PDA

View Full Version : race gas

05/450r/10
07-04-2011, 08:50 AM
can you run 110 race gas in a stock motor or what

mx Eli
07-04-2011, 09:13 AM
you might need to change jetting depending on what fuel you run, but there is no point in running it in a stock motor

eastside 400
07-04-2011, 04:37 PM
unless its oxygenated gas then there is no point to run it at all. it wouldnt require any jetting changes if its just a high octane non-oxy fuel.

airmobile101
07-04-2011, 06:02 PM
From personal experience, on a high compression engine, the engine will run a few degrees cooler. My engine on average runs about 5 degrees cooler. I have did multiple test with laser temp. testers on HC engines and stock engines.
Another side note, I may be crazy,but I swear that high octane is easier on a valve train compared to regular octane. No facts to back it, but I know once I started using high octane, I was able to go longer between shimming the valves. Hell........ Im still on my stock 2007 head and I still haven't re-valved it. And I run the chit out of it once or twice a month during races. I'm currently on a 1.55 and a 1.60 intake shims with the stock Ti intake valves.:D

eastside 400
07-04-2011, 08:36 PM
well if the high octane gas you are using is leaded, then yes, it can be easier on the valvetrain. Lead acts as a lubricant/protector. high octane by itself has no effect on the valvetrain. It will make it run a little cooler but i would switch my coolant before i ran expensive race gas just for that reason unless i needed it for higher compression.

airmobile101
07-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
well if the high octane gas you are using is leaded, then yes, it can be easier on the valvetrain. Lead acts as a lubricant/protector. high octane by itself has no effect on the valvetrain. It will make it run a little cooler but i would switch my coolant before i ran expensive race gas just for that reason unless i needed it for higher compression.
110 STRAIGHT OFF THE PUMP:D

fearlessfred
07-04-2011, 10:41 PM
higher octane fuels burn slower and can cause a loss of performance in a motor that does not need it.you will be paying more money for a loss in performance.

Pacheco_450r
07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
yea, no real advantage for a stock motor.

scotturban
07-05-2011, 04:26 PM
lol pretty much sums it up, Id only run race gas if your motor requires it, (higher comp, built)

eastside 400
07-05-2011, 07:12 PM
with all this talk, has anyone tried u4.4 or klotz oxy fuel? notice much of a difference?

DnB_racing
07-05-2011, 07:30 PM
with all this talk, has anyone tried u4.4 or klotz oxy fuel? notice much of a difference? i tried it for a while.. so they say jetting changes were fixed from u4.4 from the u4.1, but I still had to change the main,a plug chop showed it lean ...

i went from 168 to 172 (06) and the plug looked right were it should, and it seamed to run great,

the only thing that bothered me was at the end of season when I do my tear down, plug was a nice chocolate color but i had a lot more build up on top of piston and exhaust vales, not real carbon like but more of a gum type of greasy sludge, but no real damage or anything just some sludge.. but performance seamed just as crisp as regular c12,,, no carb issues..

I think for people that do a yearly tear down its fine .but for those that just ride it im not sure what the extra buildup on piston and exhaust train would do

eastside 400
07-05-2011, 08:32 PM
well i dont really see how they say there is no jetting changes since the fuel is oxygenated, the whole point of it is to get more oxygen in the combustion which would require more fuel

DnB_racing
07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
well i dont really see how they say there is no jetting changes since the fuel is oxygenated, the whole point of it is to get more oxygen in the combustion which would require more fuel I didnt belive it eithier ... it what what i was told (from the honda shop)its a dirrect replacement for pump.. but it definatly needs jetting changes... not a direct swap...

Lquad71
07-05-2011, 10:47 PM
the oxygented fuel actually has ethanol (alcohol) in it. it does raise the point at which detonations happens (increase octane), but kills performance. there are not as many BTU's in alcohol as in gas. so you need more alcohol to make the same power. XC-Mark is right about the jetting, running oxy-fuel vs regular gas, you will run leaner with oxy-fuel and the same jet size than with gas. oxy-fuel is the dumbest thing in the world IMHO. it's all about lowering emmissions, but nobody (greenies that pushed the legislation) thought take into account that you need to use more volume to get the same job done. sure one gallon of oxy-fuel gives off less pollutants than one gallon of gas, but you need 1.2ish gallons of oxy-fuel to get the same net power as one gallon of gas. the extra oxy-fuel to make the same BTU as gas pushes the total emmissions level higher than regular gas. also watch out for fuel stations that don't do lots of business and have oxy-fuel. if the tanks sit for a long time without getting stirred (filled), the alcohol can settle out of the fuel and you get a real ****ty tank full, either real bad gas or real high alcohol depending on supply trank level. it will make your jetting very irratic. if you get the gas, the octane is low and detonation becomes a problem, if you get the alcohol, your jetting goes way lean.

DnB_racing
07-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Lquad71
the oxygented fuel actually has ethanol (alcohol) in it. u4.4 doesnt contain ethinol, it contains tert-Butyl methyl ether

MTBE is manufactured via the chemical reaction of methanol and isobutylene. Methanol is derived from natural gas, and isobutylene is derived from butane obtained from crude oil or natural gas, thus MTBE is a fossil fuel.

Lquad71
07-05-2011, 11:38 PM
i learn something new everyday!haha

Pacheco_450r
07-05-2011, 11:56 PM
The U4.4 is super pricey anyways! Its about $30 more for a 5 gallon can vs VP110.

Lquad71
07-06-2011, 11:01 PM
ive ran the u4.4 recently and it feels to me like better performance than c12 and vp110. its a much lower octane from what i remember though???
and it smells amazing!:p :p

Pacheco_450r
07-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Lquad71
ive ran the u4.4 recently and it feels to me like better performance than c12 and vp110. its a much lower octane from what i remember though???
and it smells amazing!:p :p

Yea U4.4's Octane rating is 103

SHIFTx450
07-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I always am running Cam2, C-12, or Powermist 115. All leaded race fuels. Is it necessary, NO. Do my bikes love it, YES! I can even hear a difference in bark from the exhaust note, and feel it in the throttle response. Try it yourself.. I'll bet you feel a difference in rippin between sh*tty a*s pump gas versus running a leaded higher octane race fuel.

I second the part about not needing the valve adjustments as much. It's just good gas in general. There's no downside other than price if you're running a stock motor.

Pump gas is all friggin e-10 anymore. Junk. These race fuels are pure gas mostly, no junk. They run better, motors love the lead, and smell better too!

eastside 400
07-08-2011, 06:56 PM
you wont notice power increases from running a higher octane non oxy fuel. its plain and simple, the only reason higher octane is useful is for higher compression to prevent detonation. or if you can advance your ignition timing. running C12 over pump has no power advantages in a stock motor.

DnB_racing
07-08-2011, 07:06 PM
you wont notice power increases from running a higher octane non oxy fuel. its plain and simple, the only reason higher octane is useful is for higher compression to prevent detonation. or if you can advance your ignition timing. running C12 over pump has no power advantages in a stock motor. as far as power there are no gains... but as far as a cleaner fuel for the carb there is a difference..

in my kids quad I run c12 just so i dont have to clean his carb every month.. he only uses about a tank full a month,

if I kept the junk pump fuel in that long the carb would plug.. i run race fuel in his so i dont have to drain his tank evey ride,
I just top him off with about a half a gallon at a time and I keep from having to work on his carb. or drain his tank...

in his quad its for laziness not performance..lol

fearlessfred
07-08-2011, 07:31 PM
you wont notice power increases from running a higher octane non oxy fuel. its plain and simple, the only reason higher octane is useful is for higher compression to prevent detonation. or if you can advance your ignition timing. running C12 over pump has no power advantages in a stock motor.
x2.if you dynoed a stock 400ex on 93 octane ahd then 110 you would see a loss in horse power unless you advanced the ignition timing to compensate for the slower burning fuel. you may feel like you have better throttle responce because race fuels have a lower specific gravity, and get drawn thru the main jet faster at the time when opening the throttle. i would guess valve life could be extended with leaded fuel and todays pump gas is kinda crappy for carbs,but seems to work fine for EFI. I
guess if you have the extra money to pay for how it smells,than go for it