PDA

View Full Version : 8 Clutch plate system, what components?

Adams44
12-04-2001, 08:56 PM
In changing to an 8 plate clutch system, what do you need?

I am assuming you need more space on the clutch hub and basket?
Does a Hinson have a deeper hub and basket allowing you to do this?

Sparks is selling this modification, but isn't clear on what it involves.

Thanks for clearing up the fog.

JEFF8400EX
12-05-2001, 05:18 AM
you need a hinson basket and inner hub. they don't make a pressure plate yet. by the way what class do you run in gncc?

Adams44
12-07-2001, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info. A little pricey to go to 8 plate system.
I ran all but 2 races in the 4stk C. Money will be tight this year and I moved by about 6 MX tracks, so I will switch to MX and maybe run the Penton, Ironman and Lorreta's next...my heart is with the GNCC, though. I have competed in all sorts of racing for years at low and high levels, but I had more fun at the GNCC's than anything.

Did you run GNCC this year?

trx400ex
12-07-2001, 05:02 PM
have you ever wrecked on any hills while you were racing? i think that would be a problem for me,, the ironman rules

the only thing i know about the 8 plate setup is it involves alot of $ changing hands

Chef
12-07-2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by JEFF8400EX
you need a hinson basket and inner hub. they don't make a pressure plate yet. by the way what class do you run in gncc?

actually they do, cause i have one

JEFF8400EX
12-07-2001, 07:02 PM
it is a lot of money thats why all i got was the basket. hot440ex i didn't know that, cool. yes i ran 2 gncc this year the penton and high point. finshed 7th at high point had 1 bad wreak that slowed me down at high point and lost a wheel at the penton. plan on racing all the gncc races this year except fl and ga. where did you end up the points? i also did the dist 5 arenacross seris in dist 5 finshed 4th overall . i also did all the dist 5 hare scrambles finshed 4th in it also

Sandragggen
12-08-2001, 03:11 AM
Try CR500 clutch springs @ $4.75 ea. before you throw your money into a $800 clutch.

12-08-2001, 10:22 AM
Best and cheapest solution until you wear out your clutch basket and have to spend the money is to put a stock 250r clutch system in (steels and fibers). This will allow you to run with 8 plates. I run this set-up for GNCC and I know 20+ people using this set-up running moto-x. It will run you around $150.00 for everything. Do not goto the heavier clutch springs, this is a waste and will just make you wear yourself out pulling in the clutch.

Sandragggen
12-08-2001, 12:46 PM
hummmm...I drag race and found that CR500 springs work great. dirtyp....you obviously have not tried the CR500 spring thing for if you did you would not be saying they are a waste. If you did try CR500 springs and found they didn't work then something else was wrong with your clutch. I'm sure that the 250r set up works great, but so does the CR500 springs that will cost you $23.75 for all ($4.75 ea.). The 500 springs will be harder to pull but in no way will it wear you out. LOL

Adams44
12-08-2001, 04:19 PM
Thanks dirtyp,
I didn't know that the R is an 8 plate, that is a great idea. What class are you running?

JEFF8400ex,
I finished 8th in points, but had a hard year. I had motor problems that took me out while leading 4 races on lap 3 and 4. You should run Fl. and Ga. they were great tracks. Florida was my favorite (except for the jungle section) besides the Ironman. What class did you ran and what are you going to run next year? Good luck next year.

Nick

JEFF8400EX
12-08-2001, 06:43 PM
i hope to run openb not sure yet maybe stay in 4st c. what do you think?

Adams44
12-08-2001, 07:17 PM
Hey Jeff,

I am going to run either open B or 4stk mod. I like the morning races, but I don't like starting behind the utilities. There were several times when we were passing the slower Ut's at the 1/2 mile point! Open B is an awful big class, I don't know, I am going to look at my lap times a little closer and see what the highest class I can run in the top 15 to 10 and probably run that. I might shoot for one class higher so I will be forced to get alot faster. I ran the pro class for the hell of it at a local H.S. recently and did pretty good, but they sure taught me that I was not pushing myself near hard enough. Uhh...I didn't mean I am going to run the pro class, just that I want to get faster and the only way to do that is ride with faster riders.

Hey Dirtyp,
I just looked at a 250R microfiche and they are showing 7 plates and that is what I put in my 88 last year was 7. Are you sure that 8 will fit, because I would like to change that?
Thanks for the info.

Dave400ex
12-08-2001, 07:57 PM
Where do you live at in Fort Wayne? I live in Columbia City. I`m sure you know where that is. I want to race GNCC when I`m old enough. What all do you have done to your 400ex? (Mods) We are going to be starting a club sometime soon. Do you know people that would want to join? Thanks.

JEFF8400EX
12-08-2001, 08:08 PM
ya thats the reason i want to move to openb to run in the afternoon. i would like to run 4st mod but that class is really fast. not sure what i want to run either

Adams44
12-09-2001, 04:48 AM
Hey Woodswarrior,

I think I talked with you on another forum a while ago. I drive through Columbia City all the time, are there any places or practice tracks to ride around here, I just moved here?

To run GNCC or any AMA sanctioned race (if it above 90cc) you have to be 16 before a certain, but I don't know what it is. You can find out at www.gnccracing.com.
What mods on my 400, man I can't write that long. Just about everything but frame, a-arms. Custom Axis and PEP shocks, LSR swingarm, RPM Axle, Razors, Carbon FIber rears, too much to list. My motor is modified, but not that much. I think I am racing MX next year, so I need to get some a-arms and some more motor work, since I was able to clear 3 sets of the doubles at Butler and the Banshee were able to make it. But I am out of money, and may rather have a nice spare parts stock.
You are pretty close to Trojan MX, North Webster.

Hey Jeff, I don't blame you, 4 stk mod is fast. And if you start in 4stk mod, I am not sure if you can move down or not. A friend of mine did really good in 4 stk mod with very few after market parts on a 400 EX, Ryan Lane...stock shocks, axle, swingarm, some motor work but not very much.
Nick

Dave400ex
12-09-2001, 09:38 AM
Were you on Atvnews a while back? Are you going to race at Trojan? Look out for number 29. My brother is going to race his 250r. It`s still in the shop getting motor work done to it. He had TC racing do a complete race engine. $2,500 for the stinking thing.

There`s no big riding parks around here. All we have is some motocross tracks. Hangtime MX in Akron, Trojan in North Webster, Fulton Co. MX in Rochester, and D & D in Rochester. Those are all part of Reads Racing. Have you been to the Cross Country track in Culver? Have you ever been to the Badlands? Right now we don`t have anything planned to go. We are going to go there the day after Easter though. Do you know where the truck stop is in Columbia City. We meet there. I`ll let you know and maybe you could come along. We need more people to ride with. When practice starts at Webster we will have to go on the same day sometime.

How do you like the Axis shocks? Are they better than the PEPs? I want to get PEP or Axis shocks, but I`m not sure which is better. Since you raced some GNCC`s you would know. If you had to buy shocks again for XC racing which one would you get, PEP or Axis? Thanks.

Adams44
12-09-2001, 01:40 PM
I am real happy with the Axis rear, so happy that I may try and sell my PEP ZPS and get axis fronts. I don't have the money to do that right now, so I am not sure.
Axis is they way to go, but depends on your budget. No matter what shock you will need to fine tune it to you and your style. I ran all season and I'm just now starting to feel what I need to do with them...you'll never stop learning.
I know everybody says this, but look what the pros run. Every top pro has Axis or PEP, sure they get paid to run them, but they work!

Dave400ex
12-09-2001, 02:24 PM
What kind of Axis rear is it, single rate/dual adjust, or dual rate/ comp. adjust? I think I would rather save and get the Axis shocks. I want the best.

Adams44
12-09-2001, 03:43 PM
It is Dual rate compression adjust. I like the spring setup real well, but it felt alittle stiff when I got it, so the Axis guy adjusted it quite a bit and that made a night and day difference.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy dual rate / dual adjust. If your spending that much on it, then you should have all of the adjustability you can get. It is set for XC, so switching to MX I am going to have to increase the springs. I bottom on big jumps, even with compression all the way in and preload adjusted up.

You are smart though, wait and get what you want. Alot of time when I try to save some money and go with a cheaper part, it doesn't work as well or fails and I end up buying the other part anyway and then your out that money.

Dave400ex
12-09-2001, 04:55 PM
The guy at Axis told me to get the dual rate/dual adjust fronts with the dual rate/compression adjust rear. I think that`s what I will do. Now I just need to get a job. I like saving and getting what I want. Most people say to just get Works, I want to get the best.

Adams44
12-09-2001, 06:30 PM
I see you have ORR motorsports listed, I am not sure were they are, but I have seen a sign for them. Do they have a lot of aftermarket parts?

Dave400ex
12-09-2001, 07:18 PM
ORR Motorsports is on State Road 9. I`m not sure if you know where Indian Springs Middle School is or not, but if you come from Fort Wayne and take 30 to Columbia City you go to the first stop light by Mcdonalds and Pizza hut. Then you turn left on 9 and follow it all the way out for I`m not sure maybe 12 or so miles and it`s on the highway. You really can`t miss it. He`s just starting out so he doesn`t have many parts, yet. He can order anything. Plus he`s alot cheaper than R&D is. He`s putting my brothers 250r motor back. I will have him do my motor work when I have it done and anything else I don`t know how to do. You should check it out. If you want to go out there I can give you the phone number and you can call and get better directions.

Have you ever been to Lake City Honda in Warsaw?