PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise Badly Please Help!!!!!

unlucky13
07-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Ok so I have a 01 400ex I got it and it only had a bottom end I have 3 choices
#1 rebuild mine will cost about 800 to get in running part labor and all
#2 found a 440 motor tons of aftermarket parts for 700 shipping and all with 0 hours.
#3 found a 440 with 10 hours on it tons of aftermarket parts but has a cracked case and the guy said that when sparks builds a motor the machine the case down for a heavy duty 440 sleeve (is this true? If so can I use a stock case?) Not sure about the price yet
what would be the cheapest and easiest way?

unlucky13
07-02-2011, 09:35 PM
And the guy with the motor with the cracked case said that he would throw in two new cases but I've heard its $500 to split a case in a shop

flyboy1294
07-02-2011, 09:53 PM
You never know what you are getting when you buy used, period. Unless he has receipts, pictures of engine reassembly with date-stamps, I would run from both options.

ALSO:
Unless a 440 is built right, they are time-bombs. Take it from a guy that rebuilt a 440 done wrong. And I am willing to be that the 440 for $700 had the HD studs, HD cam chain, and other parts needed to build a reliable atv.

Get yourself a service manual and a knowledgeable friend. It's not too bad and the EX is a great bike to learn on. You'd spend much less buying the parts and installing them yourself.

unlucky13
07-02-2011, 10:01 PM
He has all the recipts and warentry papers he said it has 0 hours on it he got outta racing so don't need it so u would still go with rebuilding mine?

flyboy1294
07-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by unlucky13
He has all the recipts and warentry papers he said it has 0 hours on it he got outta racing so don't need it so u would still go with rebuilding mine?

I still would. I rebuilt my first top end when I was 15 years old. I think anyone who has basic mechanical know-how is capable.

Download the free service manual offline, then find someone to go with you and do it yourself. The parts won't be too expensive, and then later down the road if you ever need to change a cam chain or adjust the valves, you can do it yourself and save lots of $. :macho

unlucky13
07-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Well to be completly honest I've never had luck with valves or timing and I've read the owners manual SEVERAL times and I still can't make heads or tails of it but thanks man I may still rebuild mine

hondarider421
07-02-2011, 11:29 PM
i have a 440 big bore 4 mil stroked motor wit alot of extras ported head and all i have it for sell with extra oil cooler larger tank and air shrouds and thats true a 440 not built right is a time bomb kinda i built mine and had it a yr with a stg three cam never smoked or nuttin i ended up snapping cam chain so i bought new one and installed it plus redid rings so if u interested ill sell u motor and all fo 850 plus watever shipping is plzz reply