PDA

View Full Version : which new topend for my roll pc2000 or

daveciak
07-03-2011, 05:29 PM
im looking for feedback on which topend to buy. the duncan pc2000 pv340 or as my builder reccomends, the new sphinx cylinder setup from FTZ racing. In the past 20 years ive never heard anything bad about duncan quality or performance. my buddy, on the other hand, lives by FTZ and has had exellent results with them. He has assembled about 10 FTZ motors ,kits that he has purchased for his customers. All with no problems. I just dont want to get a motor that will lead to reliabilty issues with the bottom end or clutch. This is my third roll ive had and I will just be fast trailriding and duning with it. The motor i currentley have is a ct 350pv and when i sent it to him to rebuild it, when he was finished, the head nuts wouldnt hold more than 14 lbs of tourqe. As luck would have it ,the studs pulled out from prior damage, and I took the head off so my builder didnt know there was a issue. Any feedback would be appreciated.

danhung11
07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure you will be able to mix a fast trail motor with a dune motor all in one... I'd think a 340 is too much for the woods, a nice snappy 265 or low end 310 would be great, while being cost effective.

If you are worried about reliability, why on earth are you choosing these setups? What are you planning to spend on your motor? $3k?

sameltoe
07-06-2011, 03:32 PM
I hope a 340pv isn't too much for the woods...

troybilt
07-06-2011, 05:11 PM
340 should be a great torque motor for the woods, depending on porting...

265 sleeper
07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
No motor is ever to big to ride trails it just how you setup it up and how good you can ride . If a 340 is to big tell that to the guys that ride a cr500 in the woods . Just my opinion

2-330s
07-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 265 sleeper
No motor is ever to big to ride trails it just how you setup it up and how good you can ride . If a 340 is to big tell that to the guys that ride a cr500 in the woods . Just my opinion

a big motor with bottom porting is great in the woods. roll the throttle and climb what you want or snap it and pop over logs. i've ridden with xc guys that left fourstrokes for big bore two strokes for a reason. (these were all bike guys);)

J250r
07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Dave you have a PM

daveciak
07-07-2011, 11:56 AM
j250r in response to your message about what will I do with the CT350 PV top end im replacing. I will hope that ill be able to sell it. Otherwise its just another paperweight or a real pretty bookend. Its got a fresh bore, new woosner piston from ct and the powervalve was cut to match it, and all gaskets , o-rings to reassemble. My builder sent it to Dennis @ FTZ racing to do this work. It just needs crazy glue to hold the studs in!!!!!!! Ive been told that it can be repaired but im going to just try ti sell it at this point. Ijust dont want to spend months and months trying to find a shop to repair it and miss an entire riding season. Im to old for that 43 yrs. Hopefully, I can get enough out of it to recover what I have in it, at this point. Rodney Bowen of No Limit Performance is building it and had I not took the head off to look at it before I took it to him , he would have found it before I threw good money into it. I f your interested PM me and ill send pics, I dont know how to put them on here.

265 sleeper
07-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure on your problem but I had a same problem with my stock big bore head studs ripped right out when the rings seated .55 squish . I got a guy that does my machine work and he get allthread rod and drills and taps them to take the head stud being used . Then comes back machine them flat works great. He raced motocross . He made all kinds of stuff . But that should work helicoils don't work all the time . But you insert them no problems .