PDA

View Full Version : Computer Guys...I need your help

XC_Racer_129
07-04-2011, 10:44 AM
I have a Dell XPS m1530. I've had it for almost 3 years now, and have never had a problem. A few weeks ago I was using it, and it was fine. I shut it off like always. Well later when I tried to start it up, it made me do the system check and all that fun stuff. Eventually it got to my desktop, but as soon as I click on something, it freezes up for a while and then eventually shuts off. I'm thinking it's the hard drive because I had something similiar happen with an old computer, but honestly I know little about computers, so please help if you can!

I was going to call dell but then they will want me to send it to them and I wont have my computer for a month, so if I can just buy a hard drive (If that's the problem) I can fix it much faster.

Thanks
-Jim

trailrider894
07-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I would try to run it in safe mode and see if it still does it... Or i would start it up in safe mode and try to run a hard drive test, or system file check. Sounds like its either some sort of hardware failure or software issue....

XC_Racer_129
07-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
I would try to run it in safe mode and see if it still does it... Or i would start it up in safe mode and try to run a hard drive test, or system file check. Sounds like its either some sort of hardware failure or software issue....

I tried running it in safe mode, but it loads only so many files and then gets stuck. Eventually it restarts normally and puts me back to where it freezes as soon as I click anything...

CJM
07-04-2011, 11:54 AM
10 bucks says the drive is shot. I had similar issues where the pooter got very slow, would often freeze for no reason at random times and such-hard drive took a dump about 3 months after the symptoms began.

trailrider894
07-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Get a new hard drivw... i'm sure thats what it is.

XC_Racer_129
07-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Get a new hard drivw... i'm sure thats what it is.

Yea, that's what I think too. I did some more research and that seems to be the problem. They are cheapish.

jesshamner
07-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Which operating system are you running? Do you have recovery back up disks? You are probably right but its possible that some files were corrupted in the boot sector and you could repair them.

TGW_400ex
07-06-2011, 07:31 AM
You could always try reformatting since your going to lose everything getting a new hard drive anyways.

XC_Racer_129
07-06-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm running Vista. I didn't get a whole lot of time to mess around with it over the weekend. I can try more stuff tonight maybe but since it freezes whenever I try to do something, that might not work haha.

jesshamner
07-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Did you make the recovery disks? Or did the manufacturer provide any? Vista has a repair option but rarely works for me. Its worth a try though.

brian76708
07-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I had the same computer and the HD failed with in 6 months as well as a bunch of other stuff. had dell come out and fix it 2 times then it was messing up again and after a year battle they sent me a studio xps and i returned the old one. This one has been a lot better.

I would check to see if you got a warranty when you bought it. I got a 4 year one when i got mine for pretty cheap and was well worth it. I was going to try and get a new one before it ran out but i forgot but so far my studio has been running good. I hope it stays that way.