PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar

B.C.#11TRX400EX
07-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Would a Sparks Big Core X-6 Exhaust work better than a regular X-6 exhaust on my stock 400ex? im getting a sparks exhaust system and was wondering which i should get, im getting a K&N filter with a outerwears prefilter, and stage 2 dynojet kit. what should i jet it at? i was thinkin 42 pilot and 160 main:confused: ive never jetted a carb, is that all u do is take the old jets and needle out and put the new jets and needle in?:confused: do u have to adjust the needle and jets any or just put them in? im new at quads, im only 15, but i want to have the best i can get so help me out a little guys, Thanks

B.C.#11TRX400EX
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
sorry i typed in the wrong title

CJM
07-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Id just get the regular sparks exhaust, in reality an exhaust like that is meant for a fully done up engine tho.

To jet its very easy, remove the bottom of the carb carefully (the screws can strip) and use a 6mm socket or wrench and undo the main jet, then unscrew the pilot jet and change it out, then adjust the air/fuel screw to 2-2.5 turns out from tight. To adjust the needle (most people need the 3rd notch from the flat end) just open the top, undo the 2 screws and pull up on the slide, needle will come right out. Then just move the clip to the correct notch.

Theres threads on everything you want to know in the sticky-see the link in my signature.

ridehonda400ex
07-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Didn't you say you wanted to race XC? Well if so i'd recommend a different pipe, because iirc the sparks pipes are more for top end gains. So I think a good slip-on and the stock header would suit your needs. The stock header creates good torque with the welds NOT ground. That and sparks pipes are loud. And I'm not sure if in XC racing you have to meet decibel requirements but if you do, the sparks will not make it, they are too loud.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
07-02-2011, 02:19 PM
sparks pipes are that loud really?

CJM
07-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by B.C.#11TRX400EX
sparks pipes are that loud really?

One of the loudest pipes out there.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
07-02-2011, 09:56 PM
i wonder if puting the quiet core tip in would make a difference?

ridehonda400ex
07-03-2011, 08:16 AM
BC-For your situation, i think you would be best getting a lexx pipe from rockymountainatv.com they come with lots of tips so you can go quiet core or all open for racing, plus the price is around $200 so that will save you a very good chunk of money. Then either grind the welds in your head pipe or buy a FMF powerbomb head pipe, they also decrease the decibals a little and still flow better.

Loud is nice till everyone starts b*tching at you or you can't ride on a trail because of it. Then that loudness can get your riding spot closed down, which would suck. Unless your gonna be racing mx with a full on race engine i think you will be better of with something like i described above.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
07-03-2011, 05:22 PM
thanks man i apreciate it