PDA

View Full Version : POS MAIER Plastics

slamdak8782
07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Ok so I ordered a set of front race cut Maiers and I get them and they completely omit the indentations that are normally seen on 250r plastics. The one I speak of is the one your knee would bump. Really pissed about it and to top it off there is no place to mount the 86 scoop I had planned on putting on there. So Im sitting here thinking now my R looks like some generic atv offroad fury POS and Im pissed. Seriously Maier maybe as time goes by you'll just send a flat piece of plastic that I duck tape on after all no one will notice such insignificant detail, absolute junk. Pay the extra cash and buy fullbores. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :mad: :mad:

bigmatt61
07-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm not a maier lover by any means, however I would like to point out that they have been that way for years if not ever.

Matt

SilverLake250R
07-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah, Maier one piece fenders are not the best looking by any means, but the Maier 2-piece have come a long way and look pretty decent. I have a set of OEM, Maier, and Fullbores and comparing them, OEM is obviously the cleanest and sharpest looking, Fullbore is the thickest and very tough, and the Maier (2-piece) is a decent replacement for stock, or a good way to go if you are trying to get that stock look. The only fenders I have not had are Lakers, and I would like to give them a try at some point, but they also do not have the indentations on the side, just like the Maier one piece.

D Bergstrom
07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by bigmatt61
however I would like to point out that they have been that way for years if not ever.

What he said. There are pics of them on Maiers website that show they don't have the indentations. If you wanted to run the scoop, why would you want to run race fronts anyway? Do the lines of the race fronts even match up with the scoop? Looks like you should have bought the standard two piece fronts with a hood. Don't blame Maier because you didn't do your research. I am perfectly happy with my Maier race front fender, I think it looks great, but I guess my 250R looks generic.:D

Doug

RyanWsly
07-05-2011, 02:24 PM
There is no replacement for stock fenders, they are the toughest, best fitting, best looking fenders by a long shot. I personally will run cracked/repaired OEM fenders over aftermarket replacements. dingy, spider cracked, cracked, scuffed, burnt, faded, or whatever else you can come up with being wrong with them I'll still take stock fenders. Maier fenders sorta fit....... fullbores fit, but still take those add on brackets that you just never can get right. I have no idea how durable fullbore fenders are, but Maier fenders explode when it's cold outside and come into contact with a stiff wind. Not a fan of aftermarket fenders period, hopefully a new run of OEM will spit out again one of these days.

bloodswet&gears
07-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Could you post some pic's so i can see what your talking about.?Its been a long time since i have seen any of their front fenders up close.

esstrx250r
07-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I was really happy with the fit and quality of the Maier plastics I bought a few months ago, although they are not race cut.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c28/esseclipse/DSC00377.jpg

unit32
07-05-2011, 05:48 PM
I also had no issue's with my maier plastic. Not the cleanest fitting but with a little tweeking looks ok. Like many have said nothing beats the stock plastic but if you need some new plastic it's definitely a cheap alternative to trying to find mint OEM

danhung11
07-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by slamdak8782
....Pay the extra cash and buy fullbores. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :mad: :mad:

Less learned... I too learned the same way. The OEM style Maiers in my opinion are better than the race version. The race version looks like a 300EX almost. I have a front OEM Style set, nice cut if you are interested.

slamdak8782
07-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Yes realistically my fault for not doing more research. I guess I was looking at the 2 piece front thinking they looked nice and then did not notice that the one piece lacked the indentations. I will order the 2 piece version next time. I think that they look generic and wanted to keep it more stock looking. Overall still looks better than my ratty old OEM stuff. Will the nosepiece that mounts underneath the fronts work with any aftermarket plastics?

slamdak8782
07-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Yes realistically my fault for not doing more research. I guess I was looking at the 2 piece front thinking they looked nice and then did not notice that the one piece lacked the indentations. I will order the 2 piece version next time. I think that they look generic and wanted to keep it more stock looking. Overall still looks better than my ratty old OEM stuff. Will the nosepiece that mounts underneath the fronts work with any aftermarket plastics

D Bergstrom
07-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by slamdak8782
Will the nosepiece that mounts underneath the fronts work with any aftermarket plastics?

I know when I bought my Maier two piece fronts the instructions mentioned mounting the stock front nose piece and included brackets for it. Didn't look into specifics though as I have never had a nose piece.

Doug

racerx573
07-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Hence the name "race cut" and not "stock replacement"

The aftermarkets have the indents, but only the OEM has the slits on the indents, which I always liked about the OEM.

I always ran the Maier stuff though, and always liked them on my R's.