watts!!! Some people arent into car audio the way I was(to compete,,,or be heard for miles:D )but they just want some decent sounding tunes, either way get something good, even the good companies have entry level equipment that can be found at a very good price!! When I buy audio I would buy the best possible speaker(I probably spend more on 1 woofer then most spend on an entire system) and the best amps(s) and build my boxes to the exact specifications to the woofer, and use the best wires and connection hardware available!! I dont do anything the cheap way, but my end result will impress you, or make you deaf!!!!

gojk
02-24-2003, 12:51 PM
The easiest way to put it is that they rate it at 1400 watts at meltdown. The amp will be at like 25% THD and last about 2 secs at 1400watts. Most amps rate a like .05% THD and 12.5 V. That amp is porb rated at like 22V which a cars Alt will never put out.

Live2Ride300
02-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Chad what do you think of the Kicker Solo Baric L7's?

My friend has two 12"s and they pound awesome.

sylvan56473
02-24-2003, 01:15 PM
We used to say 1400watts WLS (when lightning strikes)

blondie69
02-24-2003, 01:21 PM
my brother got his for free. but its because it got stolen and he got insurance money. i know alota the stuff is alpine stuff and i can't remember it all. and he got the amplifer, subwoofer, cd player, and front speakers. i think he said its about 1000 watts though. and its REALLY bassy. like when u sit in the seats for about 5 min u start to go all tingly, lol

ChadEXer
02-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
Chad what do you think of the Kicker Solo Baric L7's?

My friend has two 12"s and they pound awesome.
Kicker makes some pretty nice audio equipment! My friend has quite a few of those solo barics in the bed of his Chevy with a cut out and it is pretty loud!!!

nakomis0
02-24-2003, 02:19 PM
A DuNk a DuNk, DuNk...:D

400exRacerX
02-24-2003, 02:21 PM
;)

QuadTrix6
02-24-2003, 02:52 PM
i roll with MTX in my truck hits plenty hard for me, beat out alotta rich kids ***** in my neighborhood:p

ChadEXer
02-24-2003, 03:31 PM
I used to have a few of the old MTX Blue Thunder 15's in one of my competition systems!! It was very loud too! MTX still makes some real nice stuff! The only bad thing about MTX is there entry level equipment is priced way too high, but there top of the line equipment is probably worth the price because its real nice stuff! Dont know why but i just havent see much MTX equipment at the competitions in the last year or 2,,,I used to see a few every time I went!! I also used to have 2 MTX 12's in my wifes old Explorer, and for 2 12's those things were awesome!! But I had them on my old Autotek Stealth amp too,,,,I blew a few out before I figured I couldnt have the amp turned all the way up!!:p

ChadEXer
02-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Right now I just have the mid-entry level Audiobahn equpment in my truck but I am in the process of getting a hard top bed cover and doing a cut through. I am going to put 4 Audiobahn Flame Series DVC 12's and one Audoibahn 1500(yes thats 1500 watts RMS) on each one of the speakers!! I will also have a Optima Deep Cycle and a Audiobahn 10 farad capacitor or there is no way the trucks elctrical system could keep up with 6000 Watts RMS!!! And with the DVC's(2 Ohm per voice coil)going to put a 1 ohm load on each one of the amps, that thing is going to rip!!! Gonna be so loud it will probably bust my windshield!!! After all custom work is done to the truck, and the system is professionally installed(by me of course)its gonna cost me around $6,000!

Jay300ex
02-24-2003, 03:57 PM
What kind of truck do you have Chad? Do you have any pix of your setup? Truck setups are always cool to look at, especially audiobahn! My local audiobahn dealer has a astrovan with I think 4 15'' subs and 2 18''s in it, all custom with those speakers it looks so cool, real loud. did I mention hehe.

I built my first system up just a while ago, I originally planned to have Fosgate components but really mixed it up and only have one of their amps, and a Kicker L7 in the cab. I didnt really want to much of a noise but some good base, and the way I did it, I built up the truck around the enclosure, not the enclosure to the truck hehe.

Jay

ChadEXer
02-25-2003, 08:19 AM
I have one of the new Dodge Rams! The whole reason I bought the truck, well other than I love the looks of them, was because it had so much room in it and 4 doors! The only bad thing about them is there is NO room for a system!! The only thing you can fit under the rear seats is 2 8's! Not going to do me much good! So right now I built 2 seperate boxes for my 4 12's(just laying in the back seat) so I can take them out of the truck when the family rides in it! So thats why Im going to do a cut through so i dont have to do that!! When you lift up my rear hard top, I will have the amps, capacitor, fuse blocks and all that other stuff custom mounted in there with vinyl on the boxes! It will look sweet! Not only that when I get the 24's, the 2"-4" drop, and the body kit and interior done I will probably start showing it! I am even going to put some screens, a DVD player, and a PS 2 in it for the kids!! I told my wife I wouldnt make this truck into a show truck but now that Im done building the 505, I need another project!! I will probably do the vast majority of it over the summer!! But will be starting on the system in the next few days!!

Here is a pic of my truck stock!! So far the only thing added is some Flowmasters(with turn down) a K&N intake, and my system!

Jay300ex
02-25-2003, 02:00 PM
Looks pretty good man! Slammed full size trucks are pretty sweet.. My system is removable also, but it really doesnt have to be because I dont have a family heh. I have a tarp for the bed which I use in the winter mostly. I just got the truck painted Lime green and have my own custom roll pan. When, spring rolls around I get a rhino lining put in and I can put my white 17'' rims back on. I was considering getting it bagged but I am leaning more towards just dropping it a couple of inches with a better suspension.

Anyway, I hope to get a 3/4 ton truck withing 10 years. Hehe

Jay

slydog
06-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Pyle amps not to bad, I would recommend SPL or Power AcoustiK

toomeyshee87
06-13-2004, 10:31 PM
you really gotta watch the amps...get a good one or you are paying for nothing, there is no way that amp puts out 1400 watts. prolly more like 300.

if you go to walmart and see the Jenson 600 watt amp and its really cheap dont think "whoa im gettin all that for less then a kicker 150 watt amp is" becuz a audio place put that Jenson 600 watt amp on a rack and tested it at putting out 50 WATTS! yes thats right only 50. can you say ripoff?? usually the pacages say max power 600 or something in small text on them. just get all JL Audio and be done with it. haha:blah:

Cody_300ex
06-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by slydog
Pyle amps not to bad, I would recommend SPL or Power AcoustiK

Do you relise how old this is? :p

toomeyshee87
06-13-2004, 10:38 PM
OMFG!! i didnt even look at the date:rolleyes: