PDA

View Full Version : 06 450er stator eater

fomospede
07-01-2011, 05:41 PM
ok ive been with this machine for 4 yrs and 3 stators
what gives should they be replaced more? or is there something wrong here?
found rmstator.com can rebuild with
wire with higher thermal properties
and or higher output
anyone use them before?

number52
07-01-2011, 06:08 PM
The stator is an AC output stator and is only outgoing power so there shouldn't be any reason or fix for why you have so many problems that I know of.

Rich250RRacer
07-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by number52
The stator is an AC output stator and is only outgoing power so there shouldn't be any reason or fix for why you have so many problems that I know of.

I've had quite a few 06 and newer 450R's roll through my shop that have needed stators. In fact, one of my customers had two 07's that he races and had the stators fail in both quads just days apart.

DnB_racing
07-02-2011, 05:04 AM
make sure all your grounds are good, and if any work has been done to your wiring remember that the grounds cannot be common between the ac and the dc,
and if your running any aftermarket lights make sure they dont have a larger watt rating then the stator can handle

fomospede
07-02-2011, 09:31 AM
DnB
what would be grounded that would be both ac,dc on my quad
the tether runs to the frame

DnB_racing
07-02-2011, 04:55 PM
you really shouldn't have any issues with common ac dc grounds as long as your keeping the battery ground and the ignition grounds separate,
I just checked and the stator on the 450 doesnt use the block as a grounding source, like it does on the 400, or the 250,

so basically as long as the coil isn't grounded to the neg of the battery you really shouldn't have any issues,

but a bad frame ground could cause a stator issue,

airmobile101
07-02-2011, 06:08 PM
06+ stators are junk. I don't know what it is either,but I blew mine out twice. FOMOSPEDE, if you get yours rebuilt, let me know how much it runs. I still have my bad one that I blew out at Heartland last year that I can send without any down time.

DnB_racing
07-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
06+ stators are junk. I don't know what it is either,but I blew mine out twice. FOMOSPEDE, if you get yours rebuilt, let me know how much it runs. I still have my bad one that I blew out at Heartland last year that I can send without any down time. you dont even run light do you? ive seen problems with people running large aftermarket lights along with fan and stock lights, but never with a quad without any auxiliary circuit like you run yours...

are you sure yours wasn't a water issue or something grounding out?

the ignition system doesnt really put much load on the stator, usually the aux circuits fry them

airmobile101
07-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
you dont even run light do you? ive seen problems with people running large aftermarket lights along with fan and stock lights, but never with a quad without any auxiliary circuit like you run yours...

are you sure yours wasn't a water issue or something grounding out?

the ignition system doesnt really put much load on the stator, usually the aux circuits fry them
The first time I blew it, no light was involved. The second time there were lights involved. Chit happens........

fomospede
07-02-2011, 09:35 PM
yeah ive ran lights but was fine for 6months after

will post up where i send rebuild and cost

is there some reason there are no aftermarket stators available?

DnB_racing
07-02-2011, 11:15 PM
one thing you might want to consider is your reg/rec

the reg/rec is part of the charging system, any voltage generated by the stator over 14.5 volts will short out to ground by the regulator so you dont over charge your battery,

if you've been having a problem with battery charging along with your stator it might be your regulator

if your not running high voltage lighting then I would say the problem is in the regulator