PDA

View Full Version : A cause for concern??

chronicsmoke
07-04-2011, 07:47 AM
I had my 450r at a local sand track today, it ran like a champ. Definitely the fastest machine on the track . I was riding for about 2 hours of 20 minute intervals of full speed/WOT practice laps. It was also pretty hot outside too..

Anywho, the quad started to sputter a bit, bogged down and wouldnt rev out.. coasted to a stop and the motor finally stopped. Then it wouldnt fire back up again. Tried messing with the switched, changing the fuel supply to 'reserve'. I let it cool for a couple minutes while I pondered how to bring it back to the trailer. Then i fired it back up, had a really hard time keeping it a idle (still bogging down). Then it revved up again and was alright after, but had some mild backfiring.

My air filter was a couple of rides old, engine light never came on. I'm running a 13:1 piston, HRC cam, P&P, my fuel is VP110 mixed 50/50 with 91-94. never had a problem until now..

Could it be just a clogged jet, maybe the air filter wasnt passing enough air?

Any ideas guys? I'm going to tune it up this week anyway, but I'd like a couple of opinions too

mx Eli
07-04-2011, 09:11 AM
check your oil and oil filter for copper shavings, if thats all clear and it runs again who knows:confused:

chronicsmoke
07-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by mx Eli
check your oil and oil filter for copper shavings, if thats all clear and it runs again who knows:confused:

Damn, I really hope my oil is clear and that this is just a jetting issue.. I really dont feel like tearing it down again, it runs so good.

I'll see if the oil has shavings when I dump the oil today/tomorrow.. I think I'm still on OEM crank bearings, so I wouldnt be surprised. I actually predicted that I'd finish them off this year, but I couldn't justify tearing into the bottom end with no shavings in the oil this winter.

Might have to pull the ol '86 out of the stable for a while

mx Eli
07-04-2011, 09:33 AM
the weird thing is it revs after it happened so it almost sounds like jet clogged or somthing... I'm only 15 soo not much of an expert:p

chronicsmoke
07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Yah, it's got me stumped until I get a chance to look at it.

I'm going to check everything. If I'm going to have to change the crank bearings I want to do it before I have a catostrophic failure.

chronicsmoke
07-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Good news, no shavings in the oil/filter.

Air filter was pretty bad, so I'm guessing that's the culprit.. But I'm going to tune it up while I'm at it. We'll see this weekend i guess

mx Eli
07-04-2011, 10:05 PM
prolly just got choked off from the air filter, might wana look at jets just to make sure there clean, your choice though

chronicsmoke
07-05-2011, 05:51 AM
For sure, I'm going to give it a quick once over before I take it back out again. I'm prpbably going to get a couple extra filters oiled up for every time that I'm out in dusty conditions.

DnB_racing
07-05-2011, 08:07 AM
as long as you didnt hear any strange noise from your motor,, something like the sound of a screen door opening,, if so your piston might have broke a ring, something like this will run better cold, but when hot it will show up

do a compression check, or pull the head if your unsure

chronicsmoke
07-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing

do a compression check, or pull the head if your unsure

I didnt hear any strange noises DnB, I did find 1-2 fine particles of a white metal (not brass/copper) after a second examination of the oil filter. But I'm guessing that it was just the new rings wearing in.. I have a pic of my filter cut open if you want to see it, but I'm pretty sure its the rings wearing in..

That being said, I'll run a compression test while its in the shop, why not.

A kickers stock compression should be around 100PSI IIRC.. what about a 13:1 Piston?

Thanks for the guidance gents! :muscle:

IOWAracer
07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Just checking, Did you drain both sides and inspect in one pan? or just look thru the filter?? Could have some clutch fiber in the oil also...sounds like jetting to me could also be the plug on the coil....I have had that come loose and make and lose connection and cause a similar problem to what you are describing....

Broc

chronicsmoke
07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by IOWAracer
Just checking, Did you drain both sides and inspect in one pan? or just look thru the filter?? Could have some clutch fiber in the oil also...sounds like jetting to me could also be the plug on the coil....I have had that come loose and make and lose connection and cause a similar problem to what you are describing....

Broc

You should have seen the air filter.. I cleaned it in a coffee can (perfect fit) and let the solids settle to the bottom.. it's unbeleivable that there is that much dirt/dust from under 4 hours of riding.. I knew it was dusty but WOW..

Im pretty confident that that was the issue, my clutch fibers are under 3 hours old (fried the clutch) but i'm going to change the tranny fluid anyway.

I'm using Amsoil 80W90 <--- unless someone tells me different..

Thanks for the input

DnB_racing
07-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
I'm using Amsoil 80W90 <--- unless someone tells me different..

Thanks for the input ok Ill tell different....LOL use Rottella white bottle, works as good if not better the any transmision grade oil, but 1/4 the price!!!

IOWAracer
07-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Use Rotella on both sides! its good for the lowerend as well as the clutch!!

chronicsmoke
07-06-2011, 05:38 AM
haha D'oh! I already ordered the 80W90.

I am using Amsoil on both sides right now, but I'm getting some 'pop' when going from neutral into second. Sometimes (not often) I'll hit neutral when shifting too, a real pain in the arse.

But that should be alright in the clutch side though?
I've always ran Amsoil or Klotz and have never really noticed my clutch pop.. For the price of 1 bottle I figured I'd give it a shot..