PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer: Rooftop paint/heat barrier

mcwilly
07-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Right now our enclosed trailer has just the bare sheet metal roof on the top (exterior, the inside is insulated). I've been told that Lowes and Home Depot sells paint that can be applied that is leak resistant and helps sheild the roof from the heat, thus keeping the temperature down inside the trailer. Acts like a radiant/heat barrier. When I call my local Lowes and Home Depot, they act like I'm speaking some foreign language and have no idea what I'm talking about. If anybody has used such paint (preferably in white) where did you get it? I'd like to find it locally if possible so I can have it done before this weekends race.
July + Texas = HOT

slightlybent47
07-05-2011, 10:38 AM
You just cant get good help these days!lol
Try a RV place, they have a coating that is like rubber and will seal the top and reduce the heat. I did mine a few years ago and it helped a lot.

insaneracin2003
07-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I was going to do the same to my trailes but I sold it prior to doing it. The RV place sells it but I am not sure of the name. It is kinda like a do-it-yourself truck bed liner but has an insulation additive in it I believe.

Slightlybent47...I love your sig. words to live/race by:
You shouldn’t be concentrating on how fast your bike is.
You should be concentrating on how well you can ride it.
Never ride over your skill level and Never ride over the abilities of your machine.
Your not done riding till your bike is clean.

slightlybent47
07-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
Slightlybent47...I love your sig. words to live/race by:
You shouldn’t be concentrating on how fast your bike is.
You should be concentrating on how well you can ride it.
Never ride over your skill level and Never ride over the abilities of your machine.
Your not done riding till your bike is clean.

Thank you!

fastrnrik
07-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Kool Seal is a a product like you describe. Comes in 5 gallon buckets. It was popular on older mobile homes when they had flat roofs, ya know single wides, double wides, etc. My dad had a bunch of rental mobile homes (slumlord! LOL) when I was a kid and I was always having to put that crap on them roofs! Crappy job!
Jokes aside, the product is good. Its a thick white coating that seals & insulates and stays pliable. I just bought ans AC unit for our trailer and plan on putting it on the roof

mcwilly
07-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by fastrnrik
Kool Seal is a a product like you describe. Comes in 5 gallon buckets. It was popular on older mobile homes when they had flat roofs, ya know single wides, double wides, etc. My dad had a bunch of rental mobile homes (slumlord! LOL) when I was a kid and I was always having to put that crap on them roofs! Crappy job!
Jokes aside, the product is good. Its a thick white coating that seals & insulates and stays pliable. I just bought ans AC unit for our trailer and plan on putting it on the roof

I found Kool Seal on Lowes' website. I called two by the house and neither had it. BUT they did have something similar called "Ultra Roof" in a 5 gallon bucket. The description says there's prep work involved....what did you do to the roof to prep it? I'm assuming just wipe it down and clean it with alcohol, amonia, mineral spirits or something like that?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_139941-29-5530-1-30_0__?productId=3013309&Ntt=ultra+roof&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dultra%2Broof&facetInfo=

Think that's what I'll try. Hoping to have it applied by this weekend. Prep/clean it this evening and apply it Thur and Fri evening for two coats (says 24hr dry time)

slightlybent47
07-06-2011, 10:04 AM
There is a coating that is used for mobile homes but it’s not the same thing. I have used it on mine and it’s deferent then the rubberized paint that you use on RV’s.
You want the rubberized paint not that silver mobile home roof coating. Lows or home depot may have to order it so try an RV center. As for prep I did mine when it was new so all I did was wash the top real good with soap and water.

One gallon did the whole top with two coats on my small 6x12 trailer. I just used a small roller to apply it.

mcwilly
07-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
There is a coating that is used for mobile homes but it’s not the same thing. I have used it on mine and it’s deferent then the rubberized paint that you use on RV’s.
You want the rubberized paint not that silver mobile home roof coating. Lows or home depot may have to order it so try an RV center. As for prep I did mine when it was new so all I did was wash the top real good with soap and water.

One gallon did the whole top with two coats on my small 6x12 trailer. I just used a small roller to apply it.

CR@P lol. Not sure what the difference is....the link I posted above is a "elastomeric" coating and flexes up to 350%.

I found this at Home Depot, it says it can be used on motor homes.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100051140/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The only RV place close to me is expensive as hell and they're closed before I leave work......and evidently have a hard time answering their phone or returning voicemails since they havent called back.

slightlybent47
07-06-2011, 03:23 PM
As long as it’s rubberized paint it doesn’t mater where you buy it. The aluminum coat is just a petroleum based coating and it gets hard over time. Don’t go cheap on this step, you get what you pay for.

slightlybent47
07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
How big is the trailer you plan on doing? Because one gallon put two coats on my 6x12.
So if you only need one gallon, then it still may be cheaper at the RV store. Vs. 5 gallons at Lowes.

fastrnrik
07-06-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm sure there is a better product than the kool seal we used years ago. I haven't researched it. Any similar product that deflects heat and stays somewhat pliable should work fine. Good luck with it.