PDA

View Full Version : 10 years taken off my life!

jake55
07-05-2011, 09:14 AM
My son Jake was one of many to take a bad spill on the big up hill tripple (double for us minis). jakes crash was on the last practice session friday afternoon for the 90's, totaly rider error, he burped the throttle at the last second in fear he might land on another rider and came up a bit short, throwing him face first into the face of the third jump. on impact his upper body was facing up hill with his face down in the dirt and as if doing some type of aerobic manuver his hips and legs were above his head, basicly folded in half backwards. Jake is fine, bruised and sore but rode the rest of the weekend, not our best performance of the year, but he was able to ride.
anyhow, the purpuse of this thread is to say thank goodness for the LEATT BRACE, FLY HELMET AND HRP chest and kidny protector!!!
i am convinced that all these products did their job. the helmet was cracked but his head was not. the leatt brace had the thumb release trigger ripped off but otherwise held up well. you can see the imprint where the helmet jammed into it which tells me it did exactly what it is intended to do.
we all know bad things can happen, thank goodness thier are products out there that can help REDUCE the risk.

gistmarrs
07-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Amen brother!

The right gear will significantly reduce injuries. That is about the worst type of wreck on these machines and he walked away!

Tell him we are proud of him for getting back on the machine and racing.

thequadfather+2
07-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Yes I agree it all starts with the right gear. That particular jump got several kids over the weekend, Logan Dusenbury, Alex Walters and several others as well. I saw one kid in 90 mod crash and the next kid hit him and crashed too....it seemed like it had a very small sweet spot and anything over or under ended with a bad outcome.

Hope everyone was ok.

Want to give a shout out to Justin Palmer in 70 cvt. He had a nasty crash and got ran over. He was pretty banged up but glad he ended up OK.

EthansDad
07-05-2011, 11:26 AM
yea, that jump was eating them up last weekend. I was watching Ethan during practice and talking trackside with Don B. I saw Ethan double the triple step on on his 50CVT and I said "damn he hit that". then, he disappeared off the jump. I had a moment of disbelief and had to ask Don, did he just crash off the side of that jump?

was told later by another mini parent that saw from a different angle that Ethan was about to land on another kid that had singled up and pitched his quad over in the air a foot or two so he would not land on the other kid. When Ethan landed, he just rode off the side of the jump and was OK.

Don't know about losing 10 years on my life but my butt did pucker up on that one....

thequadfather+2
07-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Dang Eric that took guts hitting that on the 50....Brady asked if he could try it on the 90 and I said yea sure. Within 10 seconds of saying that a kid crashed trying to hit it, I turned back to Brady and said, you know...on second thought I dont think you should, your not used to the bike. He said OK and I reminded him again right before he went out.

If you over jump that one you hit the face of the next one. I think that one required a measure of skill and we werent there yet.

Eric I think Ethan would try to jump the Grand Canyon if you told him too...:D

jake55
07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by thequadfather+2

If you over jump that one you hit the face of the next one. I think that one required a measure of skill and we werent there yet.

i guess we arent there yet either. although jake did do it again in saturday morning practice with better results, but we decided to single it the rest of the weekend.

Logan #34's Dad
07-05-2011, 01:01 PM
I hear ya Rob! When Logan ate it - I thought it was the big one. He is a sore lil dude still today.
He said he backed off cause there was noone close behind him and just a couple mph less caused him do flip it. Cernic sure does make some aggressive tracks - (designed Steel City also) - Both tracks had a lot of broken axels....
I ask myself why we keep doing this................

thequadfather+2
07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Rocky, thats one tuff little dude you got there. I saw it as well and it was a wicked hit. He dropped his left arm when he was scrambling to get off the track, I thought it was broke.

Hey Rob that says alot when he can come back and hit it again the next day....No way I could get mine to do that after a wreck.

rebuiltoz
07-05-2011, 03:52 PM
yea my son also decided to try it friday morning on his 50 cvt after passing a kid at the bottom of the hill before it. he came up a lil short and the quad shot left and he went face first into the triple. i didnt see it live thank god but my daughter filmed the wreck. the evs....chest protector and helmet did the job. has some bruises on his forehead, side of head, chest and legs but says he is ready for unadilla but i dont know if i am hahaha. thanks to all who came up to check on him.

hwf-racing
07-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm glad Jake is doing Ok. And thank God for the protection. At our local. Last race we had one of our kids fly off the side of a table and he hit so hard he cracked his chest protector. He doing well. Rob, tell the family we said hello!!!! Derek

coffing918
07-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I did see trenton hit it and come up short,, he really took a nasty spill ,, then he was laying there in the middle of the jump , I was so scared that someone was gunna try to hit it and land on him> Im glad trenton is ok!

don bassani
07-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Glad everyone is ok ! That jump requires almost perfect timing .

rebuiltoz
07-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Thank you....yea he was able to crawl to the edge but that was it. It definitely bit a few riders for sure. Glad they are all alright

jake55
07-06-2011, 05:11 AM
i'm not blaming the track at all, in fact jake said it was one of the most fun tracks to ride so far this year. it kinda sucks that he crashed because friday his confidence was sky high and i could see him riding better. the results from the weekend tell the story of where his confidence is now. 2 steps forward, 4 steps back. once again, THANK GOODNESS FOR ALL THE SAFTY GEAR!!!

rocky, to answer your question, "why do we continue to do this?" FAMILY TIME!!!! plane and simple, where else can an entire family go on an emotional roller coaster like this? these kids might not realize it now, but they will someday know that their mom's and dad's made huge sacrafices for them and hopefully they will do the same for there kids!!! when they do, that's when we get rewarded!!!!

p.s. Denny's has free deserts for anybody that is having a birthday or wearing a badge, limit one per customer!!! NO DOUBLE DIPPING TODAY ROCKY!! happy b-day! :devil: :devil:

EthansDad
07-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Im glad everyones ok, seems like a lot of mini crashes this weekend and most on that jump. Didnt see lifeflight come in, so that's a huge relief any weekend.

Bruce, Ethan never asked and I never told him to hit that! I don't know were he got the idea for that. I did lean over to him on the line moto 2 of the limited and said, your not going to hit that stepup are you? He said no dad, I'd crack my bike in half. Good plan.