PDA

View Full Version : New Guy...got some quick questions

7.5L_STX
07-03-2011, 06:48 PM
hey everybody, i joined awhile back and this is my 1st post. i recently got a 2001 400ex. when i got it, it was mostly in pieces.

heres the day i got it:
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr254/myprevioustomorrow/0627111945.jpg==

its got a fully gusseted frame, powdercoated, LSR bearing carrier, UM aluminum airbox, K&N filter, stage 3 hotcam, ported and polished head, full LRD exhaust(rusty pile of crap), +2 Axle, AC nerfs, IMS Roll Pegs, ITP rims all the way around, original holeshots on the front, Kenda knarlys on the back, full frame skid and swingarm skid.

so the day i got it i started rebuilding, put the top end together with all new cometic gaskets, fast forward to yesterday, i start it up and its smokin like a two stroke and the valve cover was leakin like it was going out of style so this weekend i gotta rebuild it :rolleyes:

1st question: it came with a second piston and jug, the piston is bigger than the stock jug thats on it now. the numbers on top are D01E2/4628m08600. any of those numbers seem familiar?
the second jug is way too big for the aforementioned piston. im guessing the piston is maybe a 416 and the jug is from when this bike had a 440 kit.

2nd: is there anything special i should know while rebuilding the top end? this is my first 400

thanks in advance for any help guys! :D

426kidz
07-03-2011, 07:07 PM
ok...if you put your rings in wrong...could be the smoking, but i would take it and get it bored out and get a new piston so you now know whats going it in! but to tell the truth i would put the hd studs and a good timing chain..crf chain, i know this sounds like a pain and alot of work but do it right once and be done! maybe even a cam...depending on what size you go up to...maybe a 406 with a stage 2 hot cam...all depends on what the cyl and everything look like as well as what kind of ridding you will be doin!! pm me if you have any probs or questions!

7.5L_STX
07-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by 426kidz
ok...if you put your rings in wrong...could be the smoking, but i would take it and get it bored out and get a new piston so you now know whats going it in! but to tell the truth i would put the hd studs and a good timing chain..crf chain, i know this sounds like a pain and alot of work but do it right once and be done! maybe even a cam...depending on what size you go up to...maybe a 406 with a stage 2 hot cam...all depends on what the cyl and everything look like as well as what kind of ridding you will be doin!! pm me if you have any probs or questions!

the rings were definately put in right but i think they just need to be replaced along with valve seals, and its already got a stage 3 hotcam. timing chain and guides were in good shape.

oh and im not afraid of workin on an engine. ive built a few 250xs and 300exs but this is my first 400.

7.5L_STX
07-03-2011, 07:39 PM
just searched my part #. the piston is wiseco 11:1 .040 over.

i think im going to get the stock cylinder bored for this piston. its brand new with rings.

ridehonda400ex
07-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Quad looks decent, clean it up and do the engine RIGHT. And get a stg 2 cam, that stg3 wont be the best for the set-up youll have, at least IMO

7.5L_STX
07-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
Quad looks decent, clean it up and do the engine RIGHT. And get a stg 2 cam, that stg3 wont be the best for the set-up youll have, at least IMO

i agree with the cam but i think im just gonna stick with it. and yah its decent, i basically got it for free :D

426kidz
07-03-2011, 11:17 PM
you wont like the stage 3...and will have it torn down in a month to put a stage 2 in...but its your call. my biggest advice is do it right once and you will be happy with it...a little money now or alot later is the question!